Japan Women's Race to Tokyo 2020 Singles

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
It will be interesting to see the composition of the Chinese team in Austria and Markham ....
(and on the second T-2 Diamond ...)

Markham has NOT been confirmed yet, and CCTTA sources cannot provide any concrete information either.
(and we have missed 2 seat sales already, darn !)

Last edited:
Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Based on the most current outings' observation, any of the first line CNT women can take out Ishikawa, Hirano or Ito.
For the 3 of them, it's getting to be a bar-fight. It's not even which CNT they may meet, but amongst themselves, who can out survive the others and by how many rounds. Hit whoever stands in front of you as hard as if your life depends on it, friend or foe.
"...All 3 of them draw a CNT member in the first round..." may well be a fair start.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
JTTA hasn't fielded the pair of Ito-Hayata, it’s most successful WD team, since April’s WTTC. They’re not on the Swedish Op or the German Op either. What’s up ?

This is exactly what I recently asked about .... I do not understand ....
Most likely, Hayata will definitely not take part in TWC .....:mad:
(600 points for the last cup will be lost)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
JTTA hasn't fielded the pair of Ito-Hayata, it’s most successful WD team, since April’s WTTC. They’re not on the Swedish Op or the German Op either. What’s up ?

I'm not too worried about this. In my opinion, it has nothing to do with JTTA doubting the Hayata/Ito combination. JTTA knows that Hayata/Ito has been Japan's most successful WD pairing in recent history and the pairing doesn't have anything to prove anymore in terms of World Tour success. I don't think the World Tour Grand Finals doubles crown is that important to them given that both players have already won it twice. Both Ito and Hayata have won two World Tour Grand Finals Doubles titles (once together in 2018 and once with another partner: Ito/Hirano in 2014 and Hayata/Hamamoto in 2016). The only thing left for them to achieve is a WTTC gold medal, and their next chance is still in 2021. For now, JTTA is focusing all efforts on the short-term, which is the 2020 Olympics. Women's doubles isn't a separate event, so it makes sense for JTTA to focus on Mixed Doubles first.

Ito mainly isn't playing Women's Doubles in the World Tour since they have to test her with different partners in Mixed Doubles. If she plays Women's Doubles in addition to XD and singles, she may suffer burnout, and her results in all 3 events would suffer, so it makes sense for her to focus on singles and XD for the short-term and give up WD for a while since the Olympics are approaching. For Hayata, she's focusing on Singles and XD too since she's already proven herself in Women's Doubles. There's no need for JTTA to continually field Ito/Hayata in the World Tour since JTTA already knows that this combination works and there's nothing further to test out. Besides, even if Ito/Hayata won doubles titles in the World Tour this year, the WR points from those wins can't be used for the 2021 World Champs since these points would have expired by then. Priority has to go to finding a XD pairing that works for the Olympics.

In fact, other countries have also been putting more focus on XD in preparation for the Olympics while the Women's Doubles of other countries are mainly for experimentation this year. HK has broken the Lee Ho Ching/Doo Hoi Kem pairing at times to test other pairings. Korea also did the same for their most successful pairing of Jeon/Yang. You can look at the Top of the World Tour Standings for Women's Doubles and see that most countries haven't fielded a stable and set pairing for Women's Doubles. Countries just aren't prioritizing Women's Doubles this year when Mixed Doubles is more important given the Olympics.

I suspect that after the Olympics in 2020, that's when Hayata/Ito will make a return on the World Tour in order to again build up WR points for a good seeding for the 2021 World Championships. That's the only thing left for the pair to accomplish and they'll definitely work hard again to accomplish it. However, that's not the main goal as of now with the Olympics coming up, so it makes sense for JTTA to focus efforts on the Olympics first before focusing on the 2021 World Championships.

Last edited:
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Reactions: Tempest/Comet
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
So...Kato - Hayata - Shibata ....
Kato at the end of ATTS improved its result in the ITTF ranking ....7905...Hayata in the ranking for October will be higher than Shibata ......7570 (.Shibata-7250)..
All three are declared in Sweden, Germany, where they will qualify ....Hayata and Shibata declared in Poland and Belarus ....

Will the position in the November ranking of these three players change based on the results of these four tours?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
So...Kato - Hayata - Shibata ....
Kato at the end of ATTS improved its result in the ITTF ranking ....7905...Hayata in the ranking for October will be higher than Shibata ......7570 (.Shibata-7250)..
All three are declared in Sweden, Germany, where they will qualify ....Hayata and Shibata declared in Poland and Belarus ....

Will the position in the November ranking of these three players change based on the results of these four tours?

Current JNT 2020 qualification REALITY ranking is Ito, Hirano, Ishikawa, Kato, Sato and Hayata. Hayata (6625) at 6th position is 570 pts behind Kato (7195), 510 pts behind Sato (7135). Shibata at 5720 is hors de combat.
If Hayata can claw back to #5, she stands a fair chance to be considered, given her WD prowess.

Reactions: Vlad Celler
Jan 2018
Sato will likely make the cut for T2 Singapore. Hayata will have a very difficult road ahead, but if ever she makes it happen then that would certainly put Sato and Kato to shame...

Jan 2018
https://hochi.news/articles/20190924-OHT1T50294.html
20190924-OHT1I50225-L.jpg

卓球女子世界ランク8位の石川佳純(26)=全農=が24日、同9位の平野美宇(19)=日本生命=とのダブルスペアに好感触を得た。3種目に出場したアジア選手権(インドネシア)から羽田空港に帰国。過去に組んだ大会では準備期間が少なかったが、今回は国内で4日間練習。4強入りに、「しっかりやればできるところをアピールしたかった。今までよりも力を入れて頑張って、すごい手応えを感じた」と、納得の表情だった。

平野も「お互いの特徴をつかめた」と振り返る。東京五輪で組む可能性もあるだけに、今後も定期的に練習を重ねる考えだ。
The table tennis women's world ranking No. 8 Yoshizumi Ishikawa (26) = Zen-no-no = got a good impression from the double spare with 24th Miu Hirano (19) = Nihon Seimei = No. 9 on the 24th. Returned to Haneda Airport from 3rd Asian Championship (Indonesia). In previous tournaments, the preparation period was short, but this time we practiced 4 days in Japan. “I wanted to appeal what I could do if I could do it firmly. I worked harder than ever and felt a great response,” he said.

Hirano recalls that “we have grasped each other's characteristics”. Since there is a possibility of teaming at the Tokyo Olympics, I will continue to practice regularly in the future.

-----------------------------------
Not looking good for Hayata.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
I think the 3rd player is not selected based on world ranking so I think he has a shot at the 3rd spot.
If Mizutani is going, then it's no chance for Morisono, there can only be ONE pairing for XD, the Mizutani-Ito combo has 500 pts in the 2019 WT ranking as of now, vs 150 for Morizono-Ito. I would say the Mizutani-Ito combination is the more viable choice.
Nobody in JTTA has that much pull to leapfrog someone with a 3005 pt deficit, and not exactly good in top level singles (currently WR 62, 2019 WT rank 52), into the 3 men OLYMPIC team. Nobody.
Morizono is going only in the wildest fantasy.
(edit - UNLESS Mizutani looses his vision)

Last edited: