Japan Women's Race to Tokyo 2020 Singles

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Besides of his waist injury, I think Mizutani is in a very bad mood or depression after losing the Olympic single spot.

Anywhere we can watch Japan Top 12 online?

To be honest, I don’t know yet ... I think someone will tell when the games will start ....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
We've Crossed the Finish Line

With the WTGF wrapped up, the Singles Race is over. Congratulations to Ito and Ishikawa for crossing the finish line first. For the first singles spot, Ito took it convincingly with almost a 4000-point lead in WR points over Ishikawa. A big reason for this is Ito’s improved consistency. She’s consistently gone deep in the majority of this year’s tournaments and didn’t lose against any non-Chinese foreigner this year. Even though she won one less tournament than last year, I consider this year to be her best in terms of overall performance.

In my opinion, in the race for the 2nd spot, everything was still up in the air until the North American Open concluded. That tournament pretty much determined not only the singles representative but the team composition as well. I mentioned earlier that Ishikawa and Hirano may withdraw from that tournament given the number of Chinese players entered and the fact that they can only gain a small number of points even if they won the tournament. I thought they might be better off focusing on the WTGF given concerns of jet lag. I'm glad they proved me wrong, and they defeated all Chinese players in their path to the final for the last singles spot. It was a tournament where both were called to step up, and they both did so after their shaky performances in the last quarter of the year.

Unfortunately for Hayata, that tournament was a big blow to her Olympic chances. There are two main arguments for selecting Hayata for the Olympic team: 1. She's the best doubles player on the national team and 2. She's more of a threat against Chinese players than her other teammates besides Ito. The first statement still holds true. However, the second statement was put in question after the tournament. The theory was that if Hirano and Ishikawa also started in the qualifications like Hayata and met Chinese opponents early on, Hayata would perform better. However, in this tournament, the opposite happened, and Hayata lost to the first Chinese opponent she faced while Ishikawa, Hirano, and Kato all defeated 2 Chinese opponents on their way to the Top 4. Hayata still had the best winning rate against Chinese players among the JNT this year, and no one can take that away from her. However, it's unfortunate she was unable to win when it mattered, which was in the NA Open where everyone was put on equal footing in facing Chinese players early. She'll have a chance at redemption in the WTTTC trials and next year's tournaments.

Lastly, I just want to thank everyone for your contributions to this thread. When I started this thread a few months ago, I never expected it to be so active. I honestly just expected to post updates of the WR points after each tournament but even Zeio took over that role by coming up with a better and more comprehensive spreadsheet to keep track of the race. I enjoyed reading the discussions in this thread and learned a lot from all of you. I also look forward to our future discussions especially with the Japan WTTTC trials/Top 12 coming up (still not sure if I should start a new thread or just use this thread for the discussion). While the tournament is technically only for determining a spot in the WTTTC next year, who knows what impact the performance of players in the tournament may have in their chances at the 3rd Olympic spot or at the very least, the Olympic alternate spot since the official announcement of these spots are still on Jan. 6, 2020.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Thanks for the update. I think Ishikawa's experience will help JNT. There are only. two Chinese in singles and I think she will do good against the non-chinese bunch. Tough luck for Hayata but she can try her luck in next cycle. It is time for her to fill the holes in her game which is mainly consistency and the mental aspect.

BTW., who are in the Men's team ?

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
With the WTGF wrapped up, the Singles Race is over. Congratulations to Ito and Ishikawa for crossing the finish line first. For the first singles spot, Ito took it convincingly with almost a 4000-point lead in WR points over Ishikawa. A big reason for this is Ito’s improved consistency. She’s consistently gone deep in the majority of this year’s tournaments and didn’t lose against any non-Chinese foreigner this year. Even though she won one less tournament than last year, I consider this year to be her best in terms of overall performance.

In my opinion, in the race for the 2nd spot, everything was still up in the air until the North American Open concluded. That tournament pretty much determined not only the singles representative but the team composition as well. I mentioned earlier that Ishikawa and Hirano may withdraw from that tournament given the number of Chinese players entered and the fact that they can only gain a small number of points even if they won the tournament. I thought they might be better off focusing on the WTGF given concerns of jet lag. I'm glad they proved me wrong, and they defeated all Chinese players in their path to the final for the last singles spot. It was a tournament where both were called to step up, and they both did so after their shaky performances in the last quarter of the year.

Unfortunately for Hayata, that tournament was a big blow to her Olympic chances. There are two main arguments for selecting Hayata for the Olympic team: 1. She's the best doubles player on the national team and 2. She's more of a threat against Chinese players than her other teammates besides Ito. The first statement still holds true. However, the second statement was put in question after the tournament. The theory was that if Hirano and Ishikawa also started in the qualifications like Hayata and met Chinese opponents early on, Hayata would perform better. However, in this tournament, the opposite happened, and Hayata lost to the first Chinese opponent she faced while Ishikawa, Hirano, and Kato all defeated 2 Chinese opponents on their way to the Top 4. Hayata still had the best winning rate against Chinese players among the JNT this year, and no one can take that away from her. However, it's unfortunate she was unable to win when it mattered, which was in the NA Open where everyone was put on equal footing in facing Chinese players early. She'll have a chance at redemption in the WTTTC trials and next year's tournaments.

Lastly, I just want to thank everyone for your contributions to this thread. When I started this thread a few months ago, I never expected it to be so active. I honestly just expected to post updates of the WR points after each tournament but even Zeio took over that role by coming up with a better and more comprehensive spreadsheet to keep track of the race. I enjoyed reading the discussions in this thread and learned a lot from all of you. I also look forward to our future discussions especially with the Japan WTTTC trials/Top 12 coming up (still not sure if I should start a new thread or just use this thread for the discussion). While the tournament is technically only for determining a spot in the WTTTC next year, who knows what impact the performance of players in the tournament may have in their chances at the 3rd Olympic spot or at the very least, the Olympic alternate spot since the official announcement of these spots are still on Jan. 6, 2020.

////I also look forward to our future discussions especially with the Japan WTTTC trials/Top 12 coming up (still not sure if I should start a new thread or just use this thread for the discussion). While the tournament is technically only for determining a spot in the WTTTC next year, who knows what impact the performance of players in the tournament may have in their chances at the 3rd Olympic spot or at the very least, the Olympic alternate spot since the official announcement of these spots are still on Jan. 6, 2020. ///
Of course go on! We wait !!! :)
(and many thanks for creating this thread! You yourself see how interesting it was for discussion! )

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
Thanks for everyone who contributed to this thread. I am still very new to this forum. This is the most interesting thread so far because unlike most other threads, it is not about a tournament, not about equipment, not about technique. Its nature is quite unique and it is amazing how this thread kept so active for so long.

And yes, let’s go on. I don’t mind to use this thread for the race to the next Olympic too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
I think for Hayata, the most critical lost of the year was losing to Kato in the last Japan Top 12 on March which cost her the WTTC single spot. And this may also make JTTA and the coaches have reservation on her mental strength. If she won that match, I can imagine she is a core JNT team member throughout the year.

I hope she can redeem herself by winning day 1 of Japan Top 12 this time and earn herself a spot in the 2020 WTTTC.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
I think for Hayata, the most critical lost of the year was losing to Kato in the last Japan Top 12 on March which cost her the WTTC single spot. And this may also make JTTA and the coaches have reservation on her mental strength. If she won that match, I can imagine she is a core JNT team member throughout the year.

I hope she can redeem herself by winning day 1 of Japan Top 12 this time and earn herself a spot in the 2020 WTTTC.

I agree, Hina Hayata and her coach need to work, Hayata has certain problems ....
So far, according to the results of the year, she practically caught up with Kato in the ITTF rating ....In any case, both will be on an equal footing, will be forced to undergo qualifications...
But when calculating the rating for March and April, Hayata’s losses will be greater than Kato’s (deduction of old points for February-March 2019)
Sato is still in 17th place ...Most likely, until the middle of the year she will be able to stay in the TOP-20, avoid qualifying rounds ....
I’m not sure that Hayata will be part of the team at WTTC-2020 ...
Top 12 - no results for seeding .....Today is likely to be published ....Main Draw for the first round ...

This user has no status.
the only real chance for Hayata or whoever else than the trio of Ito / Ishikawa / Hirano to be part of WTTC-2020 is to win the National Championships next month, or else one needs to be a very good friend of MIYAZAKI.

She is not the favourite to win, but you never know. ITO has (very) highs and (some) lows. ISHIKAWA and HIRANO are slightly better than HAYATA, there's plenty of other high level competitors. The fact that the tournament comes very early in the season means there could be some surprise (although in the last years I can't remember many big surprises !)

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
WTTTC 2020 lineup will be:
2 Olympic single players
1 Olympic team player
1 All Japan Championship (Empress Cup) single champion
1 Japan Top 12 day 1 winner

If any of the above are overlapped, the JTTA strengthen division will make decision.

Winning Japan Top 12 day 1 is like Hayata’s only chance to get to WTTTC 2020. Even if there is an open spot, e.g. Ito wins Empress Cup, JTTA will likely add Sato to WTTTC.

Hayata should have the ability to win any players besides Ito (who will not play until day 2). So she need to prove herself this time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
WTTTC 2020 lineup will be:
2 Olympic single players
1 Olympic team player
1 All Japan Championship (Empress Cup) single champion
1 Japan Top 12 day 1 winner

If any of the above are overlapped, the JTTA strengthen division will make decision.

Winning Japan Top 12 day 1 is like Hayata’s only chance to get to WTTTC 2020. Even if there is an open spot, e.g. Ito wins Empress Cup, JTTA will likely add Sato to WTTTC.

Hayata should have the ability to win any players besides Ito (who will not play until day 2). So she need to prove herself this time.

Ito and Ishikawa will not play in the first round ....

In the second round, knockout, in the top of Hirano and Sato .....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Top 12 is different from Round 2(Final) of the WTTC Qualification/Selection (pls see Title of the events - these two are separate/different competitions).
These two events are held TOGETHER so that the winner of the Qualification (1spot in the WTTC) can also become a Top 12 competitor, and that Ishikawa and Ito cannot opt out like they did before.
Hayata’s 2019 problems began with last year’s WTTC Qualification, where she breezed through R1 undefeated, only to loose to Kato in the last rounds, and lost her chance for the WTTC, and therefore significant points.
For Hayata to play in 2020’s WTTC, she has to win the on Day1(Qualification), or the All Japan National Championships.
Top 12 (day 2) has NO value on selection of any kind. Pls see Criteria as published by JTTA.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
the junior players, Kihara Nagasaki, of course, are going to serious outsiders for those 2 spots.
Kihara already lost in Round 1 of the Qualifications, placing 6, with 3 wins 2 loss. The ONLY chance for her to be in 2020’s WTTC is to win the All Japan National Championship.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
btw, truly thankful to zeio & apacible, this was a most enjoyable thread, the most that the two of us had ever posted before. And also to Vlad for his tireless computations. We feel we’re amongst friends.

Thank you from the heart, sincerely touched ...:eek::eek::eek: