Japan Women's Race to Tokyo 2020 Singles

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Of course, you have the right to have an opinion, including on Hayat’s playing style ....
But have you looked at the statistics? How many Ishikawa-Hirano are already training, how many games have they played in tournaments, what are the results of these games?
If I’m not mistaken, the Hirano-Hayata couple took part in tournaments only two times ...
I don’t remember the details, but they certainly played no worse than Ishikawa-Hirano ....

As for the comparison of Ishikawa and Hirano in singles .....Of course, this is only my personal opinion, but now Hayata is not better in terms of power, but not worse than Ishikawa ...But of course Ishikawa has much more experience participating in major important tournaments ....

Nevertheless ... You yourself cite Korea, Shin Yubin as an example ....The Koreans took a chance - and it turned out very successfully ....

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Of course, you have the right to have an opinion, including on Hayat’s playing style ....
But have you looked at the statistics? How many Ishikawa-Hirano are already training, how many games have they played in tournaments, what are the results of these games?
If I’m not mistaken, the Hirano-Hayata couple took part in tournaments only two times ...
I don’t remember the details, but they certainly played no worse than Ishikawa-Hirano ....

As for the comparison of Ishikawa and Hirano in singles .....Of course, this is only my personal opinion, but now Hayata is not better in terms of power, but not worse than Ishikawa ...But of course Ishikawa has much more experience participating in major important tournaments ....

Nevertheless ... You yourself cite Korea, Shin Yubin as an example ....The Koreans took a chance - and it turned out very successfully ....

Woah, Vlad Celler is a man of few words. It's so rare to see him make a strong statement.

nkQclC6.jpg

The poll says it all. As much as I urge Ishikawa to retire, Hayata's biggest chance of making the Olympic team is as the reserve player.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCj_L155vUlT9r3u1hKE-hMw/community?lb=UgyHiX2H09GaauEYE3B4AaABCQ
NwV5Dpw.png

hoxcD3m.png

On the flip side, Hayata gets another chance to raise her kill count. :p

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
I guess with Hayata´s luck its an ok draw to get just one chinese player in the qualification. At Czech Open Lui Weishan manhandled Kato (and was 3-0 in front against Hirano), so she is no walkover by any means. I expact an close 50%-50% game

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews

Valuable points. In fact hayata had chances and still have to prove she can beat top chinese players. When it happens I will be the first one to vote for her.
Untill then I choose experience.

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
you choose experience which doesnt produce results anyway. good one

If you think that way it would be more valuable to give the young guns opportunities, so they can grow further with the helpful experiences and not use older players, which have shown that they cant get to the next level of play

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
On the Hayata issue, I actually think the best bet for Japan is to play Ito and Hayata in doubles and then give Hirano or Ishikawa or even anyone else the two singles spot. Remember, the key is to win 3 matches not to have your best player play two singles. The Ito-Hayata combo is the best bet for 3 wins. But it will not be easy to get this formation given how Japan has approached the team selection.

Jan 2018
On the Hayata issue, I actually think the best bet for Japan is to play Ito and Hayata in doubles and then give Hirano or Ishikawa or even anyone else the two singles spot. Remember, the key is to win 3 matches not to have your best player play two singles. The Ito-Hayata combo is the best bet for 3 wins. But it will not be easy to get this formation given how Japan has approached the team selection.

Theoretically, Ito and Hayata could play in both the doubles and singles, plus Hirano for another singles. Just like what CNT did in the final.

Either win 3-0 or lose 0-3. Like how Sweden did it in '89. Better than going in with a "I'll try to take 1 match" attitude.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019

I had the same thought as you, that it might be the best idea to field Ito and Hayata in doubles together. Right now with Ishikawa, Ito and Hirano its clear who is gonna play doubles and singles. With Ito, Hirano and Hayata JNT would have some flexibility and can decide the lineup based on the performance at the olympic singles and MX. For exemple if Ito will win gold and beat 2 chinese players, then field her for two singles. If she loses 0-4 without chances, then put her in doubles and hope for the best.

Jan 2018
Even after all these years, Ishikawa looked shaky in the match against Romania. I mean...

In the match against South Korea, she was absolutely useless. Even she admitted she played worse in the SF in the post-match interview after the final.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
日本で10日に行われた卓球ワールドカップ団体戦の女子決勝で、石川佳純選手、平野美宇選手、伊藤美誠選手、佐藤瞳選手の日本代表は中国に0−3で完敗して準優勝に終わり、中国が大会9連覇を果たした。中国メディア・東方網は10日、中国の専門家が「日本の弱点は石川だ」との見方を示したと報じた。

記事は、決勝第1試合のダブルスで中国の劉詩ブン(雨かんむりに文)・陳夢組が日本の石川・平野組に11−7、11−9、12−10のストレートで降し、第2試合の孫穎莎—伊藤、第3試合の劉—平野へと勢いを作ったことを紹介。その際に、中国中央テレビ(CCTV)での生中継でゲスト出演していた卓球専門家の林強氏が「現在の日本女子卓球最大の弱点は、石川。シングルスでもダブルスそうだ」と語ったことを伝えた。

そして、石川選手はペアを組んだ平野選手のスピードに完全に追い付けず、ラリーが続く中で石川選手の順番になると速度が落ちてしまい、何とかリズムを作ろうとする平野選手のミスを誘発してしまったという林氏の解説を紹介している。

林氏によれば、日本が本当に中国と対抗したいのであれば、石川選手に代えて早田ひな選手を起用し、2000年生まれの3人で臨むべきだという。

記事は、石川選手がまだ26歳であるとしたうえで「専門家から19歳の平野のスピードに明らかについて行けないという指摘が出るということは、現代の卓球が実に目まぐるしく発展しているかということの表れなのだ」と評している。
https://news.biglobe.ne.jp/international/1111/scn_191111_7243163324.html

The Japanese media is openly calling for Ishikawa’s replacement. Citing her age/stamina differential to Hirano’s, and claiming she is slowing Hirano down and upsetting the play rhythms, plus not able to keep up with speeds.
Outright, they say the three yr 2000 girls should constitute the JNT contingent, and Hayata should take the Team spot.
Quoting CNT that “Ishikawa is the weakest link...”

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
日本で10日に行われた卓球ワールドカップ団体戦の女子決勝で、石川佳純選手、平野美宇選手、伊藤美誠選手、佐藤瞳選手の日本代表は中国に0−3で完敗して準優勝に終わり、中国が大会9連覇を果たした。中国メディア・東方網は10日、中国の専門家が「日本の弱点は石川だ」との見方を示したと報じた。

記事は、決勝第1試合のダブルスで中国の劉詩ブン(雨かんむりに文)・陳夢組が日本の石川・平野組に11−7、11−9、12−10のストレートで降し、第2試合の孫穎莎—伊藤、第3試合の劉—平野へと勢いを作ったことを紹介。その際に、中国中央テレビ(CCTV)での生中継でゲスト出演していた卓球専門家の林強氏が「現在の日本女子卓球最大の弱点は、石川。シングルスでもダブルスそうだ」と語ったことを伝えた。

そして、石川選手はペアを組んだ平野選手のスピードに完全に追い付けず、ラリーが続く中で石川選手の順番になると速度が落ちてしまい、何とかリズムを作ろうとする平野選手のミスを誘発してしまったという林氏の解説を紹介している。

林氏によれば、日本が本当に中国と対抗したいのであれば、石川選手に代えて早田ひな選手を起用し、2000年生まれの3人で臨むべきだという。

記事は、石川選手がまだ26歳であるとしたうえで「専門家から19歳の平野のスピードに明らかについて行けないという指摘が出るということは、現代の卓球が実に目まぐるしく発展しているかということの表れなのだ」と評している。
https://news.biglobe.ne.jp/international/1111/scn_191111_7243163324.html

The Japanese media is openly calling for Ishikawa’s replacement. Citing her age/stamina differential to Hirano’s, and claiming she is slowing Hirano down and upsetting the play rhythms, plus not able to keep up with speeds.
Outright, they say the three yr 2000 girls should constitute the JNT contingent, and Hayata should take the Team spot.
Quoting CNT that “Ishikawa is the weakest link...”

Thank you, very interesting and important information ....
(JNT! Well, look at Korea! They were not afraid to put 15-year-old Shin Yubin for the decisive match! And that turned out to be very good! ...Why don’t you want to risk it .....)

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
Jan 2018
That piece is referring to the comment made by color commentator Lin Qiang during the final on CCTV5.

Jan 2018
With this win, Niwa is now 285 pts behind Mizutani.
If he reaches QF, the gap will be down to 60 pts only.
On top of that, there's still the MWC for Niwa.

ZTnMev5.jpg

Niwa: Goodbye fist to my sempai.
2o2mhmP.jpg
N̶i̶w̶a̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶b̶y̶ ̶2̶8̶0̶ ̶p̶t̶s̶ ̶i̶n̶s̶t̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶e̶t̶s̶ ̶p̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶C̶a̶l̶d̶e̶r̶a̶n̶o̶ ̶h̶e̶r̶e̶.̶ Pressure on Mizutani to perform in T2.

iGQdXDl.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 2018
Dfw40oH.jpg

4:8, 8:8, 8:11. Hayata started slow, looking a bit tight. When was the last time she reached the QF of a Platinum event, starting from the prelim?

2:0, 2:5, 3:5, 3:6, 4:6, 4:7, 5:7, 5:8, 6:8, 8:8, 10:8, 10:11, 11:11, 11:12, 12:12, 12:13, 13:13, 14:13, 14:14, 15:14, 15:15, 15:16, 15:17.
QTY hitting where it hurts, cutting the rally short. Hayata adapted in time and started cranking up her output, but still came up short in the endgame.

1:1, 1:5, 2:5, 3:6, 3:7, 5:7, 6:7, TO for QTY, 6:8, 10:8, 10:9, 11:9.
Hayata can't keep up in BH rallies, not in pace or quality but in placement and variation. She's reacting to QTY, not reading ahead.

2:0, 2:3, 3:3, 3:4, 4:4, 4:5, 5:5, 8:5, 8:6, 11:6.
It's clear QTY is trying to suppress Hayata's FH. QTY has some trouble receiving Hayata's hook serve. Hayata's getting around it midway thru by revving up the engine.

1:0, 1:4, 3:4, 3:7, 4:7, 4:8, 6:8, 6:9, 7:9, 7:11.
Hayata is pushing her BH timing. Errors creeping up. 2 edges for QTY.

0:3, TO for Hayata, 0:5, 3:5, 3:8, 3:9(back edge), 3:11.
Hayata's focus is gone.

Yet again, Hayata either wins or loses by taking at least 2 games. Aside from luck, she needs to work on the endgame. Ishida is to blame as well. Should've called TO in G2 when Hayata had game point.

qJq2xSt.jpg

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
In any case, Hayata fights, does not give up ....
Even if she loses, all the same, very good results lately .....

Kato rating for December 2019 - 7545

Despite the fact that Hayata had deductions of old bonuses for November 2018 were 1125 + 900 = (- 2025), she, even if she loses now, will practically maintain her November rating .....7520..

I see how Hayata is tired .... If only she had enough physical strength ..... She has enough will to win ....

This is fatigue, fatigue .... Well seen .....

Last edited:
Reactions: pongfugrasshopper
Jan 2018
After Austrian Open, Hayata's record against the CNT this year is 10W6L, the best among JNT members.

For the time being, she's moved up to 5th place, displacing Sato, but is still 25 pts behind Kato and the only event left for her and Kato is the North American Open.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2013
Read 3 reviews
I think JTTA should postpone taking decision. Seems most of japanese girls made important progress. Especially hayata. But Ishikawa did really good job against Wang Yidi (probably the winner of Austria).
The thing is who can keep top level for longer time and find the best rythem for olympics.
They could wait untill end of march which can give better rating for lower players like hayata, Kato and others. Then they should take top 3.