Japan Women's Race to Tokyo 2020 Singles

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Filus for the first 2 games...

G2, 4:8, 10:8, 11:9.
G3, 1:8, 2:8, 5:8, TO for Filus, 8:8, 10:8, 10:10, 10:11, 11:11, 12:11, 12:12, 12:14.
G4, 8:3, 8:4, 9:4, 9:5, 11:5.
G5, 0:4, 1:4, 1:6, 2:6, 2:7, 5:7, 5:8, 6:8, 6:10, 7:10, 7:11.
G6, 0:1, 1:1, 1:2, 4:2, 5:2, 5:3, 6:3, 6:4, 6:5, TO for Harimoto, 6:6, 6:7, 8:7, 8:8, 11:8.

The score swings around so much it's nauseating.

DVzl4vl.jpg

nUVD25Z.jpg

ja38n0F.jpg

UBPJB8N.jpg

8sHGs7Y.jpg

3n7S01c.jpg

ASU3zKO.jpg

5MxRyJQ.jpg

QEnby8f.jpg

mrcGeLy.jpg

7Oz4YoU.jpg

Never forget 3.11. 10-year anniversary.
SJrs7mo.jpg

BR2cQ1C.jpg

iNhPuWt.jpg

s456nM7.jpg

wQ3vB0r.jpg

Tzx0AYD.jpg

cTjh6xj.jpg

UGYSS0c.jpg

RnUD3hH.jpg

Gotta blink...
5LbVxLs.jpg

bL2HSCM.jpg

WOJiGWn.jpg

8TwpD4o.jpg

UgfdF8p.jpg

2k9YSop.jpg

4yjAKv9.jpg

v2V3S2S.jpg

ZZzEvts.jpg

DR4i0V4.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 2018
Ito didn't play all that well here in Doha...

https://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/202103140001355.html
卓球女子代表の伊藤美誠が帰国「力を出し切った」
[2021年3月14日22時49分]

東京五輪で卓球女子代表の伊藤美誠(20=スターツ)が14日、今年初の国際大会を終え帰国した。

カタール・ドーハで行われたWTT中東シリーズのシングルスで2大会連続優勝。伊藤は「絶好調ではなかったが1試合ごと、1日ごと力を出し切って優勝までいけた」と納得の表情だった。今大会は世界トップの中国勢が出場しなかった。新型コロナウイルスの感染状況次第では五輪本番まで中国勢と対戦しない可能性もあるが「いきなり本番でも大丈夫という自信がある」と言い切った。国際卓球連盟(ITTF)は五輪までの国際大会について5月に中国で2大会、6月にハンガリーで1大会を実施する考えだが、伊藤は「まだ出場するかを決めていない。しっかり話し合って決めたい」と話した。
Having won the WTT Middle East series singles in Doha, Qatar for the second time in a row, Ito said, "I wasn't in great shape, but for every match, I was able to do my best every day to win the title." China, the world's top, did not participate in this tournament. Depending on the infection rate of the novel coronavirus, it may not be possible to play against China until the Olympics, but she said, "I have the confidence to say that I am ready to play on a moment's notice." The International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) plans to hold two international tournaments up to the Olympics, one in China in May and one in Hungary in June, but Ito said, "I haven't decided whether to participate yet as I want to decide after careful thought and consideration."

Reactions: Vlad Celler
Jan 2018
LYJ made tons of errors but woke up after the TO in G2. OTOH, LSS blacked out (once again after WTTC 2019 and ATTC 2019). Everything was going so well for them.

VdAOflE.jpg

JJH: WTH, ajeossi(instead of oppa)?
jYdUReH.jpg

zwiQdYF.jpg

LSS: Blame it on me!
MSeVMnz.jpg

Zheng Jiaqi: "They're very afraid of LYJ's shots!" 🤣

https://www.cna.com.tw/news/firstnews/202103135008.aspx
不料今天開局,「黃金混雙」打得有些被動,首局就以10比12棄守,次局又以3比6落後,台灣組合也喊出暫停,指導教練鄭佳奇透露,暫停當下僅告訴兩人:「對手很怕林昀儒的球,只要把球打上台,對手會怕就會失誤。」
事實上鄭佳奇早在上週WTT卡達站就訂定要奪雙冠的目標,如今「黃金混雙」如願達標,她也透露,在中國移訓3個月,兩人默契更好,場上也各司其職,「配球主要交給林昀儒,場上的氣勢與必勝信念,就讓鄭怡靜帶著弟弟。」

她並開玩笑地說,現在兩人打法就像「人球合一」,「不像過去兩人各打各的,現在比較有整體性。」
Unexpectedly, at the start of today’s game, the "Golden Mixed Doubles" played a bit passively. The first game was abandoned 10-12, and the second game was 3-6 behind. The Taiwanese pair also called a timeout. Coach Zheng Jiaqi revealed that during the timeout she told the two that "the opponent is very afraid of Lin Yun-Ju's shots. As long as he lands the ball, the opponent will be afraid and so will make errors."
In fact, Zheng Jiaqi set the goal of winning the doubles title at WTT Doha as early as last week. Now the "Golden Mixed Doubles" has reached the target as expected. She also revealed that after 3 months of training in China, the two have a better understanding of each other. They also perform their duties. "Shot selection is mainly assigned to Lin Yun-Ju, whereas the match flow and belief in victory are left to Cheng I-Ching to lead the younger brother."

She also jokingly said that now the two of them play like "one with the ball." "It's not like in the past where the two played separately. Now they are more integrated."

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
https://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/202103140001355.html

Having won the WTT Middle East series singles in Doha, Qatar for the second time in a row, Ito said, "I wasn't in great shape, but for every match, I was able to do my best every day to win the title." China, the world's top, did not participate in this tournament. Depending on the infection rate of the novel coronavirus, it may not be possible to play against China until the Olympics, but she said, "I have the confidence to say that I am ready to play on a moment's notice." The International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) plans to hold two international tournaments up to the Olympics, one in China in May and one in Hungary in June, but Ito said, "I haven't decided whether to participate yet as I want to decide after careful thought and consideration."

Thank you Zeio!
Very interesting information!

It is still completely unclear whether the Grand Smash tournaments will take place in China and Hungary ...

C.M. - 13825
ITO Mima - 12081
SUN Yingsha - 11480

CHENG I-Ching - 8256
ISHIKAWA Kasumi - 7860
F.T. - 7830

• Love
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
if ITO stays N2, CNT won't be able to secure their 2 players in two different halves, and it doesn't really matter to select BOTH Chen Meng and SUN Yingsha, they could choose really anyone in their roster like for example WMY + LSW. Although given their track record v ITO, CM+SYS both are the most likely choice. But we could have a surprise ? WANG Manyu who beated ITO badly recently ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
if ITO stays N2, CNT won't be able to secure their 2 players in two different halves, and it doesn't really matter to select BOTH Chen Meng and SUN Yingsha, they could choose really anyone in their roster like for example WMY + LSW. Although given their track record v ITO, CM+SYS both are the most likely choice. But we could have a surprise ? WANG Manyu who beated ITO badly recently ?

Unpopular opinion but I would actually go with LSW, CM and WMY. Not gonna talk about the division of labour here insofar as who plays Singles etc., but merely bearing in mind Doubles flexibility for the team event. I find the pairings of CM/SYS and WMY/SYS rather unimpressive (granted the latter did win the WTTC but lost four other opens which calls their stability into question) while the pairings of LSW/CM and CM/WMY have been come through on a number of occasions (LSW/WMY is promising and made the finals then but that was an one-off event). A little myopic perhaps by focusing only on one event, coupled with how the world (including Chinese coaches) seems to be falling head over heels for SYS, but since we're on the topic of surprise selections 🤣.

Jan 2018
Harimoto cut the Korean charade from last week, which was honestly a sign of doubt in your own strength. As Waldner advised in their exclusive interview, "don't be afraid to play your game." He did just that the second time, returning to his origin, going toe to toe with Ovtcharov in BH rallies and beating him at his own game. No flashy tricks. No gotcha tactics. Just raw strength.

Harimoto's interviews before and after WTT Doha below.

https://rallys.online/topic/tleague/210226kinoshita-harimoto/
3月のWTT中東シリーズに出場するが

明日出発。また国際大会がスタートする。今回は中国選手がいない中、第1シードになったので、優勝できるように頑張っていきたい。今は全ての技術に少し自信があるので、2大会とも結果を求めて優勝できるようにしたい。
WTT Middle East Hub in March

Departing tomorrow, the international competition will start again. This time I am the 1st seed in the absence of CNT players, so I would like to do my best to win the title. Now that I am a little confident in all the techniques, I want to be able to win both tournaments in search of results.

https://world-tt.com/blog/news/archives/3386
「自分のためと言うよりも(被災地の)みんなのために良い試合を見せることができた」張本智和

WTT中東ハブから帰国した張本智和の会見がリモートで行われた。

張本はWTTコンテンダーでは準決勝でオフチャロフ(ドイツ)に敗れたものの、スターコンテンダーではオフチャロフに準決勝で雪辱し、決勝ではドイツのカットマン、フィルスに勝ち、優勝を決めた。

ーースターコンテンダーの勝因は?

張本 コンテンダーでは準決勝で負けたけれども、良い試合ができて、良い流れでスターコンテンダーに入れた。3.11(東日本大震災)から10年目という節目で、自分のためと言うよりも(被災地の)みんなのために良い試合を見せることができた。自分のためよりも、みんなのためにという気持ちで戦えたことでメンタルが少し楽になって戦えた。準決勝のオフチャロフ戦では中陣での打ち合いで互角に戦えたのでプレーに厚みが出てきたと思います。

ーー東京五輪を見据えて今大会にかける意気込みはどういうものだったのか?

張本 今大会で優勝して大きく変わることはないです。一番はオリンピックを想定して、準決勝、決勝まで行くことを考えていました。ただ、この2大会が始まるまでは自信がなかった。実際には、大会を通してオフチャロフ以外はストレートとか、4-1、4-2での試合が多く、自信になりました。

ーーそのオフチャロフ戦に関しては?

張本 コンテンダーでも出足は良かったけど、長いラリーでは良くなかった。スターコンテンダーでは粘っていこうと試合に臨んで、粘り強い試合ができた。(スターコンテンダーで)鄭栄植、オフチャロフ戦でもリードをされてからの逆転で今までにない展開で勝つことができた。

ーー中国でのWTTが微妙だけど、もしあったら出ますか?

張本 ワールドランキングも関係しますけど、出たい気持ちもあるし、棄権をするかもしれないし、ただ現時点では出たい気持ちのほうが強いですね。

ーー今大会、サービス、レシーブという点ではどうでしたか?

張本 サービスはTリーグでも自信をつけたんですが、そのサービスが効かなかった時もあったし、違うサービスが効いた時も会ったので新しい発見がありました。レシーブでは課題もありました。相手に強打されない展開ならラリー戦でも巻き返せる。レシーブを丁寧に返せば、ラリーでも点を取れる自信がつきました。
"I was able to show a good match for everyone (in the disaster area) rather than for myself." - Harimoto

A remote interview with Tomokazu Harimoto, who returned from the WTT Middle East hub, was conducted.

Harimoto lost to Ovtcharov(Germany) in the semi-final of the WTT Contender, but took revenge on Ovtcharov in the semi-final of the Star Contender, and defeated German chopper Filus in the final to win the title.

--What is the reason for the victory in Star Contender?

Harimoto: Although I lost in the semi-final at the Contender, I was able to play a good match and entered the Star Contender on a good note. In the 10th-year anniversary after 3.11 (Great East Japan Earthquake), I was able to show a good match for everyone (in the disaster-stricken area) rather than for myself. Being able to fight for everyone rather than for myself made my mind a little easier. In the semi-final match against Ovtcharov, I was able to fight evenly in the mid-distance rallies, so I think that my play has become thicker.

--What was your enthusiasm for this tournament in anticipation of the Tokyo Olympics?

Harimoto: It won't change much after winning this tournament. First of all, assuming the Olympics, I was thinking of reaching the semi-final and final. However, I was not confident before these two tournaments started. Actually, throughout the tournament, other than Ovtcharov, there were many straight games, 4-1 and 4-2, which boosted my confidence.

--What about the Ovtcharov match?

Harimoto: It was a good start at Contender, but it wasn't good in the long rallies. At Star Contender, I faced the match head-on, and I was able to play a tenacious match. Against Jeoung Youngsik and Ovtcharov (in Star Contender), I was able to win in an unprecedented development by turning the tables after trailing behind.

--WTT in China is pending, but if there is, will you come out to play?

Harimoto: It has to do with world ranking as well, and I have a desire to come out, or I might pull out, but at the moment I have a stronger desire to come out.

--How was this tournament, in terms of service and receive?

Harimoto: I gained confidence on service in the T-League, but there were times when the service didn't work, and when a different service worked, so I made a new discovery. There were also challenges in receiving. If my return does not get punished by the opponent, I could find a way out in the rally. By returning the receive carefully, I was confident that I could score points in the rallies.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
I cannot find any information about possible WTT Grand Smash tournaments ...
In China or Hungary ...
No information ... but there is not much time left until May ...

Jan 2018
Valuable insights in Kurashima's interview on Harimoto before and after the WTT Middle East hub.

https://world-tt.com/blog/news/archives/3393
カタールから帰国の倉嶋洋介監督「張本の優勝は何よりの自信になる」

ITTF(国際卓球連盟)による新たな国際大会のフォーム、『WTT(World Table Tennis)』の本格的な幕開けとなったカタール・ドーハでのコンテンダー/スターコンテンダー2大会。張本智和(木下グループ)はコンテンダーでは準決勝でオフチャロフ(ドイツ)に敗れて3位となったが、続くスターコンテンダーの準決勝でそのオフチャロフに見事なリベンジ。決勝では破竹(はちく)の勢いで勝ち上がってきたカットのフィルス(ドイツ)を4−2で下し、鮮やかな優勝を決めた。
張本選手のベンチに入った男子NTの倉嶋洋介監督に、2大会を戦い終えた張本選手についての感想を聞いた。

−−−まず、張本選手の2大会での戦いぶりについて、率直に振り返ってもらえますか?

倉嶋洋介監督(以下・倉嶋):コロナ禍でずっと満足が行く練習ができず、全日本選手権もTリーグでもプレーがあまり良くない状況だったんですけど、全日本が終わってからTリーグの合間でもなるべくNTC(ナショナルトレーニングセンター)で合宿を行いました。

ただ、張本自身も自信はなかったと思います。調子は戻ってきていたけど、それを披露する場がなかった。WTTでカタールに入る前は、不安のほうが大きかったんじゃないかと思います。しかし、蓋(ふた)を開けてみると、これまで以上に良いプレーが出てきていたし、課題点もクリアできた部分が多かった。五輪に向けて、大きな自信になったと思います。

−−−NTCでの合宿で取り組んできた、修正すべき点とはどのようなものでしょうか?

倉嶋:ひとつはフォームの修正ですね。そこが一番大きなところです。彼はもともと前陣での高速卓球で、これからパワーをつけていかないといけませんが、その高速卓球の中でフォアとバックの切り替えがあまり良くなかった。よりスムーズに切り替えができるよう、いろいろ提案していった。重心も少し後ろにかかる形になっていて、そのままだと戻りが悪くなり、体重移動もうまく使えないので、良い前傾姿勢を保てるように修正していった。彼自身もそれを理解してくれて、かなり良い形で1ヶ月半くらい練習に取り組めていた。

コロナ禍であまり動く練習がなかったので、武器はバックハンドなんですけど、それ以上に動いてフォアハンドで打つ練習も全日本後から続けてきた。それがバックハンドの良さにも繋がっていた。

−−−最初に行われたコンテンダーでの、大会への入りはどうだったでしょう?

倉嶋:コンテンダーでは初戦で荘智淵(チャイニーズタイペイ)とやって、去年のカタールオープンで負けた相手だった。同じカタールで、また荘智淵とやるのもちょっと運命的でしたけど、しっかり対策を立てて完勝できた。それで少し自信がついて、李尚洙(韓国)に勝ち、準決勝でオフチャロフとやるところまで勝ち上がった。

オフチャロフも調子が良くて、出足ではサービス・レシーブがうまくいって2ゲームを先取しましたけど、だんだんラリーが続くようになってきて、オフチャロフのバックにボールが集まりすぎて、相手の調子が上がっていってしまった。コース取りとしては、フォアやミドルを突くという作戦の話もしていたんですけど、どうしても相手の球威に押されてしまって、コースを限定された。オフチャロフのパワーに圧倒され、プレッシャーをかけられてしまったのが敗因だった。

スターコンテンダーの準決勝で再戦した時は、張本がコースをうまく散らして、オフチャロフにあまり強打を許さない印象があった。やはり修正能力は高いですね。1週間前に負けた相手だから、不安はあったと思いますけど、反省を生かして結果を残したのはさすがだなと思います。そして彼の中では、「3.11」への思いも強かった。何が何でも優勝したいという気持ちが伝わってきて、最後まで崩れず、迷わず戦い抜いた。「WASURENAI 3.11」という気持ちは、張本本人にとって強い支えだったと思います。

−−−スターコンテンダーの初戦は、アジア選手権の団体戦で敗れたことのあるグナナセカラン(インド)。2回戦の相手はアルナ(ナイジェリア)で、難敵が多い中をしっかり勝ち上がっていった印象でした。

倉嶋:コンテンダーの最初はちょっと崩れそうな場面もあったけど、スターコンテンダーでは崩れずに戦っていった。コンテンダーもスターコンテンダーも組み合わせは厳しかったし、1回や2回は負けている相手に対策を立てながら、しっかり勝てたのは大きいですね。

−−−決勝のフィルスも難敵でしたね。試合前の予想では「五分五分」という感じがしました。

倉嶋:フィルスに対しては1勝1敗で、直近の対戦では勝っているけど、本当にギリギリでした。非常にタフな試合になると、試合前から想像はしていました。今大会でのフィルスを見ていると、サービスから3球目で積極的に攻めてくる。カットの前に最大限の攻撃を仕掛けてくるスタイルなので、レシーブでの対策が重要だった。3球目で打たれて、そこで4点、5点取られなければ勝てるだろうなと思っていました。

実はフィルスとの決勝だけ、準決勝までとは違うラケットを使ったんですよ。ラバーの調整がうまくいかなくて、試合前に急遽ラケットを変えたんですけど、やはり最初はうまくフィットしなくて、下回転のボールをほとんど落とさない張本がネットミスをしていた。それでも相手の攻撃のプレッシャーをうまくかわして勝つことができましたね。フィルスも「あまりラリーにはしたくない」という感じのプレーで、その中でうまくミスを誘っていた。

−−−今回はカタールに到着後、2日間の隔離期間があったと思いますが、現地での新型コロナウイルス対策はどうでしたか?

倉嶋:カタールは選手の事情を考慮して、完全隔離が2日間だけだったり、検査も選手に負担のかからない形でやってくれた。「この日のこの間の時間に来て、いつでも良いから検査を受けてください」という感じで、我々としてもあまりストレスは感じなかった。ただ、これから帰国後の2週間の隔離期間があります。この隔離期間を考えると、国際大会への出場は非常に難しい判断になる。まだまだこのコロナ禍でのスポーツは厳しい面がたくさんあります。

−−−今後の国際大会の見通しも不透明な中で、張本選手は開催された2大会のうち1大会で優勝できた。この意義は大きいですね。

倉嶋:優勝は何より自信になりますし、今回も中国以外の国の選手は出ていた。張本はコンテンダーが3位で、スターコンテンダーが優勝。大きい成果だったと思います。今後の国際大会はどうなるかわからないし、その状況次第で判断しながら、何より東京五輪に向けてしっかり調整していきたい。フォームの改善については、80%以上は良いものになってきています。後はそれを徹底しながら、以前からの課題もフォローしながら、もちろん中国対策もしっかりやっていきたいですね。
Head coach Yosuke Kurashima returning from Qatar "Harimoto's victory gives him confidence above all else"

Contender/Star Contender, the 2 tournaments in Doha, Qatar, which marked the full-scale opening of "WTT(World Table Tennis)", is a new form of international tournament by the ITTF (International Table Tennis Federation). Tomokazu Harimoto(Kinoshita Group) lost to Ovtcharov(Germany) in the semi-final of Contender and finished 3rd, but in the subsequent semi-final of Star Contender, he had a fantastic revenge on Ovtcharov. In the final, he defeated chopper Filus(Germany), who had been winning with unstoppable momentum, 4-2 to claim a vivid victory.
We asked head coach Yosuke Kurashima of the men's NT who sat in Harimoto's coaching seat about his impressions of Harimoto after the 2 tournaments.

--- First of all, can you give us an honest review of Harimoto's battles in the 2 tournaments?

Head coach Yosuke Kurashima(Kurashima hereinafter): Satisfactory practice has not been possible due to the corona crisis. The All-Japan Championships and T-League games were not very good. However, after the end of All-Japan, I tried my best to conduct training camps at NTC(National Training Center) between sessions of the T-League.

However, I don't think Harimoto himself was confident. He was back in shape, but he didn't have a place to show it. Before I entered WTT Qatar, I think I was more anxious. However, when the lid was opened, it turned out the play was better than ever, and there were many areas where I was able to clear the issues. I think I have gained a lot of confidence toward the Olympics.

--- What are the points that you have been working on during the training camp at NTC that need to be corrected?

Kurashima: One is the modification of the form. That is the biggest place. He was originally high-speed table tennis close to the table, and it's time to add power from now on, but switching between forehand and backhand was not very good in that high-speed table tennis. Various proposals have been made so that switching could be done more smoothly. The center of gravity is also slightly behind, and if left alone, recovery will be difficult and the weight transfer will not be used well, so it was corrected in order to maintain a good forward leaning posture. He understood that himself and was practicing in a pretty good way for about a 1.5 months.

He didn't practice much on movement due to the corona crisis, and backhand is his weapon, but he has continued to practice moving more and hitting with the forehand since after the All-Japan. That also led to the strong point of the backhand.

--- How was your entry into the tournament at the first Contender?

Kurashima: At Contender, he played Chuang Chih-Yuan in the first match, whom he lost at the Qatar Open last year. It was a bit fateful to do it again in Qatar with Chuang Chih-Yuan, but proper measures were taken and he won the match. So he got a little more confident and beat Lee Sangsu(Korea Republic), to the point where he could do it with Ovtcharov in the semi-final.

Ovtcharov was also in good shape, and in the beginning, the service and receive went well and he took 2 games in advance, but gradually as the rally continued, the shots gathered too much around Ovtcharov's backhand, and the opponent's condition improved. As for the course, even though the strategy was to aim for the forehand and middle, but he was pushed back by the opponent's power and so the course was limited. The cause of defeat was that he was overwhelmed by the power of Ovtcharov and was under pressure.

For the semi-final rematch at Star Contender, I had the impression that Harimoto scattered the course well and did not allow Ovtcharov to put in strong shots too much. Indeed, his correction ability is high. I think there was some worry because he lost a week ago, but he made use of his reflection and left a result. And in his heart, he had a strong feeling for "3.11". He felt that he had to win no matter what, and he didn't collapse until the end and fought without hesitation. I think that the feeling of "WASURENAI 3.11" was a strong support for Harimoto himself.

--- The first match of the Star Contender is Gnanasekaran(India), whom he lost in the team competition of the Asian Championships. The opponent in the 2nd round was Aruna(Nigeria), and I had the impression that he had won firmly despite the many difficult opponents.

Kurashima: At the beginning of Contender, there were times that he seemed to collapse, but at Star Contender, he fought without collapsing. The match-ups of Contender and Star Contender were tough, and it was a big win while taking measures against the opponent whom he lost once or twice.

--- Filus in the final was also a difficult opponent. I felt that it was "50/50" before the match.

Kurashima: 1 win and 1 loss against Filus. Although he won in the previous match, it was really close. I had imagined that it would be a very tough match even before the match. Looking at Filus in this tournament, he attacks aggressively with the 3rd ball starting from the service. Since it is a style that launches the maximum attack before the chops, it was important to take measures when receiving. Hit by the 3rd balls, I thought I would win if he couldn't get 4 or 5 points there.

Actually, for the final against Filus, he used a different racket from the one for the semifinal. The rubber adjustment didn't go well, so he changed the racket in a hurry before the match, but Harimoto, who hardly drops on backspin balls, didn't adapt well at first and sent shots into the net. Even so, he was able to overcome the pressure of the opponent's attack and win. Filus also gave off the vibe that "I don't want go into the rally too much", from which misses were induced.

--- I think there was a 2-day quarantine period after arriving in Qatar this time. How was the measures against the novel coronavirus at the venue?

Kurashima: In consideration of the circumstances of the players, Qatar did the complete isolation for only 2 days, and the inspection was done in a way that did not burden the players. We didn't feel much stress because we felt like, "come at this time of the day and take the test anytime." However, there will be a 2-week quarantine period after returning to Japan. Given this quarantine period, participation in international competitions is a very difficult decision. There are still many tough aspects for sports during this corona crisis.

--- While the outlook for future international competitions is uncertain, Harimoto was able to win 1 of the 2 competitions held. That is significant.

Kurashima: Winning is more confident than anything else, and there were players from countries other than China this time as well. Harimoto finished in 3rd place at Contender and won at Star Contender. I think it was a big achievement. I don't know what will happen to the international competition in the future, and I would like to make adjustments for the Tokyo Olympics, while making judgments depending on the situation. When it comes to form improvements, over 80% are getting better. After that, I would like to thoroughly implement it, follow up on the issues from before, and of course take measures against China.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
https://rallys.online/topic/international/20210314wtt-hirano-kikoku/
平野美宇、1年ぶり国際大会から帰国 石川佳純とのペアに手応え

14日、卓球女子で東京五輪代表に内定している平野美宇(日本生命)がカタール遠征から帰国し、オンラインでの取材に応じた。

平野は昨年3月のカタールオープン以来約1年ぶりの国際大会となったが、新設されたWTT2大会で石川佳純(全農)とのダブルスで活躍。「コンテンダー」で優勝、「スターコンテンダー」で準優勝した。

平野は石川とのペアで東京五輪の団体戦でのダブルス起用が有力視されているが、コロナ禍に加え、平野と石川はTリーグでも別チームに所属するため、ペアとしての練習機会は限定的だった。

それでも1月の全日本選手権後には「(石川佳純)定期的に期間を空けずに少しずつ、練習できたのでそれが良かった。でも試合は1年ぶりで、その中でいい結果が出せたのは自信になりました」と手応えを掴んだ。

一方、シングルスは東京五輪の団体戦で対戦の可能性があるユ・モンユ(シンガポール)、申裕斌(韓国)に敗れ、いずれもベスト16と課題を残した。「Tリーグや全日本(選手権)には出ていたんですけど、海外の試合は1年ぶりだったので、またちょっと違った。」「各国の代表選手とやって、やはりレベルの高さを感じたので、私ももっともっと強くならないとと思った。色んな技術も成長させ、戦術ももっと幅広く出来るようになりたい」と前を向いた。

平野は2020年のパンデミック期間中に腰を痛め、11月のITTFファイナルを続けて欠場していたが、年明けのTリーグ、全日本選手権で実戦復帰。団体戦のTリーグでは、年間王者を決める2月のファイナルでダブルスとシングルスで勝負強さを見せ、チームの3連覇に貢献した。

平野は今夏の東京五輪団体戦に照準を合わせ、隔離期間も調整を続ける。平野のカタール遠征全11試合のスコアとオンライン会見でのやりとりは以下の通り。

平野美宇 帰国後会見

カタール遠征の振り返り

2大会あったんですけど、シングルスは良いところもあったけど、課題やもっとこうした方が良いかなというのがすごく分かった試合だった。ダブルスは久しぶりに石川さんと組んで試合に出たんですけど、一番最初の大会で優勝することが出来て、次の大会も準優勝だったんですけど、オリンピックまでにどうしたらいいかがすごく分かった大会だったので収穫になりました。

手応えを掴んだシーン

ダブルスは久しぶりで、だんだん1回ずつよくなっていった。練習の成果がすごく出ていた。決勝に韓国ペアに敗れてしまったんですけど、また当たる時があると思うので、次こうした方が良いという戦術もやってみて分かったことがあったのでそこが収穫でした。

ダブルス、この1年間は石川佳純と練習できたのか?

2020年、自粛期間はなかなか練習ができなかった。今年になって、全日本終わってからは定期的に期間を空けずに少しずつ、ちょこちょこ練習できたのでそれが良かった。でも試合は1年ぶりで、練習(できた)のもここ最近だったので、その中でいい結果が出せたのは自信になりました。

石川佳純とのペア。特にサーブ、レシーブからの手応えについて

ワンパターンじゃなくて、一つのレシーブでうまくいっていない時も、戦術転換して、逆にこっちいってみようとやっても3球目(攻撃)がしっかり打てる。連携ができるようになってきた。一つ技術だけでなく、色んなことを試しても分かり合えるようになってきたのが、練習の成果が出てよかったと思う。

この1年間でのペアとしての成長は

レシーブやサーブなどいろんなパターンが増えた。組ませてもらってだんだんお互いのことが分かるようになったと思う。苦しい場面でも挽回できたり、いい戦いが出来た。

オリンピックまでの課題

今回試合したペアでも、これから当たっていくんじゃないかなというペアもいた。色んな国の選手と試合をして、もっと色んな戦術を増やして対策しながら練習していきたい。

シングルス、久々の国際大会の手応え

国際大会はレベルが高く、緊張感もTリーグとは違った。各国の代表選手とやって、やはりレベルの高さを感じたので、私ももっともっと強くならないとと思った。色んな技術も成長させ、戦術ももっと幅広く出来るようになりたい。

シングルスの課題について

Tリーグや全日本(選手権)には出ていたんですけど、海外の試合は1年ぶりだったので、またちょっと違った。海外の選手とやって今の自分の課題を分かることができた。もっと強くなりたいと思った。

今後の予定

隔離期間は隔離の中でも出来る練習をして、その後はナショナルチームの合宿や日本生命の練習場で試合に向けて練習していく予定です。

今後への意気込み

次の試合は、はっきりいつになるか決まっていないんですけど、夏のオリンピックに向けてシングルスもダブルスも両方もっと強くなれるように頑張っていきたい。
Miu Hirano returns from international competition for the first time in a year, responding to pairing with Kasumi Ishikawa

On the 14th, Miu Hirano(Nippon Life Insurance Company), appointed as the women's representative for the Tokyo Olympics, returned from the Qatar expedition and accepted an online interview.

Hirano participated in her first international tournament in about a year since the Qatar Open in March last year, and played an active part in doubles with Kasumi Ishikawa(Zen-Noh) in the 2 newly established WTT tournaments, finishing 1st at "Contender" and 2nd at "Star Contender".

The pair of Hirano and Ishikawa is viewed as the go-to doubles in the team event at the Tokyo Olympics, but due to the corona crisis, and that Hirano and Ishikawa belong to different teams in the T-League, practice opportunities as a pair were limited.

Even so, after the All-Japan Championships in January, she indicated "(Kasumi Ishikawa) did not set aside free time regularly, but instead practiced little by little, which was good. But this was my first competition in a year, and being able to get good results, I've become confident."

On the other hand, she lost to Yu Mengyu(Singapore) and Shin Yubin(Korea Republic) in singles to finish best 16, whom she may run into in the team event of the Tokyo Olympics. "I played in the T-League and All Japan (Championships), but it was the first time in a year for overseas competitions, so it was a little different." "As the representative players of their countries, I could feel their high level, so I thought I must become even stronger. I want to hone various techniques and develop a wider range of tactics."

Hirano hurt her back during the 2020 pandemic and was absent from the ITTF final in November, but returned to the battle field in the T-League and All-Japan Championships at the beginning of the year. In the team-based T-League, she showed her strength in doubles and singles in the playoff final in February, and contributed to the team's third back-to-back championship.

Hirano will continue to adjust during the quarantine period, aiming for the team event in Tokyo Olympics this summer. The scores of all 11 match for Hirano's Qatar expedition and the dialogs in the online interview are as follows.

Miu Hirano's interview after returning to Japan

Looking back on the Qatar expedition

There were 2 tournaments, and although there were some highlights in singles, they were tournaments in which I really understood the challenges and whether it would've been better to do this. I played in the doubles with Ishikawa-san after a long time, but I was able to win the first tournament and also finished runner-up in the next tournament, and I really knew what to do before the Olympics. I got something out of it.

Rising to the occasion

It's been a while since I played doubles, and it's getting better one by one. The result of the practice was very good. We lost to the Korean pair in the final, but I think there will be times when we will meet again, so I learned that it would be better to do this next time.

For doubles, have you been able to practice with Kasumi Ishikawa for the past year?

In 2020, I couldn't practice during the self-restraint period. This year, after the All-Japan, little free time was set aside regularly, but instead we practiced little by little, which was good. However, it was the first time to compete in a year, and I had been practicing recently, so I was confident that I would be able to get good results.

Pairing with Kasumi Ishikawa, especially about the sense of service and receive

Even if one pattern or one receive is not working well, you can change the tactics, try to go the other way and hit the 3rd ball (attack) well. It has become possible to cooperate. I'm glad to see the results of the practice because we were able to understand each other by trying various things, and not just one technique.

Growth as a pair over the past year

Various patterns of receive and service have increased. I think we've gradually come to understand each other. I was able to recover even in difficult situations and had a good fight.

Challenges for the Olympics

Whether it's the pairs that we played this time, or the pairs that we will face from now on, I would like to play against players from various countries, increase various tactics, and practice while taking measures.

Reaction to playing singles in international competition after a long absence

The level of international competition is very high, and the tension is different from that of the T-League. When I played with the representatives of each country, I felt the high level, so I thought I must become even stronger. I want to hone various techniques and develop a wider range of tactics.

Issues for singles

I played in the T-League and All-Japan (Championships), but it was the first time in a year for overseas competitions, so it was a little different. I was able to understand my current challenges by playing with overseas players. I wanted to become stronger.

Plans for future

During the isolation period, we will practice whatever we can do in isolation, and then we will practice for the match at the national training camp and the practice hall of Nippon Life.

Enthusiasm for the future

I haven't decided when the next competition will be, but I'd like to do my best to become stronger in both singles and doubles for the Summer Olympics.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
Ito's 2-part interview.

伊藤美誠“単10連勝”で負けなし帰国 「ドーハ2大会総括」「隔離期間の予定」を会見で語った
https://rallys.online/topic/international/20210314wtt-mima-kikoku1/

世界ランク2位、伊藤美誠 “世界一”見据えた「フォルト対策」と「中国研究」の方法とは
https://rallys.online/topic/international/20210314wtt-mima-kikoku2/

Harimoto's interview with Rallys with some more detail.

張本智和「皆さんに優勝を届けられて嬉しい」 3.11から10年、節目の国際大会優勝し帰国
https://rallys.online/topic/international/210315wtt-harimoto/
張本智和、オンライン会見でのコメント

今季国際大会初優勝の要因

コンテンダーの大会では、全日本ぶりのトーナメントの大会で少し自信はなかった。(コンテンダーの)準決勝で負けてからも、良い試合はできたという実感はあったので、自信をしっかり掴んで2大会目で決勝まで行くことができて、最後しっかり勝ち切れて良かったです。

2大会とも準決勝で対戦したオフチャロフ選手との試合について

(1大会目の)コンテンダーの方が出だしが良かったが、簡単に点を取りすぎた分、長いラリーのときに対応できなくて、2-0から簡単に逆転されて粘りが全然なかった。

逆に(2大会目の)スターコンテンダーは1ゲームとられてからも、最初から粘ろうという気持ちがあった。いろんなサーブを試したり、コースで崩したり、そこがコンテンダーより準備できたところだと思います。

優勝の瞬間、胸の「WASURENAI 3.11」の文字を見せていた。特別な気持ちがあったのか

いつもは自分のために勝つ、勝たないといけないというプレッシャーがあった。今回はみなさんのためにという気持ちで、逆にその分気持ちも楽に戦えましたし、皆さんがついていると思ってプレーしていました。

「みなさんのために」という気持ちで楽に戦えた今回の経験は今後に活きるか

今大会(節目の10年ということで)どうしても勝ちたかった。ただ、今までの反省として特に勝ちたいというときに全然勝てていなかった。

勝つためにそこまで勝ちたいと思わないようにプレーすることで、出だしはそんなに緊張せずに戦うことができましたし、逆に競った場面では勝ちたい気持ちを前面に出して、残り1ゲーム、2ゲームのときは後がない気持ちで戦って、そのメンタルのバランスはこの2大会で良かったと思います。

中国選手が不参加の大会で、ランキング下の選手に確実に勝って優勝できたことの意味

一番は五輪の準決勝までの試合を想定していたので、そこまで行けるのかもしれないと今大会を通じて思えました。

負けたのもオフチャロフ選手との1回。(五輪でオフチャロフ選手と)対戦するとしても準々決勝、準決勝になると思うので、そこまでは確実にいけると思えたのは良い収穫だったと思います。

技術的な面での優勝できた要因は

特に(スターコンテンダー)準決勝のオフチャロフ戦では、中陣でも互角に打ち合えたり、相手が決まったと思ったボールを返せたりすることも結構あったので、自分が積極的に攻めるボール以外でも得点が増えたというのは、プレーに厚みがでたのかなと思います。

サーブレシーブへの手応え

サービスはTリーグで結構自信がついていたが、Tリーグで効いたサーブとまた違うサーブが効いていたり、逆にTリーグで効いていたサーブが効かなかったりといろんな発見があった。

それでも全体的にサービスの得点率が高かったですし、(準決勝の)オフチャロフ選手や(決勝の)フィルス選手との試合ではレシーブがあんまりよくなかったので、やっぱりレシーブの課題が今は一番あると思います。

ラリーへの手応え

相手に強打されない展開のラリーだったら、少し押されていても巻き返せたプレーがたくさんあったので、レシーブで大崩れしなければ大体五分五分かそれ以上でいけるなと感じた。

まずはレシーブで丁寧に返すこと、そして引き続きラリーを強化していけばもっと相手が有利な展開でも点数を取り返せるのかなと思います。

競った場面や追う展開でも冷静だったが

自分でもとてもそう思っていて、(スターコンテンダー)準々決勝の鄭栄植(チョンヨンシク・韓国)戦も3ゲームとも逆転でしたし、(準決勝の)オフチャロフ戦も2-2から1-5から(ゲームを取れた)、(決勝の)フィルス戦でも取られはしたんですけど3ゲーム目1-8から10-8まで持っていたのは今までない形だった。

自分がプレッシャーなくプレーできているときは連続して点が取れているなと思える。なのでプレッシャーのかかっている各ゲーム出だしを修正していければ、常にゲームの最初から圧倒できる可能性があるなと感じました。

今後、五輪までには中国やハンガリーで国際大会が開かれるかもしれないとの情報もあるが出場するか

ワールドランキングに関わるか関わらないかまだ詳しいことがわからない。それでも自分は大会があれば出る方向で考えている。まだ(状況によっては)棄権する可能性もあるが、五分五分よりも出たい気持ちの方が少し強い。

東京五輪に向けての自信や手応え

この2大会が始まる前までは、Tリーグではたくさん勝っていたが、全然自信がなくて、日本の選手に負けているのに海外の選手に勝てるのかと思っていた。

この2大会を通して、オフチャロフ選手の試合以外はほとんどストレートだったり差をつけて勝つことができたので、改めて世界で勝てるとわかったので、そこはちゃんとした自信になった

五輪イヤー、今後への意気込み

今大会優勝したからと言って、何かが大きく変わるわけではないと思う。毎回毎回自分のベストを尽くすつもりで戦って、良い結果をこの後も残し続けられれば良いなと思っているので、その気持ちを忘れずに頑張りたい。
Tomokazu Harimoto's comments in the online interview

Factors behind this season's first victory in international competition

For the Contender, I was a little insecure for the first time since the All-Japan. Even after losing in the semi-final (at the Contender), I felt that I was able to play a good match, so I was glad that I was able to gain confidence and reach the final in the second tournament, and I was able to win nicely at the end.

On playing Ovtcharov in the semifinal in both tournaments

I had a better start at the Contender(the first tournament), but I couldn't cope with the long rallies because I scored too many easy points, and so it was easily reversed from 2-0 without any struggle.

On the contrary, at the Star Contender(the second tournament), I had the resolve to stick it out from the beginning even after game 1 was taken. I tried various serves and to break through with shot path, stuff that I prepared compared with the Contender.

Upon victory, you showed us the phrase "WASURENAI 3.11" on your chest. Did you have a special message?

There had always been this pressure to win for myself, that I must win. This time, I felt like it was for everyone, and on the contrary, I was able to fight with ease, and I felt that everyone was there when I was playing.

Will this experience of being able to fight with ease with the feeling of "for everyone" be useful in the future?

I really wanted to win this tournament (because it is the 10-year anniversary). However, as a reflection of the past, I had never won when I wanted to win.

By playing such that I didn't want to win that much in order to win, I was able to fight without getting so nervous at the start, and on the contrary, I had to put the desire to win up front in the match, and to treat every game as the last when only 1 or 2 games away. I think that this mental balance was good in these 2 tournaments.

The meaning of trouncing lower-ranked players to win the tournament in the absence of China

My primary target was to reach the semi-final of the Olympics, so through this tournament I thought that I might be able to go there.

I lost to Ovtcharov once. I thought, even if I were to meet Ovtcharov at the Olympics, that it would be in the quarterfinal or semifinal, so I think it was good that I could definitely go that far.

In terms of techniques, the main factor you won here is?

Especially in the semi-final match against Ovtcharov (at Star Contender), there were quite a few cases where I could hold my own in the mid-distance countering and return the shots that the opponent thought was winners. Also, I scored more in points that I didn't attack aggressively. I think that means my game has become thicker.

Thoughts on service and receive

I was quite confident about my serve in the T-League, but there were various discoveries in which serves different from the ones that worked in the T-League also worked as well, and conversely serves that worked in the T-League did not work.

Even so, the overall winning percentage on service was high, and the receive was not very good in the match against Ovtcharov (in semi-final) and Filus (in final), so I think the issue of receive is the most important now.

Thoughts on rally

If the rally didn't start by getting punished by the opponent, then there were a lot of points that I could reverse even if pushed back a little, so I felt that if I didn't collapse in the receive, about 50-50 was good enough.

I think if I could get the receive back carefully first, and from there strengthen in the rally, I could recover even if the points develop more favorably for the opponent.

The composure displayed in deadlock situations or when being one-upped

I thought as much. In the quarter-final match against Jeoung Young-sik(Korea) (at Star Contender), I turned it around in game 3. For the Ovtcharov match (in the semi-final) I came back from 1:5, 2-2(to take the game). For the Filus match (in the final), I went from 1-8 to 10-8 in game 3, which I had never done before.

When I can play without pressure, I think I could score points in a row. So I feel if I could make it such that I start each game under pressure, I think the possibility to overcome everything from the beginning of the game would always be there.

There is information that international competitions may be held in China and Hungary before the Olympics in the future. Will you participate?

I don't know the details yet whether it is related to the world ranking or not. Still, I'm thinking about going out if there is a tournament. There is still the possibility of pulling out (depending on the situation), but the desire to go out is a little stronger than 50-50.

Confidence and thoughts on the Tokyo Olympics

Before these 2 tournaments started, I had won a lot in the T-League, but I wasn't confident at all, and I was wondering if I could beat overseas players even though I was losing to Japanese players.

Through these 2 tournaments, I was able to win almost in straight games or with a comfortable gap except for Ovtcharov's match, so I knew that I could win in the world again, giving me proper confidence.

Olympic year, enthusiasm for the future

I don't think that winning this tournament will make a big difference. I hope I could fight with the intention of doing my best every time and continue to produce good results, so I want to keep that feeling in mind.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Curious...
I understood that even if the Grand Smash takes place in May (China or Hungary), Mima Ito will most likely not participate .....

Jan 2018
From Ito's online interview with TV Tokyo, she actually wants to play the CNT ASAP.

新ツアー初タイトルの張本智和「3.11から10年ということを胸に刻んで戦っていた。優勝を届けられて嬉しい」
https://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/tabletennis/news/2021/03/017178.html

2大会連続Vの伊藤美誠 「中国人選手と早く試合がしたい」五輪ぶっつけ本番でも「自信はある」
https://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/tabletennis/news/2021/03/017180.html

平野美宇「練習の成果が出た」オリンピックに向けて収穫
https://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/tabletennis/news/2021/03/017210.html

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
I understand that Hina Hayata's participation in the Tokyo Olympics is completely ruled out ...
Ishikawa and Hirano with no alternative ...

Jan 2018
https://www.ittf.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/2020_AQT_Prospectus_Draft_FINAL_V4.pdf
https://www.ittf.com/tournament/5280/2021/asian-olympic-qualification/
12. SYSTEM OF PLAY
MIXED DOUBLES EVENT•The Mixed Doubles shall be played in a knock-out system and shall be played in best of seven (7) games. Winner of the knock-out system shall qualify for the Games of the XXXII Olympiad in 2021 and the runner-up shall be the reserved pair.

KNT: Reserved pair...

2 weeks, 2 finals, 2 runner-ups.
1iD4msk.jpg