Leaked Photos: New rubber colours on blades!

What do you think of having different rubber colours?

• I'm 100% all for this!

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • I'm in the middle, not to sure

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • No

Votes: 40 69.0%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
If these are the new colours I am sticking with a red rubber! How many people are bothered by the red rubber anyway? I don't particularly like red so I always stick the red rubber on my backhand - the result it is that I never see it while I play! Plus black rubbers tend to be harder in general and better suited for forehand where you naturally have more power.

NDH

says Spin to win!
If these are the new colours I am sticking with a red rubber! How many people are bothered by the red rubber anyway? I don't particularly like red so I always stick the red rubber on my backhand - the result it is that I never see it while I play! Plus black rubbers tend to be harder in general and better suited for forehand where you naturally have more power.

The whole "black rubber is harder than red rubber" is a myth outside of the Chinese rubbers.

From experience of Butterfly and Tibhar, the red and black rubbers perform identical.

This user has no status.
The whole "black rubber is harder than red rubber" is a myth outside of the Chinese rubbers.

From experience of Butterfly and Tibhar, the red and black rubbers perform identical.

I would generally agree with you but it varies from brand to brand and model to model even. For example, I used to play with Acuda S2 for a while on both sides of the blade and the red rubber definitely felt softer and mushier. I am pretty happy with the EL-S rubbers I use now and agree with you that there isn't a difference with that model.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
I would generally agree with you but it varies from brand to brand and model to model even. For example, I used to play with Acuda S2 for a while on both sides of the blade and the red rubber definitely felt softer and mushier. I am pretty happy with the EL-S rubbers I use now and agree with you that there isn't a difference with that model.

That's, like, sample of one. Could be just variance among batches. We need way more data to make a claim that 'red is softer than black' etc.

Reactions: Suga D and Cornel
This user has no status.
That's, like, sample of one. Could be just variance among batches. We need way more data to make a claim that 'red is softer than black' etc.

I was just giving an example. I have had similar experiences with other rubbers/brands. And at the end of the day it is just my opinion and feel free to disagree. Does every opinion/personal experience have to be scientifically backed up to proof its validity?

NDH

says Spin to win!

All I can go on is 20 years of experience playing with various rubbers.

Outside of the typical Chinese rubbers, I've never noticed a meaningful difference between red and black.

It's a question that gets asked a lot, and false information gets thrown around a lot, because all the Pro's seem to play with black on their forehand (in general).

But for the vast majority of people who use non Chinese rubbers, there simply won't be a difference between red and black.

All I can go on is 20 years of experience playing with various rubbers.

Outside of the typical Chinese rubbers, I've never noticed a meaningful difference between red and black.

It's a question that gets asked a lot, and false information gets thrown around a lot, because all the Pro's seem to play with black on their forehand (in general).

But for the vast majority of people who use non Chinese rubbers, there simply won't be a difference between red and black.

Well, I'm very orthodoxy guy fixed to science, but I have to admit that TherE Is a Difference

NDH

says Spin to win!
Well, I'm very orthodoxy guy fixed to science, but I have to admit that TherE Is a Difference

I'm sure people feel there are, and I'm sure that on occasions there will be (due to the natural process of how it's made).

But to say "X is harder than Y" or "Y is spinnier than X", based on the word of an unknown internet forum user, who no one has ever seen play..... is a bit too much of a stretch.

I'll happily believe it when a scientific study is put forward - Until then, it's all unconfirmed opinion.

This user has no status.
Well, it may be just my reluctance to changes, who knows, but those colours don't look good to me. Anyway, don't think it is a significant difference, in 5 days everyone would get used to the variety.

What I don't understand is the fuss and the necessity of this change, because the potential benefits are insignificant, while there are obvious and significant possible problems for the customers and table tennis shops - like and a potential rise in prices for the end customers and stock issues for the resellers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Well, it may be just my reluctance to changes, who knows, but those colours don't look good to me. Anyway, don't think it is a significant difference, in 5 days everyone would get used to the variety.

What I don't understand is the fuss and the necessity of this change, because the potential benefits are insignificant, while there are obvious and significant possible problems for the customers and table tennis shops - like and a potential rise in prices for the end customers and stock issues for the resellers.

What might happen is certain brands will try to differentiate themselves by cornering certain colors: e.g. all Rasants are now green, Bluefires blue, Rozena is pink, Joola Golden Tango, well, gold etc. This might reduce stock issues. May be...