Japan Women's Race to Tokyo 2020 Singles

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Its gonna be interesting if already qualified players have to qualify again for next year. Some original qualifers were last summer and therefore 2 year prior to the olympics.

The same goes for picks of some nations like japan. Do they plan with their original lineup, or start a new race for next year...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019

Senpai: Nani? Do I have to compete for a Singles ticket again?

LSW: The Olympics better be held before WTTC2021.

Hirano: Yes! I'll seize the chance this time.

ZYL: Watch out CM and LSW. I'm coming for you girls.

Expect alot of changes, I think fresh teams and names will come out at the end of this pandemic.

Forget rankings. Forget previous results and achievements, prolonged period and absense out of the game creates alot of question marks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Expect alot of changes, I think fresh teams and names will come out at the end of this pandemic.

Forget rankings. Forget previous results and achievements, prolonged period and absense out of the game creates alot of question marks.

Right...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018

"Fresh names" like...? So you're expecting all the national teams to nominate new players? Or only the Chinese (not the Japanese I presume since zeio has already posted that the JNT will send the same six players)? Not sure I follow the logic here.

Reactions: MaLin2.0
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
"Fresh names" like...? So you're expecting all the national teams to nominate new players? Or only the Chinese (not the Japanese I presume since zeio has already posted that the JNT will send the same six players)? Not sure I follow the logic here.

I think so, names we know most likely already circulating through juniors already training with seniors. You have to agree CNT & JNT training at youth level is exceptional and alot of names just keep popping up.

Look at how fast SYS, WMY, WCQ just came onto the scene for team China? Exceptional at Junior level and transitioned very well at senior level.

Japan omg their Juniors also excellent, what's to say Uda, Hayata, Togami Shunsuke and some others won't overtake Mizutani, Niwa, Kasumi & Harimoto.... If anything Harimoto is getting more pressure from his Japanese juniors right now. I watched Japan national tournament evidence is there.

Chinese Taipei I would of said CYC would be shoe in with recent form, but form will now die off being absent, surely younger replacements being blooded right now.

Im big soccer fan too, will Messi, Ronaldo have the same magic if they are absent a year out of the game at their age?

That's my logic, Players in Asian countries IMO mature alot faster than those of Europe because they are exposed to better training and depth too, it's OK if you don't see eye to eye

Last edited:
Reactions: Janard
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Thought this should've been posted.

Miyazaki assures the 6 players already selected that there will be no changes.

https://world-tt.com/ps_info/ps_report.php?bn=1&pg=HEAD&page=BACK&rpcdno=3263#3263
 3月24日、IOC(国際オリンピック委員会)が東京オリンピック・パラリンピックの1年程度の延期を承認した。
 卓球競技ではすでに男女各3名の代表候補選手が決定しているが、日本卓球協会の宮崎義仁・強化本部長は「私個人としては五輪代表の再選考は考えていない。強化本部メンバーの理解を得て、日本卓球協会の理事会に報告したい。選手選考については強化本部が決定し、理事会に報告することになっている。報告したうえで(再選考は行わないことを)理解していただく」とコメント。代表メンバーは現状のままで、延期となった東京五輪・卓球競技に向けて強化を進めていく構えだ。

brU9PTY.jpg

And Ito's response to the postponement.

https://world-tt.com/ps_info/ps_report.php?bn=1&pg=HEAD&page=BACK&rpcdno=3266#3266
  東京オリンピック延期の発表を受けて、所属のスターツコーポレーション株式会社が、伊藤美誠選手のコメントを発表した。

以下が、伊藤選手のコメント
「1日も早くウィルス感染が収束し、誰もがスポーツを楽しめる日常に戻ることを願っています。東京五輪開催までの時間を更に充実させ、最高のパフォーマンスを発揮できるよう、これまでと変わらず卓球に打ち込んでいきます。アスリート、応援してくださる人々、大会を支えてくださる方々、皆の心が1つになれるオリンピック。東京、そして世界中に、たくさんの笑顔があふれることを楽しみにしています!」
Here is the comment from Ito
"I hope that the virus infection will converge as soon as possible and that everyone will be able to enjoy sports again. We will continue to enhance the time before the Tokyo Olympics and achieve the best performance. Athletes, people who support us, people who support the tournament, the Olympics will bring everyone's heart together. I look forward to many smiles in Tokyo and around the world!"

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
Thought this should've been posted.

Miyazaki assures the 6 players already selected that there will be no changes.

https://world-tt.com/ps_info/ps_report.php?bn=1&pg=HEAD&page=BACK&rpcdno=3263#3263

brU9PTY.jpg

And Ito's response to the postponement.

https://world-tt.com/ps_info/ps_report.php?bn=1&pg=HEAD&page=BACK&rpcdno=3266#3266

Here is the comment from Ito
"I hope that the virus infection will converge as soon as possible and that everyone will be able to enjoy sports again. We will continue to enhance the time before the Tokyo Olympics and achieve the best performance. Athletes, people who support us, people who support the tournament, the Olympics will bring everyone's heart together. I look forward to many smiles in Tokyo and around the world!"

Wow that's confidence. Sad the circumstances but hopefully this goes away soon so we can enjoy table tennis again and get back to our normal lives. 2021 hope will be successful games.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
Japan National Team 2020

Last April 1st, JTTA announced the players who made the Men's National Team and Women's National Team for 2020. Each team is comprised of 6 players and the rest are candidates/reserves. Click the hyperlinks above to access the full documents of the Men's and Women's Team, as you may want to copy and paste the Japanese names to Google Translate to get their English Names.

Men's National Team and Candidate Players

Women's National Team and Candidate Players

Japanese Men's Team (6 members and 22 Candidates)
1. Tomakazu Harimoto
2. Koki Niwa
3. Jun Mizutani
4. Yukiya Uda
5. Masataka Morizono
6. Shunsuke Togami

Japanese Women's Team (6 members and 10 Candidates)

1. Mima Ito
2. Kasumi Ishikawa
3. Miu Hirano
4. Hitomi Sato
5. Miyu Kato
6. Hina Hayata

Being a member of the national team has some benefits:
  1. While non-National team players may still enter World Tour events through voluntary participation (with approval from the coaches), the chosen 6 will be sponsored by JTTA, so these players don't need to use their own money to enter tournaments or for travel and accommodations. (Looks like Hayata can save some money this 2020 after a very expensive 2019 haha)
  2. In case the competition director of a World Tour event decides to strictly enforce the "only 6 players per country can participate in singles" rule, priority will be given to the chosen 6 national team members while other players from the same country will be waitlisted.

Some interesting notes:

1. Maharu Yoshimura, Yuya Oshima, Jin Ueda and Kenta Matsudaira are all not on the National Team nor the List of National Team Candidates. Does this mean that they are no longer going to compete internationally?
  2. While the document for the Men's team generally lists the players by World Ranking, Togami is the notable exception as he made the national team despite being ranked WR113, which means that JTTA feels very strongly about his potential.
  3. The Women's team reserves aren't ranked by World Ranking. Hashimoto is listed above Shibata and more notably, Miyu Nagasaki and Satsuki Odo find themselves 9th and 10th respectively despite being ranked higher than some of the others on the candidate list. Is this supposed to mean anything significant or are the reserves just listed arbitrarily?

It's one thing to make the national team, but I'm looking forward to seeing if the National Team members can make the most of this opportunity given to them when play resumes.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
TV Tokyo released a documentary named "World Table Tennis 2020 Warriors." It mainly focuses on 3 bonds. First is the bond between Ito and Hayata who TV Tokyo considers as Japan's strongest doubles pair. Second is the bond between Hirano and Ishikawa where both have to balance the tensions of fighting each other for an Olympic Singles Spot and working together to form a compatible doubles combination. Last is the bond between Harimoto and Japan Men's Team Head Coach Kurashima. I posted the video here for anyone interested to watch or has time to kill at home given the COVID-19 situation.

Even though the video is available on the Hayata Hina Fans Facebook Page, I decided to post it on Youtube mainly because of the auto-generated captions. This way, those who don't understand Japanese can have it auto-translated to English or to any other language. The translation is far from perfect, but it's better than nothing, and at least it gives you an idea of what is being talked about. (I continue to miss your translations Zeio! :()

My only request is that you don't spread or share the video outside this forum, especially to Japanese forums or channels. TV Tokyo has been notorious for getting many Youtube Channels shutdown, including Zeio's former channel. I don't intend to start a channel, but I would still rather not have to deal with copyright claims as my intent in posting this video is not for profit. This is simply for the benefit of those outside Japan (like you guys) who may be interested in the stories of these players, but have no way to access the video.

Lastly, be sure to read the description of the video on Youtube. If you don't have time to go through the whole video, I put timestamps on portions that I found interesting. It's best you watch the video as soon as you have time to do so as the video may be taken down by TV Tokyo sooner or later.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Thanks a lot, Apacible ...
(I saw this video on Hyata’s fan page on Facebook ... I'm there under the same nickname as here ...)
(And I'm really sorry about Zeio’s closed YouTube channel ....My channel also received a warning, and I stopped it ....)

This user has no status.
Even though the video is available on the Hayata Hina Fans Facebook Page, I decided to post it on Youtube mainly because of the auto-generated captions. This way, those who don't understand Japanese can have it auto-translated to English or to any other language. The translation is far from perfect, but it's better than nothing, and at least it gives you an idea of what is being talked about. (I continue to miss your translations Zeio! :()

Thanks for the video! How do you auto translate it to English? I only see the option of auto generated caption in Japanese.
Is it possible to save the captions as transcript?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
Thanks for the video! How do you auto translate it to English? I only see the option of auto generated caption in Japanese.
Is it possible to save the captions as transcript?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi balazs1234,

I'll try to guide you step-by-step:

1. Turn on "CC" or closed captions on the Youtube Video.
  2. Then, click the settings button on the Youtube video. (gear icon) A menu should appear.
  3. From that menu, click the "Subtitles/CC" option. Another menu should appear with the option "Auto-translate."
  4. Click on the "Auto-translate" and then choose "English."

I also provided photos below to guide you. I hope this helps you. If not, feel free to ask more questions.

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018

Japan commences "Save Harimoto" project lol?

Attachments

• c6fd9b9a1cbc4c8fbcda800e575d942d.jpg
    c6fd9b9a1cbc4c8fbcda800e575d942d.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 231
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
its about giving support, including psychological support to a shortlist of 10 medalist hopes. including Harimoto, but also Sunny Brown (featured on the photo) and some others not cited.

It seems that the JSC has a program to train abroad for young athletes but this year due to Coronavirus they will support the athletes at home.

Reactions: MaLin2.0
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2019
its about giving support, including psychological support to a shortlist of 10 medalist hopes. including Harimoto, but also Sunny Brown (featured on the photo) and some others not cited.

It seems that the JSC has a program to train abroad for young athletes but this year due to Coronavirus they will support the athletes at home.

I think most top teams in training well isolated but wonder which team has the edge with current situation