Joo Se Hyuk rubber change

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀
Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Joo Se Hyuk defeated Zhang Jike 4-0 at the Hungarian Open 2012. A reporter from the ITTF asked Joo what had caused Joo to win. Joo replied, “I beat Zhang Jike in 2009 in the quarter-finals of the China Open. I felt he was not totally motivated, I have changed the rubber on my racket; perhaps that caused him problems.”

The ITTF commentator for the Joo Se Hyuk vs Adrian Crisan match said Joo had changed his backhand rubber.

Does anyone know what rubber Joo Se Hyuk is now using? Its interesting to see that Joo changed his backhand chopping rubber.. Any have some print screens or photos of new rubber?

Here is Joo Se Hyuk vs Zhang Jike

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
Sir Leatherback (Alex Melnik) from OOAKForum said that the photograph/highlight of the rubber during both Joo's match against Jike and Crisan suggests that the sponge on his rubber is light yellow.
This could be (as far as I know) :
(still) The infamous Tibhar Grass D.Tecs
(back to old days) Old TSP Curl p1r
(or the cheap) Dawei 388D-1 (sponge photographed brightly thus the sponge looks bright yellow)

The forehand is still a Tenergy series.

says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
Maybe it just works for him because opponents aren't familiar with it. I can't imagine he played for so many years with a rubber that isn't the best for him.

You know, many pros doesn't care about equipment as long as it works.. Like J-O for example, there are probably many setups that would fit him better, but he likes the one he has and sticks with it. Maybe its the same case for Joo? ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
We can't say this was because of ZJK, while that might have been part of it, look at the finals match against Ma Long. Joo SHOULD have won that.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011
We can't say this was because of ZJK, while that might have been part of it, look at the finals match against Ma Long. Joo SHOULD have won that.

of course we can :D watch the double finale. chen qi/ma lin didnt played well in this tournement. zahng jike/xu xin could easily beat them. but zhang couldnt play. and ma long played 70% most of the time. all chinese were very tired, i think. you saw it in their faces and movements

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
I think Joo has gone back to p1r...he didnt challenge the chinese much with dtecs, but when with p1r, he gave them a lot of trouble- the characteristics seem very p1rish too...

EDIT: in context of the match, i think even if zhang had been playing normally, joo would still have won- he was on fire at the weekend, as we saw against ma long
interestingly though, crisan did surprisingly well vs joo- perhaps because he had just played chen so was in defender mode lol :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Joo may have won the match, but I think it would also have been close. I don't think if ZJK was at 100% he would have lost 0-4, maybe in the 7th, but it could go any way.

Those are my thoughts too- still, kudos to joo he did really well- i think zhang tried quite hard to win the first set, but joo was on another level and zhang realised this and perhaps decided it would be better to rest his injury/illness rather than go all out, lose and then aggravate it anyway
Will be interesting to see how Joo does in Slovenia- are the japanese playing?
and to go back to the main topic, any news on this changed rubber?