Japan Women's Race to Tokyo 2020 Singles

This user has no status.
yeh the most likely outcome is the team will be those 3. There is still an outside chance of Hayata being chosen for her doubles ability as its quite obvious Ishikawa is a bit hopeless in this discipline. But then its still possible to make an Ito/Hirano pair.

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
yeh the most likely outcome is the team will be those 3. There is still an outside chance of Hayata being chosen for her doubles ability as its quite obvious Ishikawa is a bit hopeless in this discipline. But then its still possible to make an Ito/Hirano pair.

In connection with the latter, it will be interesting to see the JNT application for Germany Platinum ..... Deadline on applications at the end of December .... Who will be declared in the WD and the CD .....

This user has no status.
there is also the selection for World Team Championships which happen before the Olympics. I think it's stupid to make this competition in an Olympic year, but hey thats ITTF.

I believe the both the CNT and JNT may not send their best players there.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
n8TD368.png

fCZc8sS.jpg

2nd best case scenario for China.

Hayata is out now that Hirano is practically out of the singles race. JNT will be forced to go with Mizutani/Ito for the XD and forgo the MT.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
Sure. But Ishikawa beat Qiang Zhang more convincingly than Hayata ever did. And Miyu Kato beat Li Jiayi more convincingly than Hayata ever did. At some point, you need to accept that Hayata still has major gaps in her game and stop putting down those people who have other gaps but get the job done.

Ya, right. If we go by the score, Ando should go. That makes so much logical sense.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
A quick silly question. German Open 2019 took place between 10-13 October. German Open 2020 will be held from 28 Jan to 2 Feb. If WR points for each Open is valid for 12 months, does that mean... the points accrued from GO2020 will only be valid in November 2020? Lol. I mean, it will be rather sad for the winners of 2019 to have their 2250 points valid for only three months and the winners of 2020 to have to wait 10 months for their 2250 points to kick in.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
A quick silly question. German Open 2019 took place between 10-13 October. German Open 2020 will be held from 28 Jan to 2 Feb. If WR points for each Open is valid for 12 months, does that mean... the points accrued from GO2020 will only be valid in November 2020? Lol. I mean, it will be rather sad for the winners of 2019 to have their 2250 points valid for only three months and the winners of 2020 to have to wait 10 months for their 2250 points to kick in.

I believe that the points awarded for the results at ITTF Pro-Tour will be valid for a year ....
No matter where the particular tour was ....Even if, for example, in Germany there were three Tours in one year (theoretically), they do not replace each other ....All results will be valid for one year each ....

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
Jan 2018
You're telling me.

SZS079f.png

Jan 2018
Let me try again. In Chinese sports forums, there's this common term as "一場論", which roughly translates to "judging a player by one match". Post #1147 is a hands-on application of that.

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
And this is a pity ... This is a guaranteed maximum second place in Tokyo ... The first is out of the question ....

Let's be real. First place in Tokyo in any event but XD has always been out of the question. And if LSW/XX are healthy XD is out too.

China owns international table tennis. I can kind of understand why that bothers peeps who turn even every individual event like a WT Open into a national contest. But I still think it's stupid. Most sports and games are dominated by one country or a tiny set of countries. Basketball, cricket, gymnastics, track, snooker, swimming, diving, and darts are all ones that come to mind. There are a few exceptions, and table tennis may be an extreme case. But it's a difference in degree and not in kind. And it takes nothing away from the beauty of the game or the incredible skills of the players.

This user has no status.
Let's be real. First place in Tokyo in any event but XD has always been out of the question. And if LSW/XX are healthy XD is out too.

China owns international table tennis. I can kind of understand why that bothers peeps who turn even every individual event like a WT Open into a national contest. But I still think it's stupid. Most sports and games are dominated by one country or a tiny set of countries. Basketball, cricket, gymnastics, track, snooker, swimming, diving, and darts are all ones that come to mind. There are a few exceptions, and table tennis may be an extreme case. But it's a difference in degree and not in kind. And it takes nothing away from the beauty of the game or the incredible skills of the players.

of course not out of the question, else athletes wouldn't even participate.
Chances are slim but they exist. More chances of upsets in XD than in singles, and more chances in singles than team events. but not nil.

There are only 2 Chinese players in singles. Chances of China not winning is much higher than in WTTC. of course Ito is the challenger #1 in Women's singles but other athletes have an outside chance as well. Ishikawa, but also Doo, Cheng or Feng for example. For men, there are even more serious contenders.

Team Japan is the mean threat for China in the Women's Team, and in the Men's Team, Germany and Korea are the main threats.

in Rio, China Gold medal match wasn't a walk in the park. Mizutani beated XX against all expectations, and the Japanese doubles was very near to win G3 and then who knows what would have happened ? ... With ZJK left to play who was far from being in top form.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Let me try again. In Chinese sports forums, there's this common term as "一場論", which roughly translates to "judging a player by one match". Post #1147 is a hands-on application of that.

Of course. But I didn't look at one match. I looked at a variety of opponents who both Kato and Ishikawa and Hayata had played and noted that when Kato or Ishikawa did well, they were not given credit even though these were precisely the same opponents that Hayata struggled with. The problem is not one match but whether one should continue to make excuses for Hayata when there are no obvious ones to be made. Now we are pointing at the ease of Kato's draw when Kato beat a CNT opponent. Then we will say that Batra wore out Li Jiayi and... it gets tiring at a certain point. Just win or go home.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019

I don't believe in "out of the question". It's all about probabilities. Though I'll agree that the probabilities are low for Japan for gold most events and extremely low in the teams event. However, Mima Ito has already shown that she's capable of beating *anyone*. If she can draw energy from the crowd, and China's stars succumb to Olympic pressure, gold is possible in singles. It's not just wishful thinking on my part. If gold is reserved for China, then Yoo Nam Kyu, Waldner, and Ryu Seung Min would never have gold medals.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
I don't believe in "out of the question". It's all about probabilities. Though I'll agree that the probabilities are low for Japan for gold most events and extremely low in the teams event. However, Mima Ito has already shown that she's capable of beating *anyone*. If she can draw energy from the crowd, and China's stars succumb to Olympic pressure, gold is possible in singles. It's not just wishful thinking on my part. If gold is reserved for China, then Yoo Nam Kyu, Waldner, and Ryu Seung Min would never have gold medals.

People may not know this but home court advantage is a huge deal. I heard that in Seoul, the Koreans had their players stay close to the venue and forced other players to commute a longer distance. Not saying that such stuff will happen in 2020 but home court matters.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
The japan 'race to 2020' is providing a bunch of interesting matches. I am glad that Ishikawa has thrown off her inhibitions and shown her best side against Hirano. Its difficult to tell which of Hirano or ishikawa is most likely to do the business in the olympic arena. If in the next few months Japan can consistently field four or five players who threaten China's elite, (ito, hirano, ishikawa,sato, hashimoto). Then China may start to worry. They would probably like to field Chen Meng, Wang Manyu and Sun yingsha. But memories of when Singapore prevailed over Ding Ning, and Liu Shewen, gives them a big problem imho. The experienced players have been defeated too often for comfort, but the young stars though brilliant may not have the steely resolve to handle the occasion.
As far as Hayata's recent performances are concerned, I have a feeling that the coaching staff have instructed her to use the next few tournaments to maximise her aggression with a take no prisoners approach. If she learns to combine her mobility and power to all out intensity with fewer errors, she may soon become clear owner of the number 2 spot on the japanese team, or at the very least she will be a great bet for the doubles.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016

I still remember Ryu Seung Min (Mr.Footwork) blasting his way to gold. Heaps of talent with right mental and physical conditioning before the games saw him excel against CNT. And of course that fearless aggressive attitude. So definitely non CNT gold is possible. I would give ITO , Harimoto , LYJ a fair chance of denying CNT. CNT would also face a daunting task of selecting the best single players for the games. If they do select DN and ML for their experience, I think it would by default make everybody else's job much more easier since they are very vulnerable right now.

Last edited: