1.9 or max on forehand!!

Here the same. I’m playing many years with 1.9 Rasant and now two years with Hype XT 40-1.9.
Maybe I will try now Rasanter R42-2.0 (2.0, didn’t try it since many years) for next season but I’m also in the running for a Nexxus EL 43-1.9 (again)FH rubber.
Also my BH is since many years 1.9.
Indeed, combination from bigger control, less speed and less bounce is much easier to play for me.
When I was much younger I played with 2.1 but in that time I was faster than my own shadow. [emoji23]

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Reactions: MOG
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Maybe I will try now Rasanter R42-2.0 (2.0, didn’t try it since many years) for next season but I’m also in the running for a Nexxus EL 43-1.9 (again)FH rubber.

And maybe your Rasanter will be equally thick as the Nexxus at 1,95 mm, so unless you very carefully measure (before purchase, in packaging, bit difficult) all the difference might just be in your head.

There is a reason why some companies are selling 1,7/1,9/2,1 and elsewhere it´s 1,8/2,0/2,2 - the lines are blurry.

And maybe your Rasanter will be equally thick as the Nexxus at 1,95 mm, so unless you very carefully measure (before purchase, in packaging, bit difficult) all the difference might just be in your head.

There is a reason why some companies are selling 1,7/1,9/2,1 and elsewhere it´s 1,8/2,0/2,2 - the lines are blurry.

Thanks for your advice/warning!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2019
Read 4 reviews
Sry, but I don't get your point sir. You are complaining about ball traveling too slow or ball being hard to spin?

I've used some balls that are notoriously annoying (namely some older butterfly sleek stuff). But I don't have issues with most of the stuff I am playing with.

The two key bullet points would be to keep the balls and tables clean and dry. I am more on the spinny side though, I prefer mid-stiff-flexy (leaning towards the flexier side) and harder rubbers. I am more often than not winning with spin (when opponent misjudges amount of spin and balls goes to the ceiling) or through the placement :|

I think restating what is wrong with what you have got would help out.

PS: Congrats on new blade. Sweet.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says toooooo much choice!!
Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
Hi,

I would now go with 1.9 or 2.0mm with the spring / ESN sponges, rather than max.
I have used max in the past quite a lot, with MXP, MXS, etc etc found them ok but wanted a little more control, so now stepped down in sponge thickness, speed is still good.
with the harder sponges / tacky top sheet rubbers I still go for max to help with the speed.
Exception is D09C which I have in 1.9mm, because the spring sponge x is still very lively, even with a ‘so called’ tacky top sheet.

Jul 2020
Read 11 reviews
IB66

Interesting, maybe because my blade is nearly stiff 7 ply and yours is flexy 5 ply it is affecting our sponge thickness choices. I believe so.
On Infinity and Stratus Powerwood max Tenergy was too mushy and bouncy for me. Also on OSP V+.
But I just carried on with 1.9 when I went to Force Pro Blue, but it all too flat with the plastic ball.

Last week I could not lift the long chop serves of my training partner even when I read them with 1.9 on fh.
Tonight I looped 90% of them back with ease and control with max.

Yes it was a bit bouncy at times and I struggled a bit more with topspin but it seemed to absorb power and make blocks a bit easier too.

Years ago I used an Andro Carbon Balsa this was also better with 1.9.
When I switched to Rossi Emotion it was awful with 1.9 and needed max to give the ball a bit more dwell and arc.

Hi MOG,

I have a sheet of T80FX max, and I just found it too bouncy, so I stopped playing with it. Also used MXP and a few other tensors in max, but on defensive blades and found it easier to play with these rubbers, speed was still plenty fast enough when attacking.
Then tried putting these on a long5 blade, and I found it harder to keep the ball on the table. I think this combination was too fast for me / my technique / ability. But when I use the dead tacky rubbers on the long 5, it’s a different kettle of fish!!!

i then took the plunge and got a sheet of D09C in 1.9mm mounted on the Primorac all wood, very nice rubber!!

i don’t know how you and others feel, but the Butterfly spring sponges just seem different to say Joola / Andro / Tibhar sponges, can’t really put my finger on it !!!! Just different Seem to be more ‘explosive’

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I used to really hate on anything under 2.1 sponge... then I had some 2.0 soft sponge old time rubber on BH and I was a BOSS. Someone slipped a 1.9 Tenergy on a blade for me to try and surprisingly I could still spin...

So my short empirical evidence suggests that 1.9 and 2.0 are not hte end of the word for a spin oriented attacking player.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I cannot speak in total general speak on why people might be able to spin on BH and not on FH... it kinda sounds backwards.

I understand in general why many adult players without earlier TT training generally play more quality and consistency on BH if in position... the stroke is shorter and often more direct... so easier to do it if in position... doesn't require long movements.

The better ones learn how to generate a LOT of kinetic energy without the huge movement.

Of course that last point is absolutely true for higher level players... they figured out how to make a powerful shot without a mile long all-out swing.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I think for me why I was such a boss on BH last tourney (using the backup AKKAD after I smashed the Nittaku Mono) with an ancient softer rubber UNBOOSTED rubber in 2 freeking point zero is that I have the instinctive biomechanics for a deeper impact more consistently than I do on FH, where I am better at catching and throwing for my opener.

For whatever reason, I am much more efficient with my limbs, my transfer, and control of timing on the BH wing... that lets me use a 2.0 rubber if it is the kind of rubber I can like on BH (softer modern dynamic or old school linier)

Reactions: MOG
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013
1.9mm rubber has its own advantage.

I have been using 1.9mm tenergy 80 for several years. My rating is around 2200. Many people asks me why do I use a 1.9mm rubber as it is slower and has less spin. This is not exactly correct. Firstly, I'm a penholder and I do traditional punch block for my backhand and loop/drive on my forehand. 1.9mm rubber allows me to play near table and able to create enough impact to compress the 1.9mm sponge in order to benefit from the paddle's power. 2.1mm rubber is harder to penetrate through the sponge when one is near the table. For my level, I can penetrate the sponge easily on my forehand, near or far away from table. But when I do a punch block with my backhand, a 2.1mm sponge is less effective. 1.9mm sponge will be easier to make a fast punch block. Spin wise, there is no difference when you loop near the table. Most players below 2000 level tends to only utilize the top sheet of the rubber and rarely dig into the sponge when they loop. So, in those scenario, they are not benefitting from the paddle and a thicker sponge makes it even harder for them to penetrate through. A good loop requires the ball to penetrate into the sponge, 'contacting' the paddle surface.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
personally i play with 1.9 in FH. My rubbers + blade is fast enough

with max, i make more blocking mistakes. there is more control with 1.9. I have no trouble attacking with speed or power with 1.9 - or at least - at my level its largely fast enough to score points. If i lose a match, its never because my FH is not powerful, fast or spinny enough

for BH, i used to be Spinart 2.1 but i upgraded to Dignics80 which is a faster rubber, so i downsized to 1.9 and its really perfect for me.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2013
personally i play with 1.9 in FH. My rubbers + blade is fast enough

with max, i make more blocking mistakes. there is more control with 1.9. I have no trouble attacking with speed or power with 1.9 - or at least - at my level its largely fast enough to score points. If i lose a match, its never because my FH is not powerful, fast or spinny enough
for BH, i used to be Spinart 2.1 but i upgraded to Dignics80 which is a faster rubber, so i downsized to 1.9 and its really perfect for me.

I note that you use both Tenergy 80 and Dignics 80. Do you feel any difference between them? Personally I find that T80 is a lot faster than D80 during blocking but D80's loop is more difficult for my opponents to receive. Ideally, I will use D80 on my forehand and T80 on my backhand but I am a one sided Cpen player. I am curious if there are any other traits that you notice.