Japan Women's Race to Tokyo 2020 Singles

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Is the absence of Mizutani/Ito and presence of Harimoto/Nagasaki at the Japanese National Championships next January supposed to mean anything? Seems like Mizutani has withdrawn himself completely from the Men's Singles and Mixed Doubles categories, participating only in Men's Doubles with Oshima. Validity of these news to be confirmed though.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Thank you, very interesting .... And I saw the lists of participants, but I watched inattentively, I repent ......

Ito - Morizono....:(
(no Hayata...:mad:)

Last edited:
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Is the absence of Mizutani/Ito and presence of Harimoto/Nagasaki at the Japanese National Championships next January supposed to mean anything? Seems like Mizutani has withdrawn himself completely from the Men's Singles and Mixed Doubles categories, participating only in Men's Doubles with Oshima. Validity of these news to be confirmed though.

I'm surprised to see him compete in MD. He said last year he was going to retire. He's never competed in XD.

Ito started competing in XD in 2018 and has always paired with Morizono.

Hairmoto paired with Nagasaki in 2019 and Hirano in 2018.

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...-Championships&p=257122&viewfull=1#post257122
http://japantabletennis.com/zennihon2020/result

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
The draw for Tokyo 2020 will be done with separation by association. That means Ito will meet the 3rd/4th seeded CNT player 100% in the SF even if she is the 2nd seed.

The Chinese forum seems divided on this so I went to read the ITTF 2019 Handbook.

4.5.2 Events
4.5.2.1 The Olympic competition shall include at least men's singles, women's singles, men's team and women's team events.

4.5.2.2 The Team Match System in team events and the system of play in both team and individual events including any qualifying competitions shall be decided by the Board of Directors, on the recommendation of the Olympic and Paralympic Commission, and all Associations shall be notified in accordance with the schedule set by the IOC.

4.5.2.3. Players of the same Association shall be separated according to 3.6.3.1 and 3.6.3.3 only in preliminary rounds but not in further rounds.

3.6.3.1:
Nominated players and pairs of the same Association shall, as far as possible, be separated according to 3.6.3.3 and 3.6.6.4 unless otherwise stated in the specific regulations for such particular event or group of events.

3.6.3.3:
The entries ranked 1 and 2 shall be drawn into different halves and those ranked 3 and 4 into quarters other than those occupied by the first two.

3.6.3.4 Remaining entries shall be separated only in groups and in the first round of the qualification draw for knock-outs and the main draw, but not in further rounds.

Due to the equivocal way the regulations are worded, it can be understood that separation by association might not apply to the main draw simply by reading 4.5.2.3

However, 4.5.2.3 also referenced 3.6.3.3 which talks about entries ranked 1 and 2 but does this mean the top and second seeds in the main draw or simply those in the preliminary rounds?

Nonetheless even if 3.6.3.3 refers to the seeds in the main draw, there is also no guarantee that players of the same association won't meet until the finals. Let's assume (using the latest WR) CNT sends CM (WR#1 hence top seed) and ZYL (WR#5 hence third seed) and JNT sends Ito (WR#4 hence second seed). The rules merely states that seeds 3 and 4 are to be grouped in different quarters from seeds 1 and 2 so ZYL could theoretically be in the second quarter and thus same half as CM (i.e. players of same association separated but not necessarily by halves) right? The only definite way for CM and ZYL to be sorted into different halves is if they are the top two seeds. Unless it's late and my brain isn't functioning well?

Jan 2018
yuIVzVzh.png

LXJoNKj.png

icobQx6.png

0fT8Uc.jpg

Jan 2018
The Chinese forum seems divided on this so I went to read the ITTF 2019 Handbook.

[/B]

Due to the equivocal way the regulations are worded, it can be understood that separation by association might not apply to the main draw simply by reading 4.5.2.3

However, 4.5.2.3 also referenced 3.6.3.3 which talks about entries ranked 1 and 2 but does this mean the top and second seeds in the main draw or simply those in the preliminary rounds?

Nonetheless even if 3.6.3.3 refers to the seeds in the main draw, there is also no guarantee that players of the same association won't meet until the finals. Let's assume (using the latest WR) CNT sends CM (WR#1 hence top seed) and ZYL (WR#5 hence third seed) and JNT sends Ito (WR#4 hence second seed). The rules merely states that seeds 3 and 4 are to be grouped in different quarters from seeds 1 and 2 so ZYL could theoretically be in the second quarter and thus same half as CM (i.e. players of same association separated but not necessarily by halves) right? The only definite way for CM and ZYL to be sorted into different halves is if they are the top two seeds. Unless it's late and my brain isn't functioning well?

I actually wrote about it several months ago and totally forgot about it after the last update.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
This dude/dudess is so greedy. Wants Mizutani, Ishikawa and Miyazaki to retire.

http://mao.5ch.net/test/read.cgi/pingpong/1575424668/l50
37名無しQ(・∀・)ノ゜サァン!!2019/12/04(水) 17:23:50.19ID:rPfe8Z0X>>39
シングルス代表になれなければ、年末に水谷選手は引退すると思う。
大先生は若い選手や卓球業界やファンに迷惑はかけない。日本の卓球を大きくした大功労者。それが故に、尊敬されている。
ついでに石川カスミも引退してほしい。
本部長も。

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
The World (or is it ITTF) is really not making it easy for Ishikawa and Hirano. Their quarters are essentially Chinese enclaves. Ishikawa (and Hayata I guess since they are both 1/4) has it slightly easier IMO though, with only Zhang Qiang strong enough to pose a challenge. Hirano OTOH has more (albeit relatively unknown) Chinese women to deal with – Qi Fei?? Huang Fanzhen?? Zhang Binyue (if I recall correctly, she beat DN during the National Championships last year), Liu Xi (around CM/ZYL's age but has never achieved much, or anything at all) and Che Xiaoxi (probably the strongest of all the Chinese women on duty; she placed 6th during the last CTTSL?). If Hirano can wipe them all out, it will probably boost her confidence immensely (despite them being 4th/5th tier really) but if she flails... perhaps she should retire before Ishikawa-senpai.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Che Xiaoxi, if I remember correctly, lost to Mima Ito in 2015 in Bremen, Germany Open ....
In addition to Zhang Qiang, perhaps more should be noted Li Jiayi....
In general, we must wait for the quarter-finals .....
So far, with certainty we can say (my personal opinion) that Sato will reach the quarterfinals .....

In the Ishikawa-Hirano race, each of them still has a Grand Final .....

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Che Xiaoxi, if I remember correctly, lost to Mima Ito in 2015 in Bremen, Germany Open ....
In addition to Zhang Qiang, perhaps more should be noted Li Jiayi....
In general, we must wait for the quarter-finals .....
So far, with certainty we can say (my personal opinion) that Sato will reach the quarterfinals .....

In the Ishikawa-Hirano race, each of them still has a Grand Final .....
Juan Liu is a dark horse candidate to upset Sato. Remember that she is an experienced, ex-CNT player though I don't know how much practice she's had recently vs. choppers. Obviously not on the same level as Sato, but Juan Liu destroyed Angela Guan at the US Nationals last year. I think it will be interesting matchup, and I actually would pick Juan Liu to win that matchup if it happens.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Ok ... Miu Hirano overcame the first of the Chinese barriers ..
In a few hours, she and Hina Hayata will play again with Chinese women .....
(a lot of Chinese women ... so far only one has dropped out ....)

CHE Xiaoxi los...

Last edited: