A little step up

says Thanks for the suggestion Splasher! I was going to try...
Apr 2019
Hello
I recently started playing TT more seriously and after using other equipment I switched to a stiga all round classic with 729 fx 1.5 on both sides to work on technique. It’s working.
Love how I can feel where exactly on the blade I hit the ball, I can really go for big movements and learn them, and I make less mistakes as the setup is very slow. Another pro is that the setup is really light I guess.
I’m not sure I love the Stiga handle but the issue is another..
I got huge benefits from this setup, but it might have run its course.
I get a bit sad when I hit really well, spin the ball well, use 90 percent of my max power, but a decent player can return my shot. While I see people at my level but with faster setups doing little movements and producing faster balls.
Max control and min speed is what I wanted but I feel it might be time to step up a gear.
I tried a proper fast racket with tensor rubber and absolutely no way I want to use something catapulty and with high throw. I would just land 1 shot every 10.

An option would be to change rubbers, but I don’t want that as I want to keep my trusted current setup as I might be wrong changing too soon.

I was looking at a new blade and rubbers and wondering about the YEO with some slow classic rubbers (sriver, Mark V for example) as I know for sure I still need a control setup with forgiving rubber.

Could be nice to put 2 different rubbers on FH and BH to feel the difference.
Right now my game is very aggressive (to some degree, I prefer to lose a match and be aggressive rather than more safely push way to victory) close(mostly)-mid distance, good, safe very aggressive BH where I can play a variety of spins, angles, chops and currently is my faster shot.
Here I feel my current setup works great, lack of speed aside.
My FH not as good, it’s flatter than I would like, spin on FH still an issue for me so I need a setup that works even if I hit flat or with a weak spin, but I’m working on the spin.

My ignorantly put together setup right now would be YEO with 2.0 markV FH and Sriver BH.

Please tell me that I’m wasting time and money by going for a setup that is too different from my current, of feel free to tease me with new ideas.
Thanks!!

Reactions: GusShnaps
This user has no status.
If your remove carefully the old rubberss, store them proper and replace them with faster (MarkV as you proposed is a good upgrade) then you can easily do the same and put back on the old rubbers if the new setup doesn't be as good as you expect. Note that you need to give time to yourself to understand, get used and utilize the new setup. It is not "advised" to change both rubbers and wood at the same time as the time you need to get used of the new bat even more.

Reactions: Andre74
This user has no status.
1.5mm is really thin for a sponge. Why not try max?

Going to an OFF rated blade might be too big of a jump in speed and stiffness. I wouldn’t go faster than OFF-

Personally I have always been against the “Classic rubbers” (Mark V and Striver). Why pay $30 for rubber that was designed in the 70s and doesn’t perform (spin) as well as an $8 Chinese rubber?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Apr 2019
The YEO, from what I can gather from reviews, should be more a —OFF- than OFF, maybe I got it wrong, but that was the reason I picked it, I was looking for an all wood OFF- with good reputation for control and affordable price.

Maybe the max version of my current rubber is the way to go, cheap and can’t be too different.. I am really scared by modern rubbers as with the ones I tried I could do amazing blocks that were surprising everyone including myself, but the other shots were a disaster. That’s why I was thinking the classic ones would be a bit faster and lively than my current but also safe, consistent and somehow forgiving.

Reactions: thekleifheit13
This user has no status.
I prefer max. I used to use the Allround Classic with Palio CJ8000 max, and that was a decent setup.

729 FX is tacky right? Maybe use non-tacky rubber for backhand. I have Palio AK-47 Blue as a backhand rubber on my spare paddle and I like it.

I wouldn’t go faster than an ALL+ blade. Yasaka Sweden Extra or Xiom Allround would make sense.

Easiest and safest choice is to just replace your rubber with a thicker (max) sponge. (Eacheng.net and Ali Express have great prices).

Reactions: Andre74
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
I tried Allround Classic with Hurricane (currently H3 Neo 2.1mm) on one side and Mantra M (1.9mm) on the other, a setup recommended by EmRatThich. It's actually a very enjoyable setup. The Mantra is supposed to be BH but lately I'm twiddling and playing the H3 on BH a lot. You can really whip the ball and get these low nasty loops, I have no problem with speed. The H3 is great for short touches, especially on BH. Recommended. Only thing is, the H3 Neo smells strongly of some chemical. I'll try H8 when the H3 wears out which supposedly smells less.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I tried Allround Classic with Hurricane (currently H3 Neo 2.1mm) on one side and Mantra M (1.9mm) on the other, a setup recommended by EmRatThich. It's actually a very enjoyable setup. The Mantra is supposed to be BH but lately I'm twiddling and playing the H3 on BH a lot. You can really whip the ball and get these low nasty loops, I have no problem with speed. The H3 is great for short touches, especially on BH. Recommended. Only thing is, the H3 Neo smells strongly of some chemical. I'll try H8 when the H3 wears out which supposedly smells less.

I just recently replaced my sheet of commercial H3 Neo with Yinhe Jupiter II (38 degree hardness). It’s easier to use, cheaper, better quality, and less smelly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
I just recently replaced my sheet of commercial H3 Neo with Yinhe Jupiter II (38 degree hardness). It’s easier to use, cheaper, better quality, and less smelly.

What a coincidence, I just ordered a bunch of these :) ... I got both 38 and the slightly harder version (40?). Is the 38 similar or softer than the H3 Neo?

This user has no status.
What a coincidence, I just ordered a bunch of these :) ... I got both 38 and the slightly harder version (40?). Is the 38 similar or softer than the H3 Neo?

The most common hardness for H3 Neo is 39 degrees. They also make 41 and 42 degrees. (There might be a 38 degree version, but if there is I don’t know where to find it). There are soft non-Neo versions.

That one degree difference in softness between my Jupiter sheet (38) and old H3 Neo sheet (39) has actually made it significantly easier for me to play with. The top sheet differences might be a factor too.

Overall I think that Jupiter II is just a better rubber than H3 Neo if you aren’t going to boost.

Last edited:
I moved to Jupiter 2 back end of last season on my e3/e4 blades and I found it better (for me). It was between my Tibhar Aurus Sound (faster) and Gewo Nexxus 38 (Slower) in terms of speed (J2 slightly too quick on the e4, but just right on the e3), but comparable to Nexxus 38 in terms of spin.

I bought it based on these reviews.... :)

https://www.ttequipment.co.uk/product/yinhe-jupiter-2-rubber/#reviews

Last edited:
Apr 2019
I had the chance to try the rubber (a worn out version I was told), I liked it so I got a pair of MarkV HPS 2mm (normal, not soft) on a Yasaka Sweden Extra and I’m pleased. Took me no time to adapt, right now the only thing I need to get used to is the extra weight as Stiga allround with 1.5 729 was really light.
MarkV makes some people of this forum cringe but it does seem to be a very safe and controlled rubber, I though the HPS was going to be a bit more modern and faster but it’s not really, probably faster than the old MarkV but still slow and not bouncy, very good for my skills level. I don’t see the MarkV HPS (non soft) mentioned much on forums, maybe it’s generally considered overpriced for what it is but from what I can tell, works very well for a heavy handed developing player like myself. And the YSE feels to me just like the Stiga but with a lot less vibrations. I’ll stay on this setup until the setup is worn out now and just play TT!
Happy weekend everyone