Japan Women's Race to Tokyo 2020 Singles

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
С.I.C. - Oman cfellend+.......

Yes .. It looks like we will be witnessing a fierce battle between F.T., C.I.C. and Ishikawa...

Last edited:
Reactions: zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Stirmate Kato just won't give up...

YSMQ59J.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
I must admit that Ishikawa has certain chances - to become No. 8 in the July ITTF rating ....
F.T. it is unlikely to be able to seriously hinder her, but C.I.C. - maybe ....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
С.I.C. - Oman cfellend+.......

Yes .. It looks like we will be witnessing a fierce battle between F.T., C.I.C. and Ishikawa...

Ishikawa makes a calculation of his best starting opportunities in March ....
Indeed, when calculating the April ITTF rating:

1 - direct deductions of old bonuses for March 2019
2 - replacement of the previous results of WTTTC-2018 with the results of WTTTC-2020 (22-29 / 3-2020)

compare:

F.T. (-1125/3-2019) , (-1750/wtttc-2018)
ISHIKAWA (-1750/wtttc-2018)
CHENG I-Ching (-2250/wtttc)

But this is only an April rating ... Next is May, June, July .....

Jan 2018
I don't think it has anything to do with giving up, she is now playing a B team schedule with the Hashimotos of the team.

That's what I thought, until I compared with what she did last year. It tells me she still wants to compete for the reserve player.

Kato and Morita(who beat Hayata in the T.League) were the only JNT players who signed up for Spanish Open(Challenge) last year. Her other teammates all signed up for Oman Open(Challenge Plus), which was the natural choice since it was next to Qatar.

In the end, Kato won and got 850 pts, comparable to making the final at Oman Open. At best, she could've ended up making SF, or 715 pts, like with Hirano and Sato had she chosen Oman Open instead. A difference of 135 pts might not seem much, until you see that's the gap b/w Ishikawa and Hirano at the end of the race. What if Hirano played Spanish Open instead?

Her teammates know better this year, with many signing up for Polish Open instead of Oman Open.

NZR0ITZ.png

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
(curious ... paid attention - there are those who signed up for Poland and Oman at the same time!)

(It will be interesting to see the April rating ... especially if WTTTC is not canceled ....there will be noticeable changes in the TOP-30 ranking ...)

Last edited:
Jan 2018
Yes, they're all keeping a close watch here.

In essence, there are 3 tiers of contest going on here - Olympic seeding, reserve player, and WTTC 2021.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
That's what I thought, until I compared with what she did last year. It tells me she still wants to compete for the reserve player.

But surely JNT/JTTA will not consider her even if she does rise to become the fourth highest-ranked Japanese woman? I mean, her key issue is the lack of synergy with Ishikawa, Ito, Hirano and even Hayata for doubles.

2017 - World Tour, Swedish Open, Stockholm (SWE) - 1/8F with NAGASAKI Miyu2017 - Challenge, Polish Open, Warsaw (POL) - 2nd with MAEDA Miyu
2017 - World Tour, Austrian Open, Linz (AUT) - 1/2F with NAGASAKI Miyu
2017 - Challenge, Belarus Open, Minsk (BLR) - 1st with MORIZONO Misaki

Singles wise, she hasn't shown to be particularly effective against any player outside of the association (unless you count the T2 match against CM as one). Her other outstanding wins against players who are likely to be at the Olympics are Cheng I-Ching, Minnie Soo and Shin Yubin. Hmm?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
The order may have been muddied for awhile, but given recent developments it's clear that JNT's current hierarchy is as follows:

1. Ito
2. Ishikawa
3. Hirano
4. Hayata
5. Sato
6. Kato

In 2019, Kato was still able to squeeze herself into JNT's top 5. Right now she's clearly on the outside of that. Of course she's going to do whatever she can to get back in, no matter the odds.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
My opinion is that Hayata is no worse than Ishikawa ....
Kato - In the March ITTF ranking, she will bypass Hayata ... But it’s hard to say what happens next ...

Last edited:
Jan 2018
But surely JNT/JTTA will not consider her even if she does rise to become the fourth highest-ranked Japanese woman? I mean, her key issue is the lack of synergy with Ishikawa, Ito, Hirano and even Hayata for doubles.

Singles wise, she hasn't shown to be particularly effective against any player outside of the association (unless you count the T2 match against CM as one). Her other outstanding wins against players who are likely to be at the Olympics are Cheng I-Ching, Minnie Soo and Shin Yubin. Hmm?

Took me a good while to dig up past articles.

Yes, she has no chance if they go by the book.

http://www.jtta.or.jp/Portals/0/images/player/selection/2018/20180922_2020oiympic_tokyo.pdf
4.リザーブ候補選手1名
日本がメダルを獲得するために必要なダブルス及びシングルスでの国際競争力を持ち合わせている者1名を、強化本部が決定し理事会に報告及びJOCに推薦する。リザーブ選手の発表時期はJOCへのエントリー期限直前とする。

But if we look back, then things are not as cut and dry, despite similar wording in past selection criteria. When Murakami was still in charge, he went by world ranking for London 2012 and Rio 2016.

London 2012

https://web.archive.org/web/2011041...r.jp/topics/2011/12londonolympicselection.pdf
3.リザーブ選手(1名)の選出方法
(1)強化本部推薦(1 名)
次の 3 点を勘案し強化本部が決定する。
イ、 国際競争力の実績と評価。
ロ、 国際競争力向上への高い潜在性があると思われる選手。
ハ、 日本がメダルを獲得するために必要な国際競争力を、シングルス・ダブルス共に持ち合わせている者

http://world-tt.com/ps_info/ps_report_detail.php?bn=1&pg=HEAD&page=BACK&rpcdno=746#746
[女子]福原愛・石川佳純・平野早矢香(アジア大陸予選出場)
リザーブ:藤井寛子

Rio 2016

https://web.archive.org/web/2015022...a.or.jp/topics/2016/16rioolympicselection.pdf
3.リザーブ選手(1名)の選出方法
(1)強化本部推薦(1名)
次の2点を勘案し、強化本部が決定する。
イ、国際競争力の実績と評価
ロ、日本がメダルを獲得するために必要な国際競争力を持ち合わせている者

https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/fo...o-2020-Singles&p=294352&viewfull=1#post294352
From the selections for Rio, Murakami explicitly told the media that the 3rd spot would be decided by world ranking. For the men's team, it would be decided by development headquarter, and in the end they went by world ranking.

5 Mizutani
12 Niwa
18 M. Yoshimura
22 Oshima

5 Ishikawa
6 Fukuhara
10 Ito
17 Hirano

Therefore, for Sato, Hayata and Kato, it's in their best interest to push their ranking as high as possible, especially in Hayata's case, as it'd justify and reinforce the selection criteria by the development headquarter.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
So far, Hina Hayata unwittingly gives them a small head start ....Due to Portugal Open and Hungary Open ....
It is interesting that Hayata did not declare participation in Oman plus .....
Although Hayata was announced in WTTTC-2020, it is unlikely that she will play more than one or two games .....And, accordingly, will not score points to the rating ....In any case, in the April ranking, she will not come out of the third ten ...

Last edited:
Jan 2018
Remember the Japanese blogger kittyoyaji that I quoted last year? In her recent entries, she shows her anger over Hayata's injury.

http://kittyoyaji.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-1503.html
早田ひな 35 限界突破
早田ひなはなぜ毎年自分だけが故障するのかを深く考えるべき
Hayata should think deeply why only her breaks down every year

http://kittyoyaji.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-1497.html
早田ひな 34 やはり故障
全日本直前の限界を外した練習を
美談扱いした記事もあったけれど
結局は故障した
半年前から気づいてもらえればと
注意喚起したが 実らず
早田ひなと石田大輔コーチは状況判断が致命的に甘い
同じ誤りを繰りかえすなら
今後の選手人生で文字通り致命傷になるだろう
twitterのRTが気づきになれば
Practice without limit just before All-Japan
Some articles were treated as good stories
But ultimately broke down
If only they noticed 6 months ago
Gave heads-up but to no avail
Hayata and coach Ishida's judgment of the situation is fatally loose
If you repeat the same mistake
Will literally be fatal to the future of career
If you noticed the retweets

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Xiaona Shan has had her fans erupt in joy as she beat Japan’s Hitomi Sato in straight games (11-5, 11-9, 11-1, 11-5) in a quite extraordinary performance by the German. Needing less than 34 minutes, her backhand strokes were too good for Sato and take Shan to the quarter-finals.
unnamed.jpg Miyu+Kato+New+Table+Tennis+T+League+Press+2QQSwjlNRO7l.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
I will never forget the gaming moment when Shan Xiaona played with Mima Ito in 2015 at Germany Open, in Bremen ....She came to herself for a very long time .... I even thought that she had a strong desire - to pull Mima Ito by the hair ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4HGmrO-iyU

(It’s a pity, the recording is short ... two minutes or even three passed before Xiaona came to her senses ...)

(Shan Xiaona could well win this tournament ...)

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi