Japan Women's Race to Tokyo 2020 Singles

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
And many now concur with Ito...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
I don’t understand why JTTA attaches such great importance to the January ITTF ranking for selection in Tokyo 2020 ...
Incidentally, it is by January that Ito and Hayata may have a sharp drop in the ITTF rating ....(more precisely, already in the December ranking) ...

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
Jan 2018
I don’t understand why JTTA attaches such great importance to the January ITTF ranking for selection in Tokyo 2020 ...
Incidentally, it is by January that Ito and Hayata may have a sharp drop in the ITTF rating ....(more precisely, already in the December ranking) ...

From the document for selection criteria, they're basically going by the performance/results of the players in the year before Tokyo 2020. Some kind of tradition.

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
I think it is quite normal. Usualy for such big events there is special camp with Focus on preparation only for that event. So they want to choose those players let's Say half year before the event and Focus on their training.

Jan 2018
ZC1JcAe.png

kdDbF5E.png

Jan 2018
Some kind of "you should've picked me for the ATTC" message?

Jan 2018
I understand the confusion since multiple related posts were made separately as things unfolded.

Basically, Ito gave her pick of the Olympic selections if she were the Chinese coach. It got reported in China and needless to say the general public was very generous in offering their views and opinions. FYI, the general public is made up of fans of DN/LSW/CM/ZYL/WMY/SYS, Tieba coaching staff(akin to the Goon Squad here on TTD), keyboard warriors and whatnot.

So, the general consensus before this ATTC is that Ito was full of shit for picking SYS for singles. Then folks were startled when they saw the lineup for the team final. Sure enough, all kinds of speculation/conjecture sprang up like mushrooms. And now that SYS has won the ATTC, folks are praising Ito for her keen insight. It's hilarious but that's how opinions shift as things unfold.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
Looks like CTTA revised its player lineup for the Swedish and German Open. https://www.ittf.com/2019/09/23/chinese-player-participation-lists-changed-upcoming-events/

Most notable how the new German Open entry list, messes up Ishikawa's Olympic Singles chances a bit. They removed Liu Shiwen, Ding Ning and Zhu Yuling from the lineup, so Ito is now a top 4 seed in this event and won't meet either Chen Meng, Sun Yingsha or Wang Manyu till the SF. Ishikawa, however, remains the 5th seed and can meet either of the above 4 players by the QF. Furthermore, it also moves Hirano to a Top 8 seeded position, so Ishikawa lost her advantage over Hirano in terms of favorability of draws since Hirano was supposed to be seeded 9th before the lineup change.

The German Open is a Platinum Event, with big points on the line, so the decision of CTTA to revise its lineup is big news in terms of the overall singles race.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Looks like CTTA revised its player lineup for the Swedish and German Open. https://www.ittf.com/2019/09/23/chinese-player-participation-lists-changed-upcoming-events/

Most notable how the new German Open entry list, messes up Ishikawa's Olympic Singles chances a bit. They removed Liu Shiwen, Ding Ning and Zhu Yuling from the lineup, so Ito is now a top 4 seed in this event and won't meet either Chen Meng, Sun Yingsha or Wang Manyu till the SF. Ishikawa, however, remains the 5th seed and can meet either of the above 4 players by the QF. Furthermore, it also moves Hirano to a Top 8 seeded position, so Ishikawa lost her advantage over Hirano in terms of favorability of draws since Hirano was supposed to be seeded 9th before the lineup change.

The German Open is a Platinum Event, with big points on the line, so the decision of CTTA to revise its lineup is big news in terms of the overall singles race.

There are enough CNT players in the event which can beat the best JNT players even with the withdrawal of the top seeds that your analysis presupposes a lot based on seeding. Everyone still needs good luck with their specific draws to avoid CNT players in earlier rounds, including CNT players.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Just to remind the best of others:
Chen Xintong
Gu Yuting
Wang Yidi
all these 3 will be very difficult to overcome by anybody outside of china.
And there are others who can be beaten but still it is 50:50
Generaly it all depends on luck. But the truth is it will be very important for all top3 japanese players.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
I absolute agree with both Next Level and Sali that the draws of the qualifications rounds and after the qualification rounds will also be important. That's why I said, it may mess up Ishikawa's chances a bit. Any one of the top Japanese players can lose in the first round to a Chinese qualifier due to bad luck. Still, Ito and Hirano are in much better positions now and have slightly better chances to do well compared to if China had stayed with its original line-up with Ding Ning, Liu Shiwen and Zhu Yuling. I still stand by my opinion that this news on CTTA's lineup revision has the potential to impact the race in a big way.

Before the revision of lineup:
Hirano had a better chance of drawing a CNT member early than Ito and Ishikawa, who have equal chances of drawing a CNT early.

After the revision of lineup:
Ito has a better chance of avoiding drawing a CNT member early than Hirano and Ishikawa, who have now equal chances of drawing a CNT early.

Won't be surprised though if in Reality:
All 3 of them draw a CNT member in the first round. :))

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
It will be interesting to see the composition of the Chinese team in Austria and Markham ....
(and on the second T-2 Diamond ...)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
I absolute agree with both Next Level and Sali that the draws of the qualifications rounds and after the qualification rounds will also be important. That's why I said, it may mess up Ishikawa's chances a bit. Any one of the top Japanese players can lose in the first round to a Chinese qualifier due to bad luck. Still, Ito and Hirano are in much better positions now and have slightly better chances to do well compared to if China had stayed with its original line-up with Ding Ning, Liu Shiwen and Zhu Yuling. I still stand by my opinion that this news on CTTA's lineup revision has the potential to impact the race in a big way.

Before the revision of lineup:
Hirano had a better chance of drawing a CNT member early than Ito and Ishikawa, who have equal chances of drawing a CNT early.

After the revision of lineup:
Ito has a better chance of avoiding drawing a CNT member early than Hirano and Ishikawa, who have now equal chances of drawing a CNT early.

Won't be surprised though if in Reality:
All 3 of them draw a CNT member in the first round. :))

Yes I got you. still the best way is to defeat CNT member and then no calculation is needed :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
I understand the confusion since multiple related posts were made separately as things unfolded.

Basically, Ito gave her pick of the Olympic selections if she were the Chinese coach. It got reported in China and needless to say the general public was very generous in offering their views and opinions. FYI, the general public is made up of fans of DN/LSW/CM/ZYL/WMY/SYS, Tieba coaching staff(akin to the Goon Squad here on TTD), keyboard warriors and whatnot.

So, the general consensus before this ATTC is that Ito was full of shit for picking SYS for singles. Then folks were startled when they saw the lineup for the team final. Sure enough, all kinds of speculation/conjecture sprang up like mushrooms. And now that SYS has won the ATTC, folks are praising Ito for her keen insight. It's hilarious but that's how opinions shift as things unfold.

Haha I think much of the flake came from DN's fans since her inclusion seems to be based solely on the fact that she is left-handed.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Haha I think much of the flake came from DN's fans since her inclusion seems to be based solely on the fact that she is left-handed.

Yeah, it has been obvious for a while that Sun Yingsha, to paraphrase Ian Marshall, is in the ascendancy. Ito was saying nothing special to anyone but maybe fans who wanted Ding Ning to play singles.