Japan Women's Race to Tokyo 2020 Singles

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
I believe Korean men’s selection is quite clear. JYS, LSS and JWJ will be selected. LSS will probably play XD with JJH if they can be qualified. So MS will probably be JYS and JWJ.

For Korean women’s team, JJH is the core and will play team, WS and XD. I guess SHW will be selected for team and single as well due to her WR. Then they will need someone to play double with JJH for the team event. YHE is the obvious choice due to her experience and long-term WD partnership with JJH. But somehow I want SYB to be selected instead.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I do not but they rather have no chance to be second seeded like germany.
Although they can meet Japan in earlier round but if they not take lim jonghoon I doubt they have chance especially with LSS who doesn't play top level for a long time.

Not sure why - Jang Woojin, Lee Sangsu and Jeoung Youngsik can be above Dima.and Ovtcharov and you never know how healthy Boll will be. I agree it is more likely Germany will be on top, but Korea is dangerous any time.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Not sure why - Jang Woojin, Lee Sangsu and Jeoung Youngsik can be above Dima.and Ovtcharov and you never know how healthy Boll will be. I agree it is more likely Germany will be on top, but Korea is dangerous any time.
For me jwj is very unstable if you look his this year matches. He lost many matches to lower ranked players.
JYS is also unstable but this year od much better.
LSS is getting worse and worse.
Of course they can be dangerous like england and Sweden can be.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Miyazaki is kind of being the boss at JTTA for deciding the team, although he said all coaches opinions will be considered.

Regarding women's team, indeed he said that the team will be built to beat China (meaning they are optimistic they can win other teams easily - which i think is the case). 2nd seed is guaranteed even without Hirano. He said they are basically facing 3 choices: (1) Ito to play 2 singles, choose a right handed player to team up with Ishikawa for doubles, and the logical choice is Hirano (2) choose Ishikawa as an ace to play 2 singles, and then choose a left handed player - Hayata - to play doubles with Ito (3) choose Sato to play 2 singles and let Ito play doubles with Ishikawa.

Regarding Men's team, the ambitions are more modest, they want to build a team to get a medal [meaning they are being realistic about their chances of challenging China]. For that purpose, it is important to stay seeded #2, which is possible only if Mizutani is being selected. We know from the man himself he is not very motivated to play at the Olympics, but he will do his job for the country. Miyazaki then said that if the 2nd was guaranteed actually it would make sense to let play the right-handed Yoshimura with Niwa in doubles and let Harimoto play 2 singles - instead of selecting Mizutani.

And yes, they will decide on January 6th. I don't know the reason but they are committing to that date.

He finally praised Ito, and said often her matches against Chinese players are often decided by a narrow margin, its often just the question of being a bit more lucky on a net or edge
He'd better put his hopes down as regards Sato playing two singles as an option, Only Ding Ning, Wang Yidi and Wang Manyu every other time struggles with her, Shasha, CM, Liu Shiwen beat her without two much problems, And LGL was saying in that post TWC video about Ding's role to play DOUBLES in the final being hindered by the injury, so there was no plan for her to play singles against Japan or so it seems to me, Shasha played Sato in the ATTC team final and if not for her forcing things she should have had a 3-0 victory but 3-1 is not bad either, So it's only against Ding that the Sato plan can work, And for what it's worth, the CNT can engage Ding is some special chopper practice and going into the Olympics, she suddenly meets Sato and wins with ease lol, Then what?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
yeh he did mention the Sato option but i think it was more to put it on the table and then dismiss it. thats what can be implied a bit by the way he speaks and explains the whole thing. At least thats how i perceived it

I think he just wants to give the impression that he didn't just pick the team with his eyes closed. We all know the team already. The top 3 guys have a year to fix it and so do the women.

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2019
He'd better put his hopes down as regards Sato playing two singles as an option, Only Ding Ning, Wang Yidi and Wang Manyu every other time struggles with her, Shasha, CM, Liu Shiwen beat her without two much problems, And LGL was saying in that post TWC video about Ding's role to play DOUBLES in the final being hindered by the injury, so there was no plan for her to play singles against Japan or so it seems to me, Shasha played Sato in the ATTC team final and if not for her forcing things she should have had a 3-0 victory but 3-1 is not bad either, So it's only against Ding that the Sato plan can work, And for what it's worth, the CNT can engage Ding is some special chopper practice and going into the Olympics, she suddenly meets Sato and wins with ease lol, Then what?

In addition to this. Sato cannot play two singles I thought. She would have to come in as the third player since she didnt finish in the top 2, and the third player always has to play doubles during an olympic team match. Meaning Sato couldnt play two singles.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
What are the rules for reserve players in mixed doubles? If say Mima gets injured, is Ishikawa or Hirano paired with Mizutani instead? Or does a reserve pair (Hina/Harimoto) automatically replace them? Or do they just forfeit their spot altogether?

Yes, it is interesting...

For me jwj is very unstable if you look his this year matches. He lost many matches to lower ranked players.
JYS is also unstable but this year od much better.
LSS is getting worse and worse.
Of course they can be dangerous like england and Sweden can be.

It's certainly not the case that they simply CAN be dangerous like england and sweden can be. They are ALWAYS dangerous and a solid team, unlike england and sweden, the potential levels of all their top players are uncomparable when all of them are well prepared. Just look at the last 2 WTTTCs and the recent World Team Cup.

Korea played China in the final of the world cup and won a doubles game (JYS and LSS vs Xu Xin/LJK), after beating Chinese Taipei 3-0. England lost to Chinese Taipei 0-3, and Sweden lost to the USA in the groups.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
What are the rules for reserve players in mixed doubles? If say Mima gets injured, is Ishikawa or Hirano paired with Mizutani instead? Or does a reserve pair (Hina/Harimoto) automatically replace them? Or do they just forfeit their spot altogether?

No idea since the XD is a new event.

For previous editions, a team may participate with 2 players if the 3rd player is injured, ill or disqualified. Replacement must be made 2 hours before the start the next match. It appears no replacement is allowed for singles event.

https://web.archive.org/web/2016081.../Regulations/Rio2016_Specific_Regulations.pdf

Jan 2018
I do not but they rather have no chance to be second seeded like germany.
Although they can meet Japan in earlier round but if they not take lim jonghoon I doubt they have chance especially with LSS who doesn't play top level for a long time.

Double faceplam...
9omsH6L.jpg

In case it's not apparent to you, every country is aiming for the XD event. LSS/JJH is the only pair to have pushed XX/LSW to the brink of death in WTTC(3-4) and ATTC(2-3).

The lineup at the TWC already makes it clear. Interpolate the rest on your own.

Jan 2018
Don't worry about what Miyazaki said on TV.

He has to remain unbiased and present all options. Well, not all as Kato was left out but the co-host mistook her for Sato. His stance has already been made very clear, that there must be a certain mechanism for team selection.

BTW, the final episode of the NHK documentary series of the selection race will air next Sunday. Stay tuned.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
https://www.daily.co.jp/general/2019/12/15/0012961042.shtml
 伊藤は1-9といきなり劣勢となった第1ゲームを大逆転で先取したが、過去0勝2敗の世界1位の壁にはね返された。混合ダブルス決勝から約2時間しか休憩がなく、試合中には腰に痛みも感じたという。

大会中は短時間睡眠を強いられる日もあり「元気がなかった。自分が勝手にストレスを感じてしまった」と疲労困ぱい。「19歳だが(体力的には)たぶん30歳くらいだと思う。疲れを取りながら頑張りたい」と自嘲しつつ、「五輪中もどれだけ寝られるか分からない。どんな状態でも勝てるように地力を上げたい」と誓った。
Ito pre-empted the first game, which suddenly became inferior with 1-9, with a major reversal, but was hit back to the world's top wall with 0 wins and 2 losses. He had a break only about 2 hours after the mixed doubles final and felt pain in his waist during the match.

“There was a day when I was forced to sleep for a short time during the tournament,” I was not feeling well. “I'm 19 years old but I think I'm about 30 years old. I want to do my best while getting tired,” he said, “I do n’t know how much I can sleep during the Olympics. I vowed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
No idea since the XD is a new event.

For previous editions, a team may participate with 2 players if the 3rd player is injured, ill or disqualified. Replacement must be made 2 hours before the start the next match. It appears no replacement is allowed for singles event.

https://web.archive.org/web/2016081.../Regulations/Rio2016_Specific_Regulations.pdf

Teams are allocated to the NOCs by number (1 team and 2 athletes). The remaining single places and mix places are allocated to the athletes. For me this means that it is not up to the NOC to replace an injured player in singles or an injured pair in mix. The place will go to the next qualified player or pair. (I think it might be difficult to find the next qualified mix double pair that complies with the regulations close to the games. They would have to be entered for the games, and even in the team if the nations has one. I dont think the nation would use it's P athlete as a late replacement for mix, and then losing the original player for the team).