Japan Women's Race to Tokyo 2020 Singles

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
中国とほぼ僅差に
just a narrow margin between Japan and China

他の国とかなり離してます
much further away from other countries (in terms of abilities)

対中国しか考えていない
Only thinking about the line-up against China

overly optimistic if you ask me...
but interesting to see what they are taking into account (even the Hayata-Ito pair)
although it's a little hard to take them seriously when they mention possibly including Sato
I wonder how much of it is just PR when the team lineup has already been decided

I'd imagine the best line-up for Japan to beat China would be Ito-Hayata-Sato
Although impossible under the current circumstances

Japanese men's team is in the same position Singapore women's team was in 2012
desperately trying to hold onto a number 2 team world ranking.
Seems like the chances for Mizutani being chosen are higher than the chances of Hirano being chosen
since the later can be left out without affecting Japan's team world ranking

Why the rush to confirm everything on 6th January? The Shibata-Hirano doubles mystery thickens. Some mind-boggling decisions made by JNT.

Well I do not understand what they are saying but from the pictures it seems that they are thinking about Sato for the 3rd player - quite wired for me since she has to play doubles with Ishikawa - bad idea (I do not think the played before together).
For the men team I understand they prefer to take Mizutani as 3rd player to get second seed but from Mizutani perspective as he looses a lot recently I am not sure if he can keep this ranking or drop more until the final ranking before olympics

This user has no status.
Miyazaki is kind of being the boss at JTTA for deciding the team, although he said all coaches opinions will be considered.

Regarding women's team, indeed he said that the team will be built to beat China (meaning they are optimistic they can win other teams easily - which i think is the case). 2nd seed is guaranteed even without Hirano. He said they are basically facing 3 choices: (1) Ito to play 2 singles, choose a right handed player to team up with Ishikawa for doubles, and the logical choice is Hirano (2) choose Ishikawa as an ace to play 2 singles, and then choose a left handed player - Hayata - to play doubles with Ito (3) choose Sato to play 2 singles and let Ito play doubles with Ishikawa.

Regarding Men's team, the ambitions are more modest, they want to build a team to get a medal [meaning they are being realistic about their chances of challenging China]. For that purpose, it is important to stay seeded #2, which is possible only if Mizutani is being selected. We know from the man himself he is not very motivated to play at the Olympics, but he will do his job for the country. Miyazaki then said that if the 2nd was guaranteed actually it would make sense to let play the right-handed Yoshimura with Niwa in doubles and let Harimoto play 2 singles - instead of selecting Mizutani.

And yes, they will decide on January 6th. I don't know the reason but they are committing to that date.

He finally praised Ito, and said often her matches against Chinese players are often decided by a narrow margin, its often just the question of being a bit more lucky on a net or edge

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Regarding Men's team, the ambitions are more modest, they want to build a team to get a medal [meaning they are being realistic about their chances of challenging China]. For that purpose, it is important to stay seeded #2, which is possible only if Mizutani is being selected. We know from the man himself he is not very motivated to play at the Olympics, but he will do his job for the country. Miyazaki then said that if the 2nd was guaranteed actually it would make sense to let play the right-handed Yoshimura with Niwa in doubles and let Harimoto play 2 singles - instead of selecting Mizutani.

One thing is quite certain for me: Germany will be second seeded with high probability. Timo is in very good shape recently and Dima is getting his form back, also Franziska is definitely top 20 player who has beaten chinese players. Probability for all of them 3 to climb little in world ranking is undisputable.
At the same time besides Harimoto who let's suppose keep his world ranking others (niwa and mizutani) is rather very hard to keep their ranking not considering moving up.
Let's do not forget about other countries top players who definitely will do their best to climb in ranking, I am thinking about JYS, WCT, LJH, Pitch and others.
I understand now Mizutani and Niwa have advantage but if they do not score much their points will be taken out next year.

Reactions: driversbeat
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Miyazaki is kind of being the boss at JTTA for deciding the team, although he said all coaches opinions will be considered.

Regarding women's team, indeed he said that the team will be built to beat China (meaning they are optimistic they can win other teams easily - which i think is the case). 2nd seed is guaranteed even without Hirano. He said they are basically facing 3 choices: (1) Ito to play 2 singles, choose a right handed player to team up with Ishikawa for doubles, and the logical choice is Hirano (2) choose Ishikawa as an ace to play 2 singles, and then choose a left handed player - Hayata - to play doubles with Ito (3) choose Sato to play 2 singles and let Ito play doubles with Ishikawa.

And yes, they will decide on January 6th. I don't know the reason but they are committing to that date.

He finally praised Ito, and said often her matches against Chinese players are often decided by a narrow margin, its often just the question of being a bit more lucky on a net or edge

Specifically, it was also mentioned that Ito might not be able to realistically take down 2 singles matches, which is what makes the doubles so crucial in the team event. They say that now, after spending an entire year putting 0 thought into women's doubles compositions?

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Specific information appeared on the TOP-12 Japan (December 21-22, 2019)

http://www.jtta.or.jp/tournament/tabid/122/rptid/581/Default.aspx

Hirano Miu
Sato Hitomi
Miyu Kato
Hayata Hina
Shibata Saki
Hashimoto Honoka
Nagasaki Miyu
Idesawa Kyoka
Narumoto Ayami
Ayane Morita

(no Kihara....:()

If I understand correctly, this is a selection for WTTC-2020 ..
And from the first round only two go to the second, where Ito and Ishikawa ....
That is, in the first round of Hirano, Sato, Hayata, at best, only two will go to the second round ....

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
If I understand correctly, this is a selection for WTTC-2020 ..
And from the first round only two go to the second, where Ito and Ishikawa ....
That is, in the first round of Hirano, Sato, Hayata, at best, only two will go to the second round ....
Yep and there is another slot I believe for the national champion
And 2 others for the 2 best ranked players (ito and Ishikawa). If Ito or Ishikawa win either event then coaches will choose by themselves

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Yep and there is another slot I believe for the national champion
And 2 others for the 2 best ranked players (ito and Ishikawa). If Ito or Ishikawa win either event then coaches will choose by themselves

Thank....

To be honest, I did not quite understand why Kihara is not in the first round ... In the December ITTF rating, she is higher than in Nagasaki .....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
There are some seeded players (according to ITTF ranking ?) and the rest of the bunch had to qualify through a tournament earlier this year. Need to double check but probably Kihara didn’t make it.

If I understand correctly, the first eight in the ITTF ranking in December ...8-Honoka, 9-Kihara, 10-Nagasaki ....
But the first two, Ito and Ishikawa, do not play in the first round .....In this case, it would be logical to add to the number of participants the numbers 9 and 10 of the December rating ...And the last two places - previously selected in the qualification ....

Jan 2018
Specifically, it was also mentioned that Ito might not be able to realistically take down 2 singles matches, which is what makes the doubles so crucial in the team event. They say that now, after spending an entire year putting 0 thought into women's doubles compositions?

LGL stings again.

LGL: Generally speaking, the WS is very close, even I can't tell right now who will make the lineup. We can't sit here doing nothing just because of that. We still have to plan for it. The best plan is the ideal one that I think will be the best lineup. After it gets messed up, it's not just 1 event that gets messed up, but the balance of the entire plate. You can't let all 5 golds, all the matches, get messed up just for 1 player, or any 1 point.

...Given Miyazaki's stance, Ito playing in the doubles will not happen. Therefore, it'll be either Ishikawa or Hayata. If Ishikawa gets the 2nd spot, Hayata will be out for certain. But then they'll have a big headache over who to choose for the XD - Mizutani/Ito, Yoshimura/Ishikawa, Harimoto/Ito, Harimoto/Hirano, or Harimoto/Ishikawa? If they go with Yoshimura/Ishikawa, because Mizutani will likely not get the 2nd spot, they'll face a dilemma for the MT, due to how the Olympic team ranking is calculated.

All for One vs One for All. Individual vs Group. The cost of being transparent, fair and just.

...But due to the peculiar selection system, the only way for Hayata to make the WT and potentially XD is for Hirano to make the 2nd singles. As it stands, having Niwa and Ishikawa play singles puts the JNT in the second most awkward position as they royally screw up their lineups for MT, WT and XD.

Me sad? Why would I? I have nothing to lose here. It's Japan that should feel sad. I'm merely speaking from the Japanese standpoint of fielding the best possible lineup. It's they that want the gold medal here.

From the CNT's perspective, it's not just about any 1 event. They treat all 5 events as 1 continuity, each connected to the other.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
One thing is quite certain for me: Germany will be second seeded with high probability. Timo is in very good shape recently and Dima is getting his form back, also Franziska is definitely top 20 player who has beaten chinese players. Probability for all of them 3 to climb little in world ranking is undisputable.
At the same time besides Harimoto who let's suppose keep his world ranking others (niwa and mizutani) is rather very hard to keep their ranking not considering moving up.
Let's do not forget about other countries top players who definitely will do their best to climb in ranking, I am thinking about JYS, WCT, LJH, Pitch and others.
I understand now Mizutani and Niwa have advantage but if they do not score much their points will be taken out next year.

Don't underestimate Korea.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Last edited: