Table Tennis Analogies.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
So I thought I'd start a thread about analogies used to explain why we find our sport more competitive than any sport out there.

The best ones I've used personally are more directed towards Americans, but still could work if you changed the format a little.

Table Tennis is the most competitive sport because each rally and point won is like having a Quarterback throw a ball through 5 opponents hands only to have it caught by your team mate.

It's like shooting a penalty kick against a goalie and scoring with the goal only being 5 foot wide; it's that much harder to score, but if you do it's that much more satisfying.

It's like sacrificing a rook and a queen for check mate 7 moves later.

We calculate to the millimeter every time we hit the ball. If we hit the ball at just 1 degree off it could send the ball long or into the net. If we are standing just an inch too far to the left we could lose the point. It's just that much more satisfying than the margin for error in other sports.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
Hey guys some great TT terms, but I meant more in regards to explaining to someone who isn't familiar with Table Tennis. Like here is what the scenario would be like. A person who plays another sport and knows you fairly well as a friend or acquaintance would ask you what's so exciting about table tennis. So in reference you use the sport they train in and try to explain to them so that they can relate with how you feel about it.

Then you give them a paddle and start getting them to play, but doing some really tricky shots so that they'll kind of understand that there is a much higher dynamic in shots than what he is used to seeing.