Japan Women's Race to Tokyo 2020 Singles

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Kasumin Gyudon, available at the upcoming TWC.

20191030-OHT1I50134-L.jpg

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
Jan 2018
https://hochi.news/articles/20191019-OHT1T50109.html
片道100時間かけてでも…五輪の可能性ある限り早田ひなは戦う
2019年10月19日 11時0分スポーツ報知
 卓球の20年東京五輪代表争いが終盤戦を迎えた。4月の世界選手権個人戦女子ダブルスで銀メダルに輝いた早田ひな(19)=日本生命=は苦しい立場にいる。直近のドイツ・オープン(OP)終了時点で、26位の世界ランクも五輪代表選考ポイントも6番手。厳しい状況に追い込まれているが、可能性を信じて世界を飛び回っている。

選考レースも残り3か月となった9月中旬。早田は日本から約1万8000キロ離れたパラグアイにいた。今年から新設された国際大会「チャレンジプラス」パラグアイOPに参加するためだったが、その道のりは困難を極めた。直前までTリーグの試合に出場していた甲府から、電車で成田空港に向かったものの、台風15号の影響で交通機関は大きく乱れていた。東京駅からタクシーに飛び乗ったが、通行止めなどで到着まで11時間を要し、その間に予定していたフライトも欠航となっていた。

この時点で、初戦に間に合うかも分からない状況だった。コンディションを考えればキャンセルするのも戦略の一つだろう。チャレンジプラスは優勝で獲得できる世界ランキングのポイントが1100。ワールドツアーで最も格付けの高いプラチナで4強、2番目のレギュラーで8強に相当する。大きなポイントではあるが、移動の負担やアジア選手権と日程がほぼ重なっていたことから、女子の上位5選手はエントリーしていなかった。

だが、棄権は一切考えなかった。「行って間に合わなかったら仕方ない。できることは最善を尽くしてやろうと思った」。早田の思いに応えようと、石田大輔コーチら周囲も航空券や宿泊の手配に奔走した。到着したのは当初の予定よりも2日半遅れとなった試合前日の午後。甲府を出発してから、実に100時間近くが経過していた。それでも試合に間に合ったのは、周囲のサポートのおかげだった。

時差やコンディション調整にあてる時間もなかったが、結果は見事に優勝を飾った。「これからもそういった状況があるかもしれない。環境が変わっても、いつも通りのパフォーマンスができるのが強い選手。それはアスリートとして大事なこと」。そうした意地とともに、疲労困憊(こんぱい)の体を突き動かしたのは感謝の思いだ。「本当にたくさんの方に助けてもらって、パラグアイに行くことができた。しっかり優勝して帰って来ることができて良かった」と振り返る。

卓球の世界ランクは直近1年間の上位8大会の成績を基に決まる。1つの優勝で、大きく状況が変わるわけではない。帰路も1日半をかけて日本に戻ったが、早田は息つく暇もなく、わずか数日でドイツに向かった。その後に控えるワールドツアーのスウェーデンOP、ドイツOPへの時差調整と練習のため、ドイツのナショナルチームの練習に5日間参加した。

万全の準備で臨んだ2大会はともに予選を勝ち上がったものの、本戦1回戦でスウェーデンは世界ランク9位の平野美宇(日本生命)、ドイツは13位で日本人選手に今季無敗の陳幸同(中国)と格上にフルゲームで競り負けた。「バランスのいい卓球ができるようになってきている」。内容は紙一重だと感じたが、代表選考が懸かる今は何よりも結果が欲しい時期だった。

世界最強の中国選手とも互角に渡り合えるパワーを備え、実際に今年は2月のポルトガルOPで世界女王の劉詩ブン(中国)を破るなど、対中国選手に6勝5敗で勝ち越している。誰もが認める爆発力を秘めながら、結果が出ないことへのもどかしさ、そしてその要因も痛感している。

「世界ランクが上の選手と対戦した時に(ゲームカウント)3―3の最後、勝ちきる力がまだ足りない。そこが私が世界ランク上位にいけない理由でもあると思うので、そこをしっかり勝ちきることがすごく大事になる。我慢だったり、あとちょっとのところがもやもやしてるかなって感じです。殻を破るまで、あと少しだと思うんですけど…」

今年3月の世界選手権日本代表最終選考会。加藤美優(日本ペイントホールディングス)との準決勝の最終ゲーム、10―5とマッチポイントを握りながら逆転負けを喫した。シングルスでの代表入りを逃したことは、選考レースに大きく影響した。この2大会でも「あと1点」「あと一歩」に涙をのんだが、闘志は消えていない。

大会後、ドイツからすぐにポーランドに飛んだ。チャレンジプラスよりも格付けの低いチャレンジ大会に出場し、今月末には同じ格付けのセルビアOPにもエントリーした。経験と成長を求めると同時に、優勝でも850ポイントと獲得ポイントは高くはないが、現在の世界ランクの底上げにはつながる。

東京五輪のシングルス代表は20年1月の世界ランク上位2人が内定する。該当するポイントは伊藤、平野、石川佳純(全農)の3人が大きく抜け出している状況だ。団体戦要員の3人目は代表2人とのダブルスの相性などを考慮して強化本部で推薦されるが、五輪の団体戦のシード順に影響するシングルスの世界ランクで上位にいることは欠かせない条件となる。

「この2大会もシングルスで1回戦負け。五輪は本当に厳しい。可能性は結構なくなってきてはいるんですけど、たくさんの方にサポートしていただいて、応援してもらっている。それに向けて、どんな結果であっても最後までしっかり頑張ろうと思ってます」

早田は伊藤とのペアで17年世界選手権銅、19年銀メダルなどダブルスに定評があるが、シングルスの世界ランクは10月時点で26位だ。11月のW杯団体戦は代表を外れ、ポイントがボーナスで上積みできるT2ダイヤモンドの出場権も逃した。現状の立ち位置は極めて厳しいことは自覚しているが、諦めるつもりはない。片道100時間をかけてたどり着いたパラグアイで再確認した「感謝」と「諦めない心」を胸に19歳は最後まで戦い続ける。(五輪卓球担当・林 直史)
Hina Hayata Fights as Long as the Possibility of Olympics Is There...Even If It Takes 100 Hours One Way

The table tennis race for Tokyo 2020 is coming to the final stage. Hina Hayata (19), who won the silver medal in WD at the WTTC in April, is in a difficult position. After the recently concluded German Open, she is ranked 26th in the world and 6th in terms of selection points. Despite being driven into a difficult situation, she is flying around the world still believing in the possibility.

It was mid-September, with 3 months left of the selection race. Hayata was in Paraguay, about 18,000 kilometers away from Japan. This was to participate in the newly established international tournament “Challenge Plus” Paraguay Open, but the path was extremely difficult. From Kofu, where she had played in T-League games just before, she headed to Narita Airport by train, which was greatly disturbed by the influence of Typhoon # 15. She jumped on a taxi from Tokyo Station, but it took 11 hours to arrive due to traffic closure, etc., and the scheduled flight was canceled.

At this point, she wasn't sure if she could make it in time for the first match. If you think about the condition, it may make strategic sense to cancel. Challenge Plus has 1100 points in the world ranking that can be earned by winning, comparable to the [quarterfinal] of the highest-tier World Tour Platinum, or the [semifinal] of the World Tour. Despite the big points, the top 5 women's players did not enter because the schedule almost overlapped with the ATTC.

However, she did not consider withdrawing. “If you don’t get there in time, you can't help it. I wanted to do everything within my power." Daisuke Ishida and other coaches tried to arrange flight tickets and accommodations to meet Hayata's wishes. She arrived in the afternoon of the day before the match, 2 and a half days later than originally scheduled. Nearly 100 hours have passed since she left Kofu. Still, it was thanks to the support of the people around that she made it in time for the match.

Although there was no time to adjust for the time difference and condition, the result was a great victory. "There may be such a situation in the future. Even if the environment changes, a strong player can perform as usual. That is important as an athlete." With this willpower, I feel grateful to have moved my fatigued body. “I was able to go to Paraguay with the help of a lot of people."

The world ranking of table tennis is determined based on the top 8 results of the tournaments over the past year. A win won't change the situation. Taking over a day and a half to return to Japan, Hayata had no time to catch a breath and headed for Germany after just a few days. After that, she participated in the practice of the German national team for 5 days to adjust for the time difference for the Swedish Open and German Open.

Although winning both qualifications of the 2 tournaments that she fully prepared for, she lost in the first round of main draw in Sweden to Miu Hirano (Nippon Life), who is ranked 9th in the world and CXT (China), who is unbeaten against Japanese players this season, after a 7-gamer. “Balanced table tennis is now possible.” I felt that the content was a single piece of paper, but now it was time to get results more than anything else, as the selection of representatives took place.

With the power to cross swords with the world's strongest Chinese players, in fact, she defeated World Champion LSW (China) at the Portugal Open in February this year, with 6 wins and 5 losses against Chinese players. While having the explosive power that everyone recognizes, the frustration of not producing results and the cause pain her.

“When I play against a player with a higher world ranking, the power to win at the end of 3-3(game count) is still not enough. I think that's why I can't get higher in the world, so it's very important to win well. I feel as if I'm patient, or a little bit hungry. I think it's a little more until I break the shell..."

At the final selection trial for the WTTC in March this year, in the final game of the semi-final with Miyu Kato (Nippon Paint Holdings), she lost the match while holding match point at 10-5. Missing out on the singles greatly affected the selection race. In these 2 tournaments, she still shed tears on "1 more point" and "1 more step", but the fighting spirit has not disappeared.

After the tournament, she flew to Poland from Germany immediately to participate in a Challenge tournament with a lower rating than the Challenge Plus. Seeking experience and growth at the same time, the 850 points for winning are not as high, but they will lead to raising the current world ranking.

The singles representatives of the Tokyo Olympics will be decided by the top 2 world ranked players in January, 2020. Given the points now, they will emerge among the 3 people as Ito, Hirano, and Ishikawa (Zennoh). The third player for team is recommended by the headquarters in consideration of the compatibility in doubles with the 2 representatives, but it is indispensable to be ranked higher in the world ranking as it affects the seeding of the team event.

“I lost in the first round of main draw in the singles of these 2 tournaments. The Olympics are really tough. The possibilities are pretty much gone, but I have the support of many people. Regardless of the result, I will do my best until the very end."

Hayata has a reputation for doubles such as the bronze for WTTC 2017 and silver for 2019 pairing with Ito, but her singles world ranking is 26th as of October. In November, the Team World Cup is out of her reach and she missed the eligibility to play T2 diamonds, where points can be added as bonuses. Aware that her current position is extremely difficult, she does not intend to give up. The 19-year-old continues to fight to the end with "gratitude" and "never give up", reinforced after Paraguay, which takes 100 hours one way. (In charge of Olympic table tennis, Naofumi Hayashi)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Thank you, Zeyo ... Hina Hayata announced this interview on Facebook yesterday .... I did not manage to find him today .... Thank you!

Jan 2018
Belarus Open
Hayata vs Shi Xunyao
0:3, 7:3, 7:4, 9:4, 9:11. Roller-coaster ride. TF?

It appears Hayata doesn't rely as much on overpowering but more on placement here. She has a new serve motion that doesn't seem to work.

1:3, 7:3, 7:6, 8:6, 8:8, 11:8.

Ishida is getting more vocal here.

Hayata has adjusted her stance again.

luA8xSA.jpg

1:3, 3:3, 3:5, 5:5, 7:7, 8:8, 11:8.

SXY has trouble keeping up with Hayata's speed. Either player loses tons of points on service. LOL.

2:2, 5:2, 5:5, 6:6, 7:6, 11:6,

Hayata gets the upper hand in rallies. Shi Xunyao opts for BH serve. Either player still loses tons of points when serving. Both players are off here.

2:2, 4:2, TO for SXY, 10:2, 10:5, TO for Hayata, 10:6, 11:6.

Hayata has cut down on her misses by holding back. Good yet not good.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vlad Celler
Jan 2018
Both Hayata and Hashimoto look tired.

Jan 2018
Hayata vs FSQ
6:6, 6:10, 8:11. Hayata missed many popups on her serves.
2:2, 2:4, 3:4, 3:5, 4:5, 4:6, 6:6, 6:8, 7:8, 7:9, 9:9, 11:9, Hayata stepped up on her service just in time. FSQ played passive in the endgame.
4:1, 4:4, 5:4, 5:5, 6:5, 6:6, 7:6, many FH winners from Hayata, 8:6, 8:8, 10:8, Hayata on top of rallies, 11:8.
3:1, FSQ has trouble receiving Hayata's hook serve, 5:1, 5:3, 9:3, 9:5, 11:5. FSQ can't keep up in rallies.
1:3, 3:3, 3:5, 5:5, Hayata keeps switching her serves, 5:7, 6:7, FSQ is eating so many serves, 6:8, 7:8, 7:9, 7:11.
3:1, 3:3, 4:3, 4:4, 6:4, TO for FSQ, 6:6, 7:6, 7:7, 7:8, 8:8, 9:8, 9:9, TO for Hayata, 9:10, 10:10, 10:11, FSQ's tomahawk serve, 11:11, Hayata's hook serve, 12:11, Hayata dribbled FSQ's tomahawk, 13:11.

5th title to Hayata's name in 2019!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Perhaps the key game ..... If the seventh will be, I do not know ....:(

Timeout ... Only luck is needed here ...

Last edited:
Jan 2018
Very close indeed. The odds would've been against Hayata.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
From the Team World Cup Prospectus:

"Change of the composition of a team may be accepted if notified by arepresentative of the nominating Association to the Competition Manager, up tothe time of 4 November 12:00 (local time); no further changes will be acceptedafter this deadline."

Come on JTTA, you still have time to add Hayata as the 5th team member!