Hugo Calderano two hands on the backhand

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2016
Read 1 reviews
I've also been giving this some thought. Without actually trying it myself - my theory is that it gives a wider range of swing for your backhand.

Imagine the ball is coming fairly wide to your backhand and you are at least 2 metres from the table. Usually, you can't swing with a one-handed backhanded and generated much power. You'd probably fish. If you want to generate power you really need to be behind the ball so you can hit the ball in front of you.

I think, with a two-handed backhand, you can probably generate more power from that position without having to move behind the ball.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Its definitely safer. My rotator cuff hurts when i do a big backhand swing

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Reactions: chikuy
My guess would be that, while the one handed backhand is a bigger stroke. The two handed backhand gives you more bang for your buck on shorter, more compact strokes.

So he's happy to counterloop from the backhand when he has time, but when he doesn't he can generate slightly more power with 2 hands off the shorter stroke when just "rescuing" the ball

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I can not imagine he does this to benefit anything from it. I also find it interesting that you are discussing it. Think it is more fun or a reflex from when just playing around.

Reactions: Metaxa and chikuy
says Hi TT Comunity!
Hey Anjooo i have a new brand R47 rubber that i haven't unbox it yet, can you tell me your experience in that rubber please

I've also been giving this some thought. Without actually trying it myself - my theory is that it gives a wider range of swing for your backhand.

Imagine the ball is coming fairly wide to your backhand and you are at least 2 metres from the table. Usually, you can't swing with a one-handed backhanded and generated much power. You'd probably fish. If you want to generate power you really need to be behind the ball so you can hit the ball in front of you.

I think, with a two-handed backhand, you can probably generate more power from that position without having to move behind the ball.

Lula, Just wanted to see all different opinions about it because that hit from Calderano is out of the box, a friend of mine said the following. Calderano does it in some cases to have more balance , but i wasn't convinced at all.

Or he was each time to late for a hand-switch-move...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
it makes sense in tennis because you need a lot more strength.
in table tennis with the strength of calderano and the tiny ball it's nonsense.....that's why nobody copied it.

anyway, the french "simon gauzy" also makes the same shot sometimes.
they are like twins.
same blade, same club, same shot technique, used to have same sponsor (cornilleau)....

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Read 1 reviews
My guess would be that, while the one handed backhand is a bigger stroke. The two handed backhand gives you more bang for your buck on shorter, more compact strokes.

I agree. It's probably easier to use for a more compact stroke (as he did against Harimoto in Korea).
I also think it's a better solution to use the two handed backhand (or switch hands) when the ball comes wide to the backhand side, maybe easier than using the regular backhand to be offensive.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2016
Read 1 reviews
Hey Anjooo i have a new brand R47 rubber that i haven't unbox it yet, can you tell me your experience in that rubber please

Probably not the right thread to reply but I really like it. I used Rasant previously so R47 is obviously just a slight step up in terms of speed and spin. Although, to be honest I haven't really noticed much of a difference between Rasant and Rasanter. It might be that I can't get full use out of the improvements because my level isn't high enough to fully appreciate it. It's fast, it's bouncy, and it's spinny - everything you need out of a tensor rubber. I use it on both my FH and BH and I prefer looping to hitting.

says Hi TT Comunity!
Thanks Anjooo jejejeje i took this time to talk about a different subjet, and i appriciated it! Thanks for your explanation!

Probably not the right thread to reply but I really like it. I used Rasant previously so R47 is obviously just a slight step up in terms of speed and spin. Although, to be honest I haven't really noticed much of a difference between Rasant and Rasanter. It might be that I can't get full use out of the improvements because my level isn't high enough to fully appreciate it. It's fast, it's bouncy, and it's spinny - everything you need out of a tensor rubber. I use it on both my FH and BH and I prefer looping to hitting.