Sponge Thickness

This user has no status.
I'm in the market for a new setup and doing a lot of reading and video watching. One particular point I still struggle with is sponge thickness. It's touched on in many places, but just hoping that I can get a little more specific information to help me. Any input is appreciated!

On my forehand, I'm attacking with loops. On my backhand, I do a lot more blocking and direct hits. Not being a veteran of table tennis by any stretch, my initial thought was to buy rubbers with the same thickness. The more I research though, becomes more overwhelming. I should probably apply the K.I.S.S methodology (Keep It Simple Stupid), but what fun is that?;)

If I take for example a 2.1 vs a 1.9 what can I expect based on my style? I understand the thickness is more of a catapult when you go higher, so would it be wise to go with 2.1 on FH and 1.9 on backhand assuming I use the same rubber on both? Would I notice a huge difference if I went 2.1 on both or 1.9 on both?

I'm thinking that based on my skill alone, I probably won't. Would like to have more experienced opinions/assistance on the matter. Again, appreciate taking the time to read and any advice!

No, you would not notice a big difference. The measurements are also not super accurate and they differ from brand to brand. For two rubbers that are exactly the same except for the thickness, you can expect the thicker rubber to be faster and have higher rebound angle.

If you're not sure go for the 1.9

Julian

Its not so simple to say Yea or Nea.
And it can't be defined by "explaining" the style.
You should feel it.
Its not only about "catapult", its about every other detail - the way you generate spin, the dwell, the drive length, swing mechanics and so on. Plus that there are differences depending on sponge hardness and sponge--to-topsheet hardness ratio and thickness ratio.
So ?

Reactions: romanzdk
This user has no status.
Thanks for the input. I would say I have more control with my FH as compared to my backhand.

And I appreciate and agree about feel, spin generation, mechanics, etc being a major factor to any rubber. I would expect that would be more related to the type or brand of rubber I would chose and the control I can generate. My dilema was more am I putting way too much thought into what thickness to select from FH to BH.

I'm thinking I won't notice unless I try multiple thicknesses, which at some point, I'm sure I'll get the opportunity. For now, I'll just stick to middle of the road I guess.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
If you are a developing player and truly don’t know what you need, all that info will just make you confused. Go for around 2mm. If it’s a fast rubber like Mantra, 1.9 is better than 2.1. If it’s a slower rubber or a Chinese rubber then 2.1mm is fine. As has been pointed out, thicknesses are not exact, your 2.1mm rubber may be 2 or 2.2.

says + Drinkhall Powerspin Carbon with Aurus Prime and Omega...
says + Drinkhall Powerspin Carbon with Aurus Prime and Omega...
Aug 2017
Read 4 reviews
If you are learning/intermediate, go with the below theory:

Hardness: Very Soft
Thickness: Maximum

Hardness: Medium Soft/Hard
Thickness: 2.1 (less than maximum)

Hardness: Hard
Thickness: 1.9/1.7

However, this theory also depends on blade you're using and your technique;
If you can upload a footage of you playing, that will be of much help to give accurate suggestions

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk