Japan Women's Race to Tokyo 2020 Singles

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
2019 - ITTF Challenge Plus, Portugal Open 16 SATO Hitomi - FAN Siqi 1 : 4 FAN Siqi
2019 - World Table Tennis Championships 16 SATO Hitomi - WANG Manyu 2 : 4 WANG Manyu
2019 - ITTF World Tour, Hong Kong Open 32 SATO Hitomi - MU Zi 4 : 3 SATO Hitomi
2019 - ITTF World Tour Platinum, Japan Open 16 SATO Hitomi - DING Ning 4 : 2 SATO Hitomi
2019 - ITTF World Tour, Bulgarian Open 8 SATO Hitomi - WU Yang 0 : 4 WU Yang
2019 - ITTF World Tour, Czech Open 16 SATO Hitomi - FENG Yalan 1 : 4 FENG Yalan
2019 - ITTF World Tour, Czech Open 32 SATO Hitomi - LI Jiayi 4 : 2 SATO Hitomi

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
I believe JTTA is trying their best to be fair in the WTC, but there’s no good way around it. So they went the only way that would avoid controversy...go by WR. That’s why Sato is in. Also to minimize another monkey, Hayata is out, so is Kato. So just 4.
Remember Hirano was in London’s WTC ? She never got to play even 1 game. Or Hayata & Nagasaki in Team WTTC ? Getting into the team is no guarantee one will play.
I think the singles spot will be evenly allocated to Hirano & Ishikawa for fairness in pt competition’s sake, the odd spots will be filled by Ito, or even Sato. This is even more likely now that Japan is drawn into Group B and may not even make it to the Final.

I agree, there is a certain risk of not reaching the final ...(even a couple, Ishikawa-Hirano, in my opinion, is not reliable enough ... I mean, not a game with China ....)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
It would be interesting to see the statistics of personal meetings (among themselves) of the first female five of Japan for All of Japan 2019 ....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
I believe JTTA is trying their best to be fair in the WTC, but there’s no good way around it. So they went the only way that would avoid controversy...go by WR. That’s why Sato is in. Also to minimize another monkey, Hayata is out, so is Kato. So just 4.
Remember Hirano was in London’s WTC ? She never got to play even 1 game. Or Hayata & Nagasaki in Team WTTC ? Getting into the team is no guarantee one will play.
I think the singles spot will be evenly allocated to Hirano & Ishikawa for fairness in pt competition’s sake, the odd spots will be filled by Ito, or even Sato. This is even more likely now that Japan is drawn into Group B and may not even make it to the Final.
I also think 2020 Team will be Ito-Hirano-Ishikawa, but it will not be like Rio, where Hirano was “P” due to her 4th ranking. That’s when the discretion/recommendation clause comes in handy. Instead of Sato or Kato, Hayata may get the p card because of her versatility. But take note that the Ito-Hayata combo hasn’t seen action since April 2019, so there’s no current valid data to use as yardstick.

what is more important you wrote before 2024 will be the time. I think the key now should be not to put so much expectation for youg players like harimoto, ito or hayata. They are all working hard and probably it will let them develope enough in few years becoming top players. For such big events like olympics experience is very important, I have seen many times promising young players loosing to much lower ranked players because they were expected to win and parents pressure.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Tempest/Comet

.....But take note that the Ito-Hayata combo hasn’t seen action since April 2019...

Yes, and this is sad .... Even in Austria they are not declared ...It is possible, of course, that they do not want to load Ito - Ito too much, definitely in singles and in XD ( Mizutani) ....

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Japan really doesn’t have any option, but to send the current cream of it’s crop, even if it isn’t as good or as consistent as it can be. But it is what it is.
The Olympics on their home soil have a lot to do with the hype and magnified expectations. JOC has sucked a lot of government money into preparing it, from citizens’ tax dollars, despite protestations, and has to answer for it. If not for the location being Tokyo, Murakami’s prediction/reasonings are very sound indeed - 2024.
In the meantime, a few selected ones will have to be thrown into the fire, or used as canon fodder to hold the line, however improbable.
I don’t believe a Ishikawa/Ito/Hirano can take Gold, but given their overall prowess against any other country, with Ishikawa in, she may well guarantee Silver.
I also think Hirano will be in, one way or another. She is the ONLY successful result of the millions squandered by JOC’s Elite Academy in producing a winner. She’s also the ONLY one that holds all Japan’s top international honours in Singles in the current era.
That JOC/Elite Academy is a Black Hole for Japan’s very very best is another story all together.
In the meantime, there is a challenge at the door steps, a clear and present threat that must be answered, come what may. Japan is therefore sending in the best that they can muster, and they don’t have a lot to choose from by Jan 2020. The good thing is they only have to come up with 3.
Look beyond Tokyo, if one can get it pass their mind, to realize the true potential of the Japanese girls.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Japan really doesn’t have any option, but to send the current cream of it’s crop, even if it isn’t as good or as consistent as it can be. But it is what it is.
The Olympics on their home soil have a lot to do with the hype and magnified expectations. JOC has sucked a lot of government money into preparing it, from citizens’ tax money, despite protestations, and has to answer for it. If not for the location being Tokyo, Murakami’s prediction/reasonings are very sound indeed - 2024.
In the meantime, a few selected ones will have to be thrown into the fire, or used as canon fodder to hold the line, however improbable.
I don’t believe a Ishikawa/Ito/Hirano can take Gold, but given their overall prowess against any other country, with Ishikawa in, she may well guarantee Silver.
I also think Hirano will be in, one way or another. She is the ONLY successful result of the millions squandered by JOC’s Elite Academy in producing a winner. That JOC/Elite Academy is a Black Hole for Japan’s very very best is another story all together.
In the meantime, there is a challenge at the door steps, a clear and present threat that must be answered, come what may. Japan is therefore sending in the best that they can muster, and they don’t have a lot to choose from by Jan 2020. The good thing is they only have to come up with 3.
Look beyond Tokyo, if one can get it pass their mind, to realize the true potential of the Japanese girls.

Logically ....Too much is at stake in Japan ....This can be understood .....

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush....

Poor Hayata:(

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Is Sato gonna play games at the team world cup? If there is no injury she wont.

Correct me if Im wrong, but the third member of the olympic team is not choosen by world ranking, rather by JTTA. As JTTA wants to get the best results at the olympics they will decide which third team member is giving them the best chance to perform well. A good WR would make it more easy to explain the decision of course.

Im 95% certain JTTA go with Ito, Hirano and Ishkikawa, but for the other 5% I dont see them take Sato or Kato, because of the reasons I explained before. What would be your reasoning to take Sato or Kato over Hayata in the unlikley event that one of the top 3 not get the spot?

The Same reason the JTTA would. Higher world ranking. The 4th spot is largely a bonus and giving it to someone who doesn't clearly merit it has implications.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
How is the situation with a reserve player? I dont have knowledge about the rules, but there has to be a replacement ready, if one of the main olympic players get "injured". Could JNT use advantage of this? They could see if Ishikawa gets back in form, or if Hayata´s performance skyrock and adjust the third teammember just before the olympic tournament?

I know JNT will never do something like this, but this could help JNT to chose the best player in form and not just months ahead.

The reserve or alternate player only plays in the Olympics if one of the 3 Olympic players gets injured during the competition. I made a post on the reserve or alternate player in post #68 of the thread, which I'll copy below.

The alternate or reserve player of the Olympics can replace a player who is injured or ill before the match starts, but the injury or illness must be real and legitimate. Let me illustrate:

Let's say for example, JTTA believes that the Ishikawa and Hayata/Ito lineup will be best against all Non-Chinese Teams because Ishikawa is consistent against Non-Chinese players and Hayata/Ito hasn't lost to a Non-Chinese doubles team since 2017. However, let's say for example that JTTA also believes that the Hirano, Hayata and Ito lineup will give them the best chance against Team China because of its youth, fearlessness and unpredictability. (Again, this is only an example. I, in no way, know what JTTA is truly thinking or how they assess their players.)

In theory, Japan could send Ishikawa, Hayata and Ito to play all matches until the Semifinals for the Olympics. Then, when Japan faces China in the Final, Ishikawa would get "injured" and claim that she cannot play anymore in the tournament in order for Hirano, the alternate, to replace her for the match against China, and give Japan a better chance of winning.

However, in reality, this is harder to pull off since Ishikawa would need to get a medical certificate from a doctor certifying that she cannot play. She can't just "claim injury" without proof since this is the Olympic rules for injury replacement. Of course, if Ishikawa wanted to take one for the team and purposely injure herself, so Hirano can play, then the injury replacement would be valid.
cache.php
Therefore, unless there really is a legitimate injury, Japan is stuck with the 3 players they choose.

If the legitimate injury to one to the 3 players happens before the Olympics start, and before the deadline for the submission of athlete names, then Japan can replace the injured player with anyone and not just the supposed reserve/alternate player.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
Thanks a lot, Apacible .....

(By the way, China made its move to Markham ..... 12 players, the so-called third team ...And although formally Hina Hayata seeding nr. 5, in any case, the struggle will be very difficult .....)

Given this news, Hirano and Ishikawa may end up withdrawing from the North American Open. Both of them can only gain points if they win the whole tournament and the field just got tougher with the additional Chinese Players. Given they still have the WTGF the following week on the other side of the globe, they might choose to be well-rested for that event instead, rather than play this event with minimal margin for error.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Given this news, Hirano and Ishikawa may end up withdrawing from the North American Open. Both of them can only gain points if they win the whole tournament and the field just got tougher with the additional Chinese Players. Given they still have the WTGF the following week on the other side of the globe, they might choose to be well-rested for that event instead, rather than play this event with minimal margin for error.

Yes, you have already expressed this opinion a little earlier ....
I also monitor the situation with great interest .....Two or three players (China) can completely knock them out .....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
“...Two or three players (China) can completely knock them out .....”
well, China is sending twelve (12) girls to Markham :p
“...you’ve got to ask yourself one question - “Do I feel lucky ?” Dirty Harry :-D

edit: withdraw ! argh !! they say it’s just money, yeah right, it’s not just money, it’s a lot of money, $1600’s worth :-(

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
“...Two or three players (China) can completely knock them out .....”
well, China is sending twelve (12) girls to Markham :p
“...you’ve got to ask yourself one question - “Do I feel lucky ?” Dirty Harry :-D

Thank you ... I am in the know ..... From 15 to 26 years old their age ...... Information about very many is very scarce .....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
The Same reason the JTTA would. Higher world ranking. The 4th spot is largely a bonus and giving it to someone who doesn't clearly merit it has implications.

There seems to be a misunderstanding. Im talking about the third member of the team. It seems you spoke about the replacement in general.

But picking up your point, I think the 4th spot is still to important to just give it to the best in WR. Just imagine Ito or Hirano getting injured. With the pressure to achieve results JTTA is in no position to give favors of any kind.

With the double being so important, especially for the 3th team member or potentially in XD i cant see why JTTA should pick Sato or Kato. But its fine if we agree to disagree in that matter.

People were asking why Hayata isnt even a reserve at the WTC. Maybe i can give a plausible explanation. The german team is attending with only three players and no reserves. The reason is, that they probably wont play and will not make it back in time to attent the qualification of the platinum austrian tournament next week. For seeded players its not that stressful, as they start the tournament on thursday, but qualification already starts on tuesday.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
I plan to start one when the dust settles for the 2nd spot.