Apolonia ZLC or Viscaria?

Hi,
I currently play with Long 3, which is an all wood blade, but want to try carbon. Butterfly handles fit my hand very well, so I've been looking at 2 blades, Apolonia ZLC and Viscaria. Thoughts and recommendations?

Apolonia is similar to Innerforce Layer, and everyone knows Viscaria. I think I prefer ZLC to ALC, and wanted a more woody feel, but Viscaria is good as well.

Just wanted to bet some opinions, especially on Apolonia.

Thx.

says STAX X9000 is the BEST!
IMHO Innerforce is closer to the "wood feel", but it's less linear, which is not minus or plus, it's just characteristic... Viscaria is a bit faster compared to Apolonia. Apolonia is noticiably have more vibrations compared to Viscaria... Overall both blades are great, but have very different feeling, IMO Apolonia is more suited for "allround" play, it's have more "feeling", it's easier to drasstically change gears with it, Viscaria is more suited to "all attack" game, it's easier to play loop to loop with more and more speed, power and spin... But still just an IMHO, I owned Apolonia in the past, played with it about a year, changed it on Mizutani ZLC, but this monster is too much for me, so now I swithed to Tibhar Cedric Nuytinck, BTW I recommend you to concider this blade, IMO it's great, it's kinda like slowed Mizutani, very good control and feeling, so far I'm just love it, actually already ordered one more piece of this blade, for backup and some experiments with rubbers...

This user has no status.
A heavyAF innerfoce ALC is arguable one of the best balanced blades possible. Mine is 97g and same speed as my friends 85g ZJK ALC but better feeling. Less stable because of the increased gears but honestly fantastic.
If you cant choose weight go viscaria
Not a big fan of ZLC it makes my best shots better but my mediocre shots worse, the extra snap makes bad pushes higher and slightly slapped shots zing off the end. Better feeling than ALC though and the great shots are amazing. But I prefer that 60-70% of my shots are improved by the alc by 10-20% than 20-30% of my shots are improved 50% (figures are imaginary )

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Make cue cards. One says each of these:

Apolonia
Viscaria
Ovtcharov No 1
W968 (or ML5)

Put the cue cards on a dart board. The first one you hit is the one to buy.

Both of the ones you asked about and other 2 that were so far suggested would be excellent choices. Any of them. Heck, if you want, and money is not an object, you could buy all 4.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
You could ask the retailer/seller if he has a HL5 around 90 grams, it's not an unusual weight. HL5 are most often between 88-92.

Not a big fan of the handle on Long 5 or 3.
Also, Long 5 is heavier, around 95g. I am trying to go no more than 90. Plus I like butterfly handles.

says STAX X9000 is the BEST!
Plus I like butterfly handles.
Hmmmm, this I don't get, they are very different, good example is Apolonia which have very thin handle, I like that, but I know many people who don't, some of them played with Apolonia and had to use grip tape to make handle comfortable for them... Mizutani has a great handle though, I don't know anyone who don't like it... Innerforce ALC handle is kinda normal... so, IMO the different models of Butterfly blades has very different handles... BTW handle of my Tibhar Cedric Nuytinck blade was not very comfortable for me at first, because it's more "square" shape, than Mizutani, which have more "round" shape, but it was only for 2-3 days, then I used to it and now like the handle of Nuytinck blade very much.
Also, Long 5 is heavier, around 95g. I am trying to go no more than 90.
My two Apolonia was about 87-90 each (if I remember correctly), my two Mizutani ZLC was about 83-85 each (if I remember correctly)... And my Tibhar Cedric Nuytinck is 85.0 gramms exactly.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
You could ask the retailer/seller if he has a HL5 around 90 grams, it's not an unusual weight. HL5 are most often between 88-92.

Yeah, this is true. I just bought a HL5x, and it's 89g.
This new version has a thicker FL handle and thicker core for more power. It also has thinner top plies to keep the weight similar to regular HL5.

Apparently, ML5's handle is a big issue. Most questions regarding HL5x was about its handle size.
I'm glad DHS is listening to customer feedback and making HL5x's handle more comfortable.

Reactions: RidTheKid