Hard rubber on allwood blade

This user has no status.
Right now I have a setup with Xiom Vega Asia Max thickness (medium rubber hardness) on both FH and BH. However, I feel I lack power, that is, both speed and sppin.
My question then is, should I get harder rubbers (with the harder rubber on FH)? My blade is the Xiom Allround S, an allwood blade with a lot of control, feel and dwell time.

Should I for example invest in a Stiga Mantra H (FH, black) and Yasaka Rakza 7 (BH, red)? Or do you have any advice?

As of now I can hit max strength and have a ball lacking both spin, speed and the 'kick effect' from the ball landing on the table.

This user has no status.
Not sure what level your technique is at but...

I'd probably switch to a faster blade. (Xiom Offensive S)

If you don't go that route then maybe one of the more modern tensor rubbers would have better speed/spin compared to Vega Asia. ( Omega VII Pro, Bluestorm Z1, Rhyzer 48, Ransanter 47, Dignics 05, Nexxus EL 48 etc...).

(Maybe softer on backhand? Depends on your stroke and style).

Last edited:
Reactions: jus10savestheday
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Like above, it depends on what level you are and what level you are playing against.
Your setup can be played to a very high level. An even harder rubber may be even more difficult to access the high gears if you do not compress the sponge enough.

A faster blade is definitely an easier fix. Have a look at the Xiom range if you like their feeling.

Reactions: Simas
This user has no status.
My forehand is consistent enough that I can do a full swing with full power but lacking speed and spin. I'd rather get a faster rubber before changing the blade (both budget wise and also because I love the feeling of the blade).
My backhand is spinny and fast when I go for a power-shot. but it is not consistent.

Right now I would consider myself a developing player approaching intermediate level. I play the best players in my club and I really struggle to keep the pressure on them. however my blocks are superb against them.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
My forehand is consistent enough that I can do a full swing with full power but lacking speed and spin. I'd rather get a faster rubber before changing the blade (both budget wise and also because I love the feeling of the blade).
My backhand is spinny and fast when I go for a power-shot. but it is not consistent.

Right now I would consider myself a developing player approaching intermediate level. I play the best players in my club and I really struggle to keep the pressure on them. however my blocks are superb against them.

from what you wrote it seems your setup is ok and you should improve your technique further...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Vega Asia is actually on the faster side. Try to add bigger swings to your arsenal, if necessary, change the blade first.

If you play with a full swing, it would be better to keep to the Asia line of Xiom.
Vega Asia is fast enough and the DF is very spinny. Which version you have - Vega Asia or Vega Asia DF?
Have long have you played with it? These rubbers start to lose spin and speed after 4-6 months of play depending on the intensity.
My advice is to change the blade first. Xiom Offensive S, Xiom Solo or Xiom Feel S7.
With Vega Asia DF they will give you more than enough speed and spin.
The next step would be a composite blade with Xiom Omega V Asia, followed by Xiom Omega 7 Asia.
With all these rubbers you will keep your affinity to the full swing and get more and more power and spin.
Its my roadmap advice.