Japan Women's Race to Tokyo 2020 Singles

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
with the home team world cup over we got some new intel about the JNT.

For me its quite clear thats a matter of goals. If JNT is fine finishing 2. or 3. just send Ito, Hirano and Ishikawa. Its a solid lineup and with Ito on top they will most likely win 3 singles against every other team except CTN. With the personal skill of Hirano and Ishikawa they will win most of their doubles, even if its not a great combination.

But if JNT really want to challenge CNT for gold they need to take another approach. Ito is able to compete with the CNT members, but I dont see other JNT players win more then possibly one singles game. If JNT wants to put on a fight they have to win the first doubles game! Just imagine winning the double. Ito has less pressure in her next match. Its just the other way around for the CNT first singles game player. The pressure would be quite huge. If you get behind 2-0 and play against the home crowd everything is possible.

My point is, that Ishikawa cant play doubles if JNT want to compete with CNT. And its not that her singles chances are much higher too.

If Ito / Hirano / Ishikawa play at the olympics they finish 2. or 3. 99%, but will lose to CNT. If JNT puts their main emphasis on doubles there might be a slightly higher chance of failure against teams that are not CNT, but they might have a 10% chance of beating CNT.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
with the home team world cup over we got some new intel about the JNT.

For me its quite clear thats a matter of goals. If JNT is fine finishing 2. or 3. just send Ito, Hirano and Ishikawa. Its a solid lineup and with Ito on top they will most likely win 3 singles against every other team except CTN. With the personal skill of Hirano and Ishikawa they will win most of their doubles, even if its not a great combination.

But if JNT really want to challenge CNT for gold they need to take another approach. Ito is able to compete with the CNT members, but I dont see other JNT players win more then possibly one singles game. If JNT wants to put on a fight they have to win the first doubles game! Just imagine winning the double. Ito has less pressure in her next match. Its just the other way around for the CNT first singles game player. The pressure would be quite huge. If you get behind 2-0 and play against the home crowd everything is possible.

My point is, that Ishikawa cant play doubles if JNT want to compete with CNT. And its not that her singles chances are much higher too.

If Ito / Hirano / Ishikawa play at the olympics they finish 2. or 3. 99%, but will lose to CNT. If JNT puts their main emphasis on doubles there might be a slightly higher chance of failure against teams that are not CNT, but they might have a 10% chance of beating CNT.

i totally agree with you, and I have been saying that for a while as well

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Off the World Cup, neither Ishikawa or Hirano gained on each other, even Babba tried very hard to give both equal playing opportunities. In the end, it’s a wash. Ishikawa is not a doubles player, that much is evident. But Ito really needs to be in Team Singles slot to have a plausible chance. The only option now is for Hirano to bump Ishikawa off for the Singles spot and get into Team for sure, forcing JNT to find a third player that can play doubles, and also reasonably good at Singles. Even if Hirano gets in, there are numerous hurdles in JTTA’s way to just shove Ishikawa aside.
I think they have till May 2020 to decide the third team player.
Hoping for secret weapon to step up.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Ishikawa is fantastically lucky .....
D.N. leaves Austria ...
Ishikawa - nr. 4 ....
She needs more than luck, even at nr4, China is flooding the field with players, chances of meeting one in the first round is still very high. Not to mention other Japanese players from qualifications. With great pressure on her and her impatience + CNT phobia, I don’t see her improving her Best 8 points.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
She needs more than luck, even at nr4(?), China is flooding the field with players, chances of meeting one in the first round is still very high. With great pressure on her and her impatience +CNT phobia, I don’t see her improving her Best 8 points.

I also do not see for her the opportunity to avoid 11th place in the ITTF rating for December ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
CNT playing 4d chess. They want Ishikawa to get the 2. singles spot on JNT, because they dont see her as a threat

Imaging CNT players let her go through on purpose!

This is quite possible .... Of course, CNT is interested in Ishikawa attending the Olympics ......

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
I also do not see for her the opportunity to avoid 11th place in the ITTF rating for December ...
The most important question is can Hirano out score Ishikawa in Austria, T2Singapore & WTGF, and ONLY Ishikawa. The focus is when JAN 2020 comes, would Hirano or Ishikawa has the higher Best 8 points total. Where Ishikawa stands with the rest of the world on Jan 6 is a moot point.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
The most important question is can Hirano out score Ishikawa in Austria, T2Singapore & WTGF, and ONLY Ishikawa. The focus is when JAN 2020 comes, would Hirano or Ishikawa has the higher Best 8 points total. Where Ishikawa stands with the rest of the world on Jan 6 is a moot point.

So far it looks like this: (attention! Possible errors in the preliminary calculations!)

10- Hirano 11375(11/2019) min8/1020 (-1350/900res*) = 10925 + Aus/ + T2/ + Markham + Grand...

11- Ishikawa 11805(11/2019) min8/1170 (-1260/900res,1500/900res) = 10845 + Aus/ + T2/ + Markham + Grand...

(It should be noted that the results of the Grand Final last year will necessarily be replaced by the results of the current Global Fund or, if this year the results will be small, points from the reserve ..) ...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Why the calculations for the Race to Jan 6 2020? Today it’s Hirano 10295, Ishikawa 10230 (Team World Cup didn’t do anything to affect the points), add to this Austria, T2, WTGF to see who is ahead, no subtractions/deductions needed, no reserves are valid for Jan 6 anyway.
As for Markham, I don’t think they should go, getting tired before WTGF (lots of points) is bad, and either one MUST win first place to improve their Best 8, not very likely if China is sending 12 women and there will be Hayata, Kato etc too. Ishikawa is not that good.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Please retire SENPAI
jUw47bZ.gif

Jan 2018
...My point is, that Ishikawa cant play doubles if JNT want to compete with CNT. And its not that her singles chances are much higher too.

i totally agree with you, and I have been saying that for a while as well

For future boasting, in the most remote case that it happens...

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/foru...able-tennis-championships-2018-115-21#1012801
i1Rv2a2.png

SZS079f.png

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
Well after watching Hirano vs LSW I do not see her as a threat for top chinese player. She has been dominated all the way. And I do not see her as great doubles player. Ito is much better but she has to play singles.
And I do not understand why all of you keep asking Ishikawa to retire.
In fact it is very easy, if she is just that bad JTTA should get rid of her the same they did to matsudaira and others.

Jan 2018
Ito widens the gap by 120pts after Team World Cup.

gDOlNrU.png

Gf8HZMg.png

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Well after watching Hirano vs LSW I do not see her as a threat for top chinese player. She has been dominated all the way. And I do not see her as great doubles player. Ito is much better but she has to play singles.
And I do not understand why all of you keep asking Ishikawa to retire.
In fact it is very easy, if she is just that bad JTTA should get rid of her the same they did to matsudaira and others.

How do you feel about replacing Ishikawa with Hayata?
Of course, a pair of Hirano-Hayata ....
Why is even in Austria a pair of Ishikawa-Hirano declared? Doesn’t JNT understand that this pair is unpromising?

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
How do you feel about replacing Ishikawa with Hayata?
Of course, a pair of Hirano-Hayata ....
Why is even in Austria a pair of Ishikawa-Hirano declared? Doesn’t JNT understand that this pair is unpromising?
I do not like hayata style and I do not see so much potential like others. She is working hard but the versatility and changing patterns are not her advantages.
For Ishikawa next year olympics is probably the last while hayata, Hirano and Ito are at the begining of career.
Ishikawa is not that bad in doubles she proved it pairing with yoshimura with very good results. She is just not pairing well with Hirano with all that smiles and random skills (sometimes she makes perfect shots and placement and sometimes I cannot understand how she can make do easy mistakes).
I think if they work more on doubles maybe they can find some way to overcome China but I do not think changing Ishikawa to hayata make big difference, can be their progress to the final is not guaranteed. Korea showed potential.