Japan Women's Race to Tokyo 2020 Singles

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Korea Open, the main grid, WS ....
Miu Hirano, if she wins in the first round, will meet in the second round with Cheng Meng ... (
Cheng Meng will win the first round, I hope, ....)
Similarly, Ishikawa, if she wins the first two rounds (which is far from a fact!), In the third round a game with SYS / LSW ....
Similarly, Ito - in the third round a game with WMY....
:(

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
In the interest of our discussion in this thread, it is how soon Ishikawa goes down vis a vis Ito & Hirano, doesn’t even matter who/what she looses to.
Do not say “poor Hayata”, Hayata MUST NOT avoid the chinese, if she cannot even win over the qualifier to get into the main draw, then she has absolutely NO CHANCE against the top CNT, other then by fluke. Always seek out the chinese to do battle with, and learn in the process. January 2020 is only an artificial line, Hayata is only 18, look beyond this line and grow for the future.
Bide your time Hayata, many happy and fulfilling years ahead. Godspeed.

Heading into Korea Op, competing points Ito7605, Hirano 7435, Ishikawa 6640.
For Korea Op, each round gain is 180 pts. ie R32 540, r16 720, 1/4 final 900.
With Ishikawa's chance to play T2 Diamond, Ito is now only 965 pts ahead of Ishikawa, but WITHOUT the benefit of World Cup, where the minimum score would be 1020, 1/4 F 1275.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
In the interest of our discussion in this thread, it is how soon Ishikawa goes down vis a vis Ito & Hirano, doesn’t even matter who/what she looses to.
Do not say “poor Hayata”, Hayata MUST not avoid the chinese, if she cannot even win over the qualifier to get into the main draw, then she has absolutely NO CHANCE against the top CNT, other then by fluke. Always seek out the chinese to do battle with, and learn in the process. January 2020 is only an artificial line, Hayata is only 18, look beyond this line and grow for the future.
Bide your time Hayata, many happy and fulfilling years ahead. Godspeed.

Heading into Korea Op, competing points Ito7605, Hirano 7435, Ishikawa 6640.
each round gain is 180 pts. ie R32 540, r16 720, 1/4 final 900.

I totally agree with your opinion!
You all very clearly expressed!

(But I still feel sorry for Hina Hayata ....):eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Probably off topic, but got no place to share this, sorry.
Japan’s T League has lost ALL it’s Chinese players for the coming season. Nissay lost 2, Kinoshita 1 male 1female.

https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2019/05/29/kiji/20190529s00026000079000c.html

“母国の縛り”の存在を、相手側から明かされたそうで、「日本の強化に、目立つような形で協力はできないということでしょう」
”restraints of the mother country... cannot stand out in a prominent way to strengthen Japan”

Last edited:
Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
On 6/17/19, NHK BS1 released a hr long program on Hayata Hina, paraphrasing her graduation year book’s own quote “Loose NOT to a weak self” as title. This documented Hayata’s trials from All Japan, through her defeat and loosing the WTTC spot to Kato, her high school graduation, to the conclusion of the Oman Op.
You’ll need a Japan VPN to watch NHK, but someone saved it to a Chinese site. Don’t know how long it’ll stay up, enjoy while you can. It takes a bit to load up.
https://www.bilibili.com/video/av55928217/
[FONT=&quot]「弱い自分に負けるな 早田ひな」[/FONT]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
After Korea, counting the best 7 results(since Ito only has 7), the usable points for January 2020 are

Ito 8505, Hirano 8290, Ishikawa 7540.

The point spread between Ito-Ishikawa remains the same since both came off at QF. Ishikawa gained 1 round on Hirano by 180 pts. After Australia, we can start using best 8, plus T2 bonus pts.
Six months, 3 Platinum & 3 WT, 3 T2 bonus rounds, World Cup and ITTF GF left.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
Standings after Korean Open
ezgif.com-gif-maker.jpg
Hope the new design of the spreadsheet will make the data more presentable. Note that all players have reached the maximum 8 event limit except Ito who has 7 events. Top 8 event points for each player are highlighted in yellow. Top 2 players in standings are highlighted in green.

Looking ahead to the Australian Open:
  • The potential R16 matchup between Ito and Hirano has major Olympic qualification implications. Given that this is a Platinum event and that Ishikawa has qualified for the first T2 event, the loser of this match may be at a greater risk of losing her spot to Ishikawa.
  • JTTA drops Ishikawa/Yoshimura XD pair from the Australian open entry list. I recall that this pairing was entered to play both in Korea and Australia, so I was a bit surprised to see the pair dropped from the entry list. I'm not sure when or why the cancellation was made. It may a sign that JTTA does not really see this pairing as a viable pairing in the Olympics compared to other possible combinations (The pair did have a surprise early exit in the Korea open after all) or maybe Ishikawa and Yoshimura just wanted to focus on singles this tournament. JTTA chose to keep the Ito/Mizutani pairing though, which makes sense given they the pairing exceeded expectations in the Korean Open by defeating the Lin/Cheng pairing and giving the Xu/Liu pairing a good fight.
  • Hayata draws a Chinese opponent in qualifications yet again. At this point, it's going to be tough for Hayata to catch up in ranking in time for the Jan. 2020 cut-off date, so playing as many quality opponents as possible and doing well against these opponents is an opportunity for Hayata to build her case to be chosen as the 3rd Team member.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
Ito's Portugal Open score is 0, so I assume the Australian open will be her 8th event?

Still scratching my head over Japan's womens doubles pairings. Shibata, Nagasaki and Kihara don't really have a realistic chance at 2020 as of now

Yup, Australian Open will be Ito’s 8th event. I had to place the 0 in the spreadsheet so that the excel function highlighting the top 8 results in yellow would work. It won’t work with only 7 events inputted.

I have the same sentiments with regard to the Women’s doubles pairings. I don’t mind the Kihara/Nagasaki pairing since it’s a young pairing that has the potential to develop to be a formidable doubles pair in the future. However, I think the other doubles slot could have been used to test out a more realistic pairing for the olympics. I would have thought that JTTA would try out the Hayata/Hirano pairing or give more tournaments to Ishikawa/Hirano pair to figure things out. Given that Hayata, Hirano and Ishikawa are only playing singles in the Australian Open, I don’t think adding an extra Women’s doubles event would exhaust them too much.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Ito's Portugal Open score is 0, so I assume the Australian open will be her 8th event?

Still scratching my head over Japan's womens doubles pairings. Shibata, Nagasaki and Kihara don't really have a realistic chance at 2020 as of now
JNT hasn’t use the Ito/Hayata combo since WTTC in April. That’a a total of 5 major asiatic region tournaments, China, HK, Japan, Korea, Australia. Something’s afoot.