Japan Women's Race to Tokyo 2020 Singles

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
JNT Player Stats 2019
Ito - serve-n-attack, the shorter the point, the higher the threat/risk
Hirano - reckless speedy exchanges, took everyone by surprise, too fast for her own good
Hayata - best of both worlds, powerful rallies and agile footwork a big plus
Ishikawa - jack of all trades, master of none, AKA "Please Retire"

Ta da!

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
.....JNT Player Stats 2019
Ito - serve-n-attack, the shorter the point, the higher the threat/risk
Hirano - reckless speedy exchanges, took everyone by surprise, too fast for her own good
Hayata - best of both worlds, powerful rallies and agile footwork a big plus
Ishikawa - jack of all trades, master of none, AKA "Please Retire"

amazing ! :eek:

(Damn it ... Well, I just feel sorry for her to tears ......God ... If you really exist ... Well, why did you give Ishikawa second place ?!)

Last edited:
Jan 2018
Final update.

NZR0ITZ.png

qbGjUwl.png

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
2020/1

C.M. 16265
SUN Yingsha 15460
ITO Mima 14720
L.S.W. 14445
WANG Manyu 14130
Z.Y.L. 12990
D.N. 12670
F.T. 11100
ISHIKAWA Kasumi 10950
CHENG I-Ching 10915
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
11- HIRANO Miu 10815
12- CHEN Xingtong 10325
13- Yidi 9910
17-SATO Hitomi 8550
18-HE Zhuojia 8480
19-SZOCS Bernadet 7910
20-SOLJA Petrissia 7885
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
21-DIAZ Adriana 7820
22-KATO Miyu 7585
23-HAYATA Hina 7520

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Hirano is really following the footsteps of her idol LSW. I still remember how LSW's speed was a double-edged sword sometimes. Maybe 10 years down the road, Hirano will win the WTTC Women's Singles if she continues mimicking.

Also, I was curious how far along did T2 interfere with the WR so I deducted all these bonuses (using Vlad's calculations):

Chen Meng 15055-15265
Liu Shiwen 14445
Sun Yingsha 13960
Mima Ito 13520
Wang Manyu 12630-12840
Zhu Yuling 11590
Ding Ning 11470
Feng Tianwei 10200
Kasumi Ishikawa 10150
Cheng I-Ching 10115
Miu Hirano 10015
Chen Xingtong 9825
Wang Yidi 9510
He Zhuojia 9355

LSW is probably the biggest victim of T2 then it seems, dropping to 4th in January with Ito before her. If CNT does intend to field the two Singles from among the trio of CM, SYS and LSW, the former two will likely be picked to avoid the possibility of being drawn into the same half now that separation by association is not guaranteed.

Jan 2018
I suddenly think about a butterfly effect: Wang Chuqin threw his racket which caused Mizutani to lose his Olympic single spot. Understand the connection? LOL

Racketgate? Austriagate? OTHgate?

Ishikawa and Niwa should be grateful to Miyasaki, who is a technical consultant of the T2 in charge of all the rules and proposed the 24-minute rule and 1 serve per turn etc.

pongfugrasshopper will be glad to find out there's at least 1 blogger from Japan who agrees with him. This entry was back in September.

http://blog.livedoor.jp/nt_tabletennisclub/archives/53801299.html
ITTF世界ランキングシステムには不公平な要素があります。
(1)世界選手権に出場した選手は次の世界選手権があるまで、1年間を過ぎても世界選手権の獲得ポイントを維持できる。
(2)T2ダイヤモンドに出場した選手はその獲得ポイントが8試合分の獲得ポイントにさらに加算される。

このような不公平な要素があるITTF世界ランキングをオリンピックの選考基準に取り入れるのはどうなのでしょうかね?
疑問を持つ方は多いのではないでしょうか?そうかといって、日本卓球協会の強化本部が独断で代表を決めるのも問題ですしねー!
The ITTF world ranking system has unfair elements.
(1) A player who participated in the World Championship can maintain the World Championship points even after one year until the next World Championship.
(2) Players who participated in T2 diamonds will receive additional points for the 8 games.

How do you incorporate ITTF world rankings with such unfair elements into the Olympic selection criteria?
There are many people who have doubts. That said, it is also a problem that the development headquarters of the Japan Table Tennis Association decides the representative on its own!

----------------
After missing out in the singles, in an interview, Mizutani expresses that the decision of representatives is "unrelated to my efforts."

https://www.daily.co.jp/general/2019/12/14/0012959187.shtml
08年北京五輪から4大会連続でのシングルス切符を逃した水谷は「元々大会前から厳しい状況だったので、気持ちの整理はついている。(代表レースが)終わったなという感じ。全く後悔はない」と、やり切ったという表情で結果を受け止めた。ただ、実力だけでなく“不運”によって代表を逃した側面もあり、「自分の努力と関係ないところで(代表が)決まったのは…。受け入れるしかないですけど、そこの悔しさはちょっとありますね」と無念の思いも口にした。
 最終的な2人のポイント差が「375点」だっただけに、少なくとも第2戦で水谷が最少でも得られたはずの「400点」があれば立場は逆転していた。水谷はこの1年で落ち込んだタイミングとして「T2(第2戦)がなくなったときですかね。そこでかなり心が折れたと思う」と告白。「(出場するだけで得られた)400点があれば今回(五輪に)自分が出られていたし、前回のT2(第3戦)でも丹羽が(繰り上げで)出られたことで逆転もあると。自分の努力と関係ないところで決まったのは悔しさがちょっとある」と話した。

結果論とはいえ、し烈な代表争いは“コート外”で決着がついたとも言える。選手たちは1年間心身を削って代表争いをしていただけに、今となっては後味の悪い出来事だった。
Mizutani, who missed the singles ticket for four consecutive tournaments from the 2008 Beijing Olympics, said, “Because it was a tough situation before the tournament, the feelings have been organized. "I accepted the result with the expression that I had done it." However, there was an aspect that missed the representative not only by ability but also by “bad luck”, “The thing that was not related to my efforts (the representative) was decided ... I have to accept it, but there is a little regret there” He also expressed his remorse.
Since the final point difference between the two was “375 points”, the position was reversed if there was at least “400 points” that should have been obtained at least in the second game. Mizutani confessed that the timing of the fall in the past year was “When the T2 (Round 2) was gone? “If you have 400 points (obtained just by entering the race), you have been present this time (in the Olympics), and there is a reversal in the previous T2 (Round 3) because Niwa was (in advance). “It ’s a bit of regret that I ’ve decided that it has nothing to do with my efforts.”

Although it is a result theory, it can be said that the fierce representative battle was settled “out of the court”. The players had a bad aftertaste now, as the players struggled for a year to fight for representation.

---------------------
Select comments for that news:

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/cm/main?d=20191214-00000043-dal-spo
なんたら協会と付く団体は選手の事を考えてない。
完全に不公平になっている。
公平にするためのポイント制が不公平を産んでいる。
それを協会側は考慮しないと駄目な機関でしょ?
せめて2位と3位で直接対決させて決めてもよかったのでは?水谷選手は恐らく今回の五輪がラストチャンスと思って望んでいると思う。
出れなくて400ポイント貰えず、繰り上げで出れて500ポイント貰ったら900ポイントの得だからな。
The association and the association are not thinking about players.
It is completely unfair.
The point system for fairness is causing unfairness.
Isn't that an organization that has to be considered by the association?
Was it okay to make a direct confrontation between 2nd and 3rd? I think Mizutani thinks that this Olympics is the last chance and hopes.
I couldn't get 400 points because I couldn't get out.

そんなことを言い出したら女子の石川選手だってT2第1戦は出場資格が無かったのに中国選手が多数欠場して繰り上がり出場して400ポイントを獲得。結局この得点が大きかったのは男子と同じ事。
バドミントンと違って五輪選手選考は日本卓球協会が決めるのだから初めからT2ポイントを除外すべきだった。ただでさえランキング下位の選手はツアー参戦数が限られた上にT2ポイントまで加算されたら初めから出来合いレースのようなものだ。
When I said that, even though Ishikawa was a female player who was not qualified for the first round of T2, a lot of Chinese players missed out and got 400 points. In the end, this score was the same as for boys.
Unlike badminton, the selection of the Olympics was decided by the Japan Table Tennis Association, so T2 points should have been excluded from the beginning. Even the low ranking players are like a ready race from the beginning if the number of tours is limited and T2 points are added.

基本的には12月の段階で丹羽孝希が言っていた「身体がボロボロの状態」というような表現にこの日本の選考システムに問題があると言える。日本の選手はほぼ1年中ツアーで世界を回ってきた。対して中国トップ選手は適当に2軍選手が代わりに出ることにより結果として休養をとる形になっている。
だが中国選手でさえ今や今大会も馬龍、丁寧、劉詩文に脚や腰の故障が明らかで許シンも張本戦で手首を痛めていた。
明らかに選手は過酷な練習の中で十分なケアが必要な証拠だ。
日本の平野や石川も直前までノースアメリカンからトンボ返りの過密な日程だ。
ちなみに中国の選手の選考方法はランキングによらないと言われているが具体的にはどのように行われているのか詳細を知りたい。
このランキングによる選考は石川平野のわずか135ポイント差ということが問題を提起している。3人目の選考方法も疑問。
数千ポイントも差がある選手を選ぶことは妥当か?
Basically, it can be said that there is a problem with this Japanese selection system in terms of the expression “the body is tattered” that Takaki Niwa said in December. Japanese players have traveled around the world almost all year round. On the other hand, the top players in China are in the form of taking rest as a result of the appropriate replacement of two military players.
However, even Chinese players now have a leg and waist breakdown in Ma Ryu, polite, and Liu poetry, and Huh Shin has been hurting his wrist in the game.
Clearly, this is evidence that players need to be well cared for in harsh practice.
The plains and Ishikawa in Japan are just overcrowded with the return of dragonflies from North American.
By the way, it is said that the selection method of Chinese players is not based on ranking, but I want to know the details of how it is done.
The selection by this ranking raises the problem that only 135 points are different from the Ishikawa Plain. Also question the selection method of the third person.
Is it appropriate to choose players with a difference of thousands of points?

そもそもT2ポイントは五輪選考ポイントからは外して計算しないと、出れない選手と
出れる選手でポイントが違ってくるわけだから世界ランキングに反映されるのは仕方ないにしても、五輪選考とは分けるべきだったと思う。だから
1月の世界ランキングの中の日本人選手上位2名が選出されるという日本卓球協会の決め方がおかしい。自分も最初からこのポイント加算は一部の選手に有利になったり不利になったりするポイントなのではと思っていた。
However, the doubles on the left and left of Niwa and Mizutani were so bad that they hurt their heads.
I didn't have a left-and-right combination so far,
I do n’t think it ’s going to be a level. After Rio, the relationship between Niwa Mizutani has a variety of backgrounds, and it would be quite awkward to join a doubles group.
However, if you exclude Mizutani in the team battle, you will be overtaken by Germany in the team rank,
The draw will be greatly affected. It is very troubled with it.

卓球の世界ランキングのシステムの計算方法は、純粋な実力を表すものではない。特に昨年初めに導入された今の計算方法では、その傾向が強まり、誰と対戦したかなどに関係のない、最近のツアー順位だけで決まるようなものになっている。つまり運の要素に強く影響される。にもかかわらず、なぜそれ代表選考基準にするのか全くわからない。

例えば、過去の世界ランキングシステムの計算方法から参加加点やボーナス加点を除き、勝敗だけで計算するポイントだけを使うなどとすれば、運に関係のない実力を評価することはできるはず。

協会としては世界ランキングにまるなげすれば批判をかわせると考えたのかと感じてしまう。不公平感をなくすためだけでなく、本当にオリンピックで勝てる選手を選ぶために、協会はもっと考えて欲しい。
The calculation method of the table tennis world ranking system does not represent pure ability. In particular, the current calculation method introduced at the beginning of last year has become more prominent and is determined only by the recent tour ranking, regardless of who you have played against. In other words, it is strongly influenced by the element of luck. Nonetheless, I don't know why it is going to be a selection criterion.

For example, if you remove only participation points and bonus points from the calculation method of the world ranking system in the past, and use only points that are calculated only by winning and losing, you should be able to evaluate your ability unrelated to luck.

It seems that the association thought that criticism would be caused if it was put in the world ranking. I want the association to think more about not only to get rid of injustice, but also to choose the players who can really win the Olympics.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
I don’t think it is CNT’s intention. After all, they can still withdraw WCQ from T2 for whatever reason to let Niwa enter T2. No need to suspend WCQ for 3 months.

What I found interesting is that since WCQ threw his racket, he got punished by CNT and withdrew from T2 Singapore. This led to Niwa as a replacement for T2 Singapore which would gain Niwa at least 400 points (eventually he got 500 points).

Now looking back at the final WR, Mizutani would have been ahead of Niwa if Niwa didn’t enter T2 Singapore. So that’s something purely luck.

Racketgate? Austriagate? OTHgate

Jan 2018
The thing is whenever T2 is involved, CNT's action/reaction/decision has always influenced the JNT's selection race in some form or way.

The reason Ishikawa and Kato made the T2 Malaysia was because of the Chinese National Championships. Keep in mind ML and LSW told the media that they needed the T2 points for the Olympics.

T2 Haikou was cancelled because they couldn't "get the necessary permit" after ML/FZD lost to LYJ and ZYL won in T2 Malaysia. Around the same time, QZJ and LS told the media they were very unhappy about the T2 for "kidnapping" their players.

But in the end, China sent all "eligible players" to T2 Singapore...

Last edited:
Jan 2018
Sour grapes. Koki Niwa had to beat the same Hugo Calderano that Muzutani couldn't beat as part of his effort.

Your argument would sound way more persuasive had Niwa beaten Calderano in Austrian Open.

Even Niwa said he was lucky.

https://www.daily.co.jp/general/2019/12/03/0012927735.shtml
「11月は最低限の結果を出せた。(繰り上がり出場など)ラッキーも重なったので素直にうれしいとは言えないですけど、2枠に入るチャンスをつくれたのはうれしい」と安堵(あんど)感をのぞかせた。
"I was able to get a minimum result in November. (Reserve player, etc.) Luck also overlapped, so I can't say I'm honestly happy, but I'm happy to have a chance to get into the 2 slots."

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Your argument would sound way more persuasive had Niwa beaten Calderano in Austrian Open.

Even Niwa said he was lucky.

https://www.daily.co.jp/general/2019/12/03/0012927735.shtml

"I was able to get a minimum result in November. (Reserve player, etc.) Luck also overlapped, so I can't say I'm honestly happy, but I'm happy to have a chance to get into the 2 slots."

Of course Niwa was lucky. But Mizutani never played a schedule that showed desperation.

Jan 2018
Mizutani: I hate table tennis.

https://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/201912130000776.html
水谷隼「卓球を嫌いに」目の衰えから失われた闘争心
[2019年12月13日21時7分]
3年半前とはほど遠い。「自分がとにかく衰えている。試合をやってて『こんなのをミスるんだ』とか思う。どうしても過去の良かった自分と比べ、自分が自分じゃないみたい」。

水谷を苦しめたのはボールが見えにくいという目の状態だった。コートを取り囲むLED看板や、観客席が暗転する中、卓球台だけに当たる強い光が影響し、2年前から思うようにボールを視認することができなくなった。今もそれは変わらない。

その影響から選手として重要な闘争心も失われた。「勝利への執念。そういうものが昔に比べて欠如している。アスリートとして身を引くタイミングなのかな…」と力なく言った。

「今までになく卓球を嫌いになった。卓球をしている時が何よりもつらかった。9割方、目が理由。半年ぐらい休みたい」と選考レースを終え、弱音ばかりが口をついた。

しかし、水谷は世界ランキングで日本人3位。団体戦要員の3人目に選ばれる可能性は高い。東京五輪で新種目となる混合ダブルスでは、伊藤美誠とのコンビが調子良く、金メダルも狙える位置にいる。

「闘争心を取り戻さないと絶対に五輪でいいプレーができない。いろんなベテラン選手に意見を聞こうと思う。何とか選ばれたら、このまま終わりたくない」
Far from 3.5 years ago. “I'm just declining. I'm playing a game where I think I'm going to make a mistake. I just don't seem to be myself compared to my good past."

What plagued Mizutani was the condition that the ball was difficult to see. While the LED signboard surrounding the court and the spectator seats were darkened, the strong light hitting only the table tennis table was affected, making it impossible to see the ball as expected two years ago. It remains the same now.

As a result, the important fighting spirit as a player was lost. “I'm obsessed with victory. That kind of thing is lacking compared to the past. Is it time to pull out as an athlete?” He said without power.

“I hate table tennis like never before. It is harder than anything when playing table tennis. 90% is because of my eyes. I would like to rest for about half a year.”

However, Mizutani is Japan's 3rd in the world ranking. There is a high probability of being chosen as the 3rd member for the team battle. In the mixed doubles that will be the new event at the Tokyo Olympics, the combination with Mima Ito is in good condition and the gold medal is also in a position to be aimed at.

“If you don't regain your fighting spirit, you can't play well at the Olympics. I'm going to ask various veteran players to give their opinions."

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
The thing is whenever T2 is involved, CNT's action/reaction/decision has always influenced the JNT's selection race in some form or way.

The reason Ishikawa and Kato made the T2 Malaysia was because of the Chinese National Championships. Keep in mind ML and LSW told the media that they needed the T2 points for the Olympics.

T2 Haikou was cancelled because they couldn't "get the necessary permit" after ML/FZD lost to LYJ and ZYL won in T2 Malaysia. Around the same time, QZJ and LS told the media they were very unhappy about the T2 for "kidnapping" their players.

But in the end, China sent all "eligible players" to T2 Singapore...

20191021-EC-02The Executive Committee decided that there should be 2 (two) representatives of the AthletesCommission in the World Ranking Working Group.

7.11 T2 Diamond updateThe CEO updated the EC on the T2 Diamond situation and reported that several complaints havebeen received from the players and National Associations in regard to the overall situation,especially, the WR points allocation and the last-minute cancellation of the 2nd event.The EC was informed about the renegotiation of the terms and conditions and the signing of anaddendum between ITTF and Seamaster. The CEO and the President mentioned it was not agood situation for the ITTF and puts us in some financial difficulties but that we had tried ourbest to mitigate the negative affect.It was agreed that the current position of Special Advisor to the President occupied by Mr FrankJi, shall be reconsidered and further discussed.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019

中国とほぼ僅差に
just a narrow margin between Japan and China

他の国とかなり離してます
much further away from other countries (in terms of abilities)

対中国しか考えていない
Only thinking about the line-up against China

overly optimistic if you ask me...
but interesting to see what they are taking into account (even the Hayata-Ito pair)
although it's a little hard to take them seriously when they mention possibly including Sato
I wonder how much of it is just PR when the team lineup has already been decided

I'd imagine the best line-up for Japan to beat China would be Ito-Hayata-Sato
Although impossible under the current circumstances

Japanese men's team is in the same position Singapore women's team was in 2012
desperately trying to hold onto a number 2 team world ranking.
Seems like the chances for Mizutani being chosen are higher than the chances of Hirano being chosen
since the later can be left out without affecting Japan's team world ranking

Why the rush to confirm everything on 6th January? The Shibata-Hirano doubles mystery thickens. Some mind-boggling decisions made by JNT.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
By the way, a couple of Sato-Hayata played, and played well ....
And we are waiting for the Japanese team to Germany Platinium ... Who will be announced in WD and XD .....

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi