Japan Women's Race to Tokyo 2020 Singles

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
Not sure if this is supposed to mean anything but I read on a Chinese webpage that Hayata was not one of the 9 athletes (Ishikawa, Ito, Hirano, Sato, Shibata, Kato, Nagasaki, Kihara, Haruna Ojio) sponsored by JTTA for Bulgaria Open. While Japanese players paying for their own entries on the World Tour is not an unusual sight, the fact that Hayata is isolated from the core players seems pretty ominous for the former? Or are there some other factors here?

I think it has to do with WR more than anything. If you notice, JTTA sponsored the top 6 Japanese Women based on WR. (The number of 6 players also happens to be the supposed limit per National Association that can participate in the World Tour event, but this isn't usually enforced strictly except for some tournaments like the HK Open) The others that are sponsored are promising juniors like Kihara and Nagasaki. In the Japan Open, where the host national association's entry limit is increased to 12 players instead of 6 players, Hayata was actually sponsored by JTTA. Hayata was also sponsored in World Tour events last year when she still had a high WR of Top 20. I don't think her lack of sponsorship means anything bad for her aside from the fact that she needs to get her WR up.

Reactions: Vlad Celler
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
https://www.tokyo-sports.co.jp/sports/table-tennis/1322878/
2019/3/26
…日本卓球協会の関係者は早田の奮闘ぶりに「今、最も勢いのある選手と言っていい」と評価。劉を下したことで「中国でも研究対象になるなど、かなり警戒されているようだ」と明かした。

…またチャレンジプラスの優勝では大きくポイントを稼げず、協会関係者は「(26日開幕のワールドツアー)カタールオープンで優勝するくらいでなければ上位に食い込むのは難しい」と指した。さらに世界選手権の代表選考会では逆転負けを喫するなど「ここ一番に弱いイメージもある」ことも払拭しなければならない。
An official of the Japan Table Tennis Association evaluated Hayato's struggle as “it can be said she's the most powerful player now”. By defeating Liu, he said, “There seems to be a lot of caution, such as being a subject of research in China.”

The Challenge Plus winner won't earn a lot of points, and the association officials pointed out, "(World Tour starting on the 26th) It is difficult to get into the top unless you win the Qatar Open." In addition, it must be dispelled that “there are some weak images here” such as getting upset at the World Championship national team trial.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
https://www.dailyshincho.jp/article/2019/02030559/?all=1
2019/1/31
…「実は、強化本部は、何としても早田を選びたい。そうすれば団体戦のダブルスで勝ちが見込めますから」
…「早田の世界ランクは、日本人の10番手なんです。上位者を押しのけて選べば、当然異論が噴出する。だから、早田にはシングルスも頑張ってほしいわけです」
…「早田には、この1年はシングルスに専念して、ダブルスを休止してほしいくらい。そうすれば、中国に研究されずに済みますし」
...“Actually, the Development Headquarter wants to choose Hayata by any means. That way, we can expect to win in team doubles.”
...“Hayata's world ranking is 10th among Japanese. If you choose her over the top players, you'll naturally get an outcry. That’s why I want Hayata to work hard on singles.”
...“I would like Hayata to concentrate on singles for this year and put doubles on hold. That way, you won't get studied by China.”

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2019
Unfortunatly this article is from january. A lot could have changed since the beginning of the year. At least Hayata proved her value in doubles with the silver medal at the wttc!

Reactions: zeio
Jan 2018
Recovered this gem.

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...apan-Open-2019&p=278389&viewfull=1#post278389
SZS079f.png

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/foru...able-tennis-championships-2018-115-21#1012822
i1Rv2a2.png

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
As far as the “own expense”is concerned , this has been happening most of this year when Hayata fell in WR ranking and was relegated to the Reserves Team. JNT only funds the top 6, plus whoever JOC sends as jr potentials, anybody else can go though, on their own (thru sponsors), if the organizers lifts the 6/association rule.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
As far as the “own expense”is concerned , this has been happening most of this year when Hayata fell in WR ranking and was relegated to the Reserves Team. JNT only funds the top 6, plus whoever JOC sends as jr potentials, anybody else can go though, on their own (thru sponsors), if the organizers lifts the 6/association rule.

JNT/JTTA has an interesting obsession with world rankings, even though everyone knows it's more of a reference than anything. Not sure if funding Shibata Saki will accomplish anything, my personal opinion that is.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
R
JNT/JTTA has an interesting obsession with world rankings, even though everyone knows it's more of a reference than anything. Not sure if funding Shibata Saki will accomplish anything, my personal opinion that is.
We agree. This whole dependancy on WR to be the sole criteria will come back to haunt JTTA, as with the early Jan 2020 decision, and public announcement. It’s just too soon, too rigid, and tying their own hands. Also China still dominates and because of the transparent process, JNT becomes open to opposition’s gaming the process (not claiming China will).
Sato, Shibata and Kato all rank higher than Hayata, and yet their chances of being one of the 3 selected is minimal, given only 5 more months to catch up. And even IF, a big IF, they do, they just don’t fit in any scheme of things at all.
We are of the opinion that the ultimate opponent will be China. Then let those with higher ratio of confronting CNT have a go at them. Ito has results, Hayata has results, quite consistent too. JNT’s obstinacy is by itself a huge hurdle to their own Tokyo dreams.
Just our two cents worth ...ok 4 cents then.

Last edited:
Jan 2018
@zeio
on the french forum, someone reports that Hayata is at the Bulgarian Open at her own expense, no support from JTTA.
Any rumours that she went into trouble with her federation ?

Not that I know of for Hayata. There are, however, many gossips and rumors around Ishikawa.

Given the fact that Baba coached Hayata's matches here in Bulgaria Open(other Opens as well), I doubt they're at odds.

As far as regulations go, the national team head coach, in this case Mika Baba, is responsible for selecting players and those eligible to participate at their own expense to dispatch to international competitions, except for WTTC and Olympics, which have specific guidelines, with an appeal mechanism in place.

http://www.jtta.or.jp/Portals/0/images/association/provision/kitei2018/35_kyoukahonbu_20180926.pdf
(35) 強化本部規程
(NT監督の役割)
第8条 NT監督の役割、権限を次の通りとする。
強化本部長・JNT・HNT監督との密接なコミュニケーションの基に、以下の事項の実施を図る。
4) NTから国際大会へ派遣する選手・強化スタッフを選出、決定する。但し、世界選手権大会、オリンピックの出場選手については、別に定める手順に従う。
(35) Regulations for Development Headquarter
(Roles of NT head coach)
Article 8 The roles and authority of NT head coach are as follows.
The following items will be implemented based on close communication with the General Manager of Development Headquarters and JNT / HNT head coach.
4) Select and determine athletes / development staff to be dispatched from NT to the international competition. However, for the World Championships and Olympic athletes, follow the procedure specified separately.

(国際大会に自己負担で参加希望する選手の選考)
第30条 ITTFワールドツアー等の国際大会に自己負担で参加希望する選手の選考基準を以下の通り定める。
以下の条件を満たした選手は、NT監督の推薦を得て国際大会の出場を認めるものとする。但し、大会エントリー数の都合で人数制限をすることがある。
1) 直近の世界ランキング100位以内の者
2) 直近の全日本選手権シングルス16位以内の者
3) 直近の全日本社会人選手権シングルス8位以内の者
4) 直近の全日本大学総合(個人の部)シングルス8位以内の者
5) 直近の全日本選手権ジュニアの部シングルス4位以内の者
6) 直 近の 全日 本選 手権 カデッ トの 部 (13、14才 )シン グル ス2 位以 内の者
7) 直近のインターハイシングルス8位以内の者
8) 直近の全国中学校大会シングルス2位以内の者
9) JOCエリートアカデミーの者
10) 海外で活動中の選手はNT監督が推薦する者
11) NT選手、NT候補選手の者
12) 特にNT監督が推薦する者
(選手選考への異議申し立て)
第31条 選手選考への異議申し立てについて以下のように定める。1) 選手が第8 条 3) 4)、第11条3)5)、第29条及び第30条に基づく本会決定に対し、仲裁の申し立てを行う場合、その申し立ては、決定の日、あるいは、本会ウエブサイト掲載の日から2週間以内に日本スポーツ仲裁機構に到達しなければならない。また、本会は競技会への代表選手の選定結果について、決定当日、あるいは、本会事務局1日ないし2業務日以内に本会ウエブサイト( http://www.jtta.or.jp )に掲載する。
(Selection of players who wish to participate in international competitions at their own expense)
Article 30 The selection criteria for players who wish to participate in international tournaments such as ITTF World Tour at their own expense are as follows:
Athletes who meet the following conditions shall be allowed to participate in international competitions with the recommendation of NT head coach. However, the number of entries may be limited due to the number of entries in the tournament.
1) Those who are within the 100th in the most recent world ranking
2) Those who finishes top 16 in singles at the most recent All-Japan Championship
3) Those who finishes top 8 in singles at the most recent All-Japan National Championships
4) Those who finishes top 8 in singles at the most recent All-Japan University General (Individual Division)
5) Those who finishes top 4 in singles at the most recent All-Japan Championship Junior Division
6) Those who finishes top 2 in singles at the most recent All-Japan Championship Cadet Division (13, 14 years old)
7) Those who finishes top 8 at the most recent Inter-High Singles
8) Those who finishes top 2 at the most recent National Junior Highschool Tournament
9) Those who belong to the JOC Elite Academy
10) Players who are active oversea by recommendation of NT head coach
11) NT players and NT reserve players
12) Those especially recommended by NT head coach
(Appeals for player selection)
Article 31 Appeals for player selection are defined as follows. 1) If an athlete makes a petition for arbitration against a decision of the association under Article 8, 3) 4), 11) 3) 5), 29 and 30, it shall be on the date of the decision, or alternatively, the Japan Sports Arbitration Organization must be reached within 2 weeks from the date of posting on the association website. In addition, the association will decide on the results of the selection of representative players for the competition on the day of the decision, or posted within 1 to 2 business days on the association website (http://www.jtta.or.jp).

Last edited:
Reactions: Janard
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Not that I know of for Hayata. There are, however, many gossips and rumors around Ishikawa.

Given the fact that Baba coached Hayata's matches here in Bulgaria Open(other Opens as well), I doubt they're at odds

Haha I actually think Ishikawa did better when Qiu Jianxing coached her on court. I have never felt that Mika Baba was impressive?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019

Good news, Hayata's being sponsored by JTTA for the Swedish Open. Bad news, she's not sponsored for the German Open, so she'll have to pay her way to enter. Good luck figuring the JTTA out.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Oddly enough, the greatest benefit for Hayata ... In terms of ITTF rating ...Regardless of the results the Czech Republic Open - she place in the next ITTF ranking is about 28-30 ....
Ishikawa can stay above Ito only by a miracle .....

And of course XE and Xintong will enter the top 16 ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
I hope that Hayata will be able to get into the main draw .... The only problem is that Shin Yubin (Korea) ....