Japan Women's Race to Tokyo 2020 Singles

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
I think Yoshimura Maharu has the best chance of making the third person. His Singles ability is not that great but decent and also makes for an above average doubles partner. On the latter, Shunsuke Togami actually left an lasting impression in my mind during the ATTC. Just my two-cents.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Morisono will never make the 3 men's team, there is a 3005 pt gap between him and Niwa.
That said, he WAS Ito's regular XD partner and did quite well together.
I thought xd is different event and they can send anybody they want.
Anyway Morizono is very good choince IMO, he is the best doubles partner in Japan, so they can be quite sure to take point in doubles. Secondly his last performance is very good.
Thirdly I do not see anybody else besides Harimoto worth to send olympics in that form.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Of course Harimoto is set for the olympics, but i dont understand why people doubt Mitzutani that much. He is not the player he once was and clearly out of the top 10 WR, but other then that he is reliable against anybody outside the top 15-20, plays good doubles, is left handed and has a lot of experience in big competitions. If his eyesight doesnt get worse he is clearly set for the olympics. Espacially with Niwas form in the last couple of months.

This opens the door for a wild card number 3! In the team competition harimoto will play two singles for sure, which means that the other two need to play the double. Niwa is left handed an there is a good chance JNT wants to pair a right handed player with Mitzutani.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
I agree. JNT has tried to pair Niwa with different players for MD but none worked well.

Mizutani: Hong Kong Open
Harimoto: Korea Open and Australia Open
Maharu Yoshimura: Bulgaria Open

So if Niwa cannot be the top 2 players in the Jan 2020 WR (and not optimistic based on his current form), he probably will not be picked for the Olympics as the 3rd player.

Who will be the 3rd player then? I guess it will be either of the Yoshimura brothers.

And anyone knows what happened to Yuya Oshima? He used to be a key player of JNT and one of the most competitive MD pair with Morizono. But he is out of any tournaments recently.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
He signed up for Australian Open but then felt pain in his back and he's now focusing on recovery.

https://twitter.com/yynn_13/status/1149267712914284545
出場予定だったオーストラリアOPですが、背中の痛みがあり悔しいですが棄権することに決めました。焦る気持ちを抑えて、まずは治すことに注力します!
引き続き応援お願い致します。

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Of course Harimoto is set for the olympics, but i dont understand why people doubt Mitzutani that much. He is not the player he once was and clearly out of the top 10 WR, but other then that he is reliable against anybody outside the top 15-20, plays good doubles, is left handed and has a lot of experience in big competitions. If his eyesight doesnt get worse he is clearly set for the olympics. Espacially with Niwas form in the last couple of months.

This opens the door for a wild card number 3! In the team competition harimoto will play two singles for sure, which means that the other two need to play the double. Niwa is left handed an there is a good chance JNT wants to pair a right handed player with Mitzutani.
JM is my favourite player but for some time he is loosing to lower ranked players like Groth, karlsson, ARUNA, franziska.
IT is not only that, he is playing really poor.
I wish him all the best but for now he is a big question mark.
Of course there is not big choice since the others do not play their best or are Just not that level yet.
So Yes he should get 2nd spot with Morizono 3rd and doubles. Of course two lefthanders is wired but worth to try.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
I thought xd is different event and they can send anybody they want.
Anyway Morizono is very good choince IMO, he is the best doubles partner in Japan, so they can be quite sure to take point in doubles. Secondly his last performance is very good.
Thirdly I do not see anybody else besides Harimoto worth to send olympics in that form.

The representatives for the XD event have to come from players on the country's respective team, hence for Morizono to clinch a spot, he would have to rank in the top two men in japan by world ranking (Almost impossible at this point), or be chosen for the third team position, knocking out Niwa or Mizutani since Harimoto looks as if he will be the highest WR Japanese players for a while to come.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Seems like Mizutani is embroiled in some extra-marital affair controversy?

110324ckqbsqzhbp2p633k.png

Jan 2018
My idol Ishikawa thinks the cancellation of T2 China is a good thing. [CNT: We want you to make the singles so bad. That's why we didn't give the green light...]

https://hochi.news/articles/20190924-OHT1T50102.html
 26~29日に開催予定だった「T2ダイヤモンド」第2戦が来年度に延期された。ツアー成績上位者ら男女各16人だけが参加できる国際大会で、出場するだけでも世界ランキングに400ポイントがボーナス加算。東京五輪代表争いにも関わるため、出場資格を得ていた選手にとっては痛手だが、女子の石川佳純(26)=全農=は「私にとっては良かったと思う」と前向きに受け止めている。

理由は日程面だ。約1か月前の延期発表に困惑はあったが、当初は9月中旬からアジア選手権、T2ダイヤモンド、スウェーデンOP、ドイツOP、女子W杯と5連戦に臨む予定だった。「試合が多すぎて、体力的に大丈夫かなと。ずっと不安だった。(延期で)ちょっと休めて調整できる」。突然の日程変更もプラスに考え、3大会連続の五輪出場へスパートをかける。(林 直史)
...The reason is the schedule. There was some confusion over the postponement roughly a month ago, but initially it was scheduled to start in mid-September with the Asian Championships, T2 Diamond, Swedish OP, German OP and Women's World Cup. "I was thinking there were too many tournaments and I wondered if my body could keep up. I had been worried, but now I could get some rest."

Last edited:
Jan 2018
https://hochi.news/articles/20190928-OHT1T50169.html
 卓球男子世界ランク5位の張本智和(16)=木下グループ=が28日、ワールドツアーのスウェーデン・オープン(OP)、ドイツOPに向けて成田空港を出発した。2大会ともシングルス、早田ひな(19)=日本生命=との混合ダブルスの2種目に出場する。

シングルスで銅メダルを獲得したアジア選手権の帰国から中3日。調整期間は短かったが、フォアハンドの強化に取り組んできた。同大会での収穫と反省を踏まえ「勝っても負けても喜びすぎず悔しがりすぎず、平常心で戦うことがこの連戦でいい結果を残すために鍵になると思う」とメンタル面をテーマに掲げた。

20年東京五輪代表選考レースも残り3ヶ月となった。張本は選考に関わるポイントで男子のトップに立つ。ツアー2連戦の結果次第で、上位2枠のシングルス代表入りへ大きく前進するが「残り試合数も多くはないので少しずつ現実的になってきてると思うんですけど、今までと変わらずに目の前の一戦一戦。勝っても負けても自分の実力だと受け止めてプレーしたいなと思います」と冷静だ。
3 days after returning from the Asian championships and earning a bronze medal in singles. The adjustment period was short, but I have been working on strengthening the forehand. Speaking of the results and reflection of the tournament, "I think the key to getting good results is a normal attitude. Not to get too excited or regretful whether winning or losing" said Harimoto.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Let's hope that in Sweden, Hayata will be able to qualify without loss ...
It is very likely that Kato and Shibata will also qualify ......
China in qualifications did not fall to anyone of them ....:)

Jan 2018
TV Tokyo Promo for Team World Cup and Judo Grand Slam Osaka

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Let's hope that in Sweden, Hayata will be able to qualify without loss ...
It is very likely that Kato and Shibata will also qualify ......
China in qualifications did not fall to anyone of them ....:)

You're right. Seems like she will do fine. Notable names from her group are Shao Jieni, Li Jie and Odo Satsuki, but she has a good chance of winning.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
My idol thinks the Swedish Open and German Open will be very important to her. Goal is to reach the SF. OTOH, Hirano says her confidence is on the rise from her recent performance.

https://sportsbull.jp/p/626708/
 卓球女子世界ランク8位の石川佳純(26)=全農=が29日、ワールドツアーのスウェーデン・オープン(OP)、ドイツOPに向けて羽田空港を出発した。「自分にとって大事な2大会。後悔のないプレーができたらいいですし、毎試合レベルアップしていく気持ちで戦いたい。一戦一戦勝ち上がって、目標はベスト4」と意気込んだ。

3種目に出場したアジア選手権(インドネシア)から24日に帰国し、限られた期間でもサーブやレシーブを中心に入念に調整してきた。20年東京五輪代表選考レースも残り3ヶ月。「五輪レースも終盤。ワールドツアーも残り少ないし、一戦一戦でどんどん変わっていく状況。そこで勝っていくことで五輪につながってくるので、頑張りたい気持ちです」と決意の面持ちだった。

https://sportsbull.jp/p/626713/
 卓球女子世界ランク9位の平野美宇(19)=日本生命=が29日、ワールドツアーのスウェーデン・オープン(OP)、ドイツOPに向けて羽田空港を出発した。

24日にアジア選手権から帰国したばかりだが、10月も格付けの高い女子W杯(中国・成都)を含めて3連戦が控える。連戦が続く中でも「最近は比較的いい試合ができている大会が多い。どんどん良くなってるっていうのはすごく自信になるので、今回も1試合ずつ決勝のつもりで戦いたい」と表情は明るかった。

20年東京五輪代表選考レースも残り3か月となった。五輪代表選考に関わるポイントでは現時点で2番手だが「ラストスパート、ここからが大事だなと思っているので。日本人の中で一番成績がいい大会をどんどん多くして、一番上になるんだって気持ちを持って戦いたい」と決意を込めた。

Jan 2018
"I want to become a versatile player, the complete package." - Ito

After finishing SF in Bulgaria Open and T2 China was cancelled, she pulled out of Paraguay Open so that she could use the month-long period, which is hard to come by now, to train, reflect and work on various things.

Her latest challenge is to become a versatile player, one that is able to handle it all, capable of saying "I can do it" even if playing at the opponent's own game.

For now, she can't beat the CNT without taking risks. With risks come mistakes, and so at 50-50 her chance is roughly the same. Right now, she's at 40-60, workable, but if she cannot finish in 1 or 2 shots, then the chance of losing will go up. If it becomes 70-30, it'd be like taking no risk. She wants to be a player who can say that her current risk-taking game is "only natural" and not one that is all about taking risk.

And so after a month of training, she feels she's closer to that goal. With 5 or 6 tournaments left this year, every one of them becomes crucial. She wants to have a great start from the outset at the Swedish Open and German Open.

https://hochi.news/articles/20191001-OHT1T50072.html
 9月は大会に出ず、練習期間にしました。世界ランキングのポイントを考えてパラグアイ・オープン(OP)に出ようと考えていましたが、8月のブルガリアOPではベスト4でしっかりポイントを取ることができ、T2ダイヤモンドも延期になったので、少し試合数を絞って頑張ろうと切り替えました。まだ試合があるから大丈夫ではなく、この試合に懸けようという思いで戦っていきたいです。

1年間のうち、1か月間練習できることはなかなかありません。もちろん大会でレベルアップする部分はすごくありますが、試合続きで1週間しかない場合はできることも限られ、試合に対しての練習になってしまいます。でも、今回みたいに1か月間空いたときは反省点プラス少し前を振り返ったり、やれることを増やしたり、いろんなことに挑戦できる。すごくプラスにとらえて、充実して過ごすことができたと思います。

私自身、課題としているのが「何でもできる選手」になることです。何でもできれば、負けない選手になれると思います。タイミングや変化などいろいろありますが得点源を増やしていって、それが相手のコースに入って初めて「できる」と言えます。今はトップの中国選手にはリスクを負わないと勝てない。リスクがあるということはミスもある。確率的に50対50なら勝ったり負けたりですけど、今は40対60。競るけど、あと1~2本多く決められればとか、ギリギリ勝てないことが多いです。

それが70対30ぐらいになっていけば、リスクを負っていないようなもの。今のリスクを負った強さが「これ当たり前ですよ」と言えるぐらい、リスクを負うっていう言葉を出さないぐらいの選手になりたいです。

1か月間みっちり練習できたことで何でもできる選手に少し近付けたかなと思います。今年も残り5、6大会。本当に大事な試合しかないので、いつも通り1試合目から出し切ることを意識していきたいです。まずはスウェーデンOP、ドイツOP。前よりもいろんなことができるようになった自分を出せていけたらいいなと思います。

Last edited:
Jan 2018
More Harimoto's comments on his 2 matches with XX at ATTC.

"Because the serve is low and short, there is a possibility that I will make a mistake and I will be limited even if I put in the shot. I wanted to aim for the next ball, but the course(note: shot path) was completely different for singles and team, and there were many tactics. The shot quality is No. 1 or 2 in the world, with spin so strong there's no stopping it with the racket."

https://hochi.news/articles/20191001-OHT1T50073.html
 男子世界ランク5位の張本智和(16)=木下グループ=が9月のアジア選手権で貴重な経験を積んだ。同1位の許キン(中国)と2度対戦。団体は1―3、シングルスは0―3で敗れた。

張本は13歳だった17年世界選手権個人戦準々決勝での初対戦から許と6試合戦い、現在の中国トップ5で唯一の未勝利だ。7月に15年2月以来の世界1位に復帰した29歳の強さを「サーブが低くて短いので自分がミスする可能性もあるし、入れるとしても限定されてしまう。その次のボールを狙おうと思ったけど、シングルスと団体でコースも全然違って戦術が多い。1球の質も世界で1、2番。ラケットに当たった瞬間に止められないみたいな回転と強さがある」と表現する。

ただ、2度の敗戦は世界1位との差を測る指針にもなった。「対戦することで課題も増えると思うし、もっと対戦したい」。成長を目指し、今後の再戦へ意欲を見せた。(林 直史)

Last edited:
Reactions: Vlad Celler
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
[size=+1]Just go and dissect on the MaLong's playing rubber circularly. Big turmoil, to surprise Ma Long off his feet. Huh, we need some big turmoil before the OG starts.[/size]
Mr.Kimura-san is the very man to command the whole turmoil. Well done, my friend.

Last edited: