Blade Flex Question

Question:

When considering the flex of a blade, should swing speed be considered? I ask this for a few reasons.

1) I play with a Xiom Offensive S and I switched to the Allround S one night and I couldn't control it. I was throwing everything long and I wondered if it was flexing too much.
2) When I check out reviews for blades, I notice that a lot of the blades pro supposedly use are more stiff than what I normally play with (Offensive S and TSPW). Especially Stiga blades. Is this because of swing speed?
3) When I bought my first set of golf clubs, I was encouraged to buy stiff shafts because of my swing speed. Regular shafts had too much flex so it messed up my shots. I was wondering if the same effect could be seen in table tennis (I do understand there is much more flex in a golf club because the swing speed and length of the shaft is greater than a TT blade.)

So based on these observations, my question is, if you have a faster arm swing, can you handle a stiffer blade when playing a topspin game? Should arm speed have any impact on blades I choose to buy (let it be noted that I love playing with the Offensive S. Has everything I want).

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
All a matter of personal preference. IMO if you have the consistency and swing speed, there is no reason why you can't play a topspin game with very stiff blades. Most pros go that route.

There is a lot of misconceptions about flex being good/forgiving for looping. For me, too much flex just means less linear response and more uncertainties.

If you want a rough positioning, Butterfly Viscaria-like blades are by far the most popular for high-level loopers. Those have a "4th node frequency" median at ~1500hz. Your Offensive S is ~1300. This is not widely accepted yet, but higher correlates with stiffer.

Last edited:
Reactions: jus10savestheday
This user has no status.
I think that most people need a certain amount of dwell time for looping. Otherwise everyone would be using a super stiff blade like the Butterfly Schlager Carbon instead of the Viscaria.

Or maybe the SC doesn’t provide enough feedback. (I couldn’t loop well with it when I borrowed one from a friend. But that’s not saying much... LoL)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Dwell time is an illusion. The flex and/or cavitation from impact gives the impression of "dwell" but infact the contact time is so low it doesn't make a difference. What affects a good loop is the angle and direction of contact and racket speed at the time of contact. By the time you feel it, it already happened.

But yes, I agree with the feedback aspect. As a blade gets stiffer, the minutiae of impact sensations are felt less. I think 1500 is about the upper end of "adequate" feedback, any more and the blade will feel dull. I like my blades in the low-mid 1400s. It's not only stiffness that affects "feel" however, materials and construction, handle size and shape etc all make a difference...but that's topic for another discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: whocarez