Is there a way to responsibly recycle dead rubbers?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Would have Aurus or similar rubber, use it 300 hrs

How do you define 300 hours - actual usage, game play or time spent in the hall?

I play exercises/multiball exclusively, 3 sessions of 1 1/2 hours each weekly, as per my preferences 2/3 backhand.

With no interruptions and that many ball contacts the backhand rubber has 3 hours of actual usage (that is way more than 3 hours of game play) per week.

I should then be able to play it for 100 weeks.

Utterly impossible.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Isn’t the real issue that most players in the Western Hemisphere is using rubbers that are factory boosted? This “boosting” evaporates either by force (while hitting) or just by evaporation. Most players will throw away their rubber in 2-6 months even though the top sheet is quite ok. Boosting can help a little bit but it’s not like opening a new pack of Donic/Tibhar/Andro/Xiom/etc.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2022
Hi. I go through quite a few rubbers every year. That is mostly because of my two kids who ruin them by throwing them in the yard and hitting wall corners.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
yes give them to a coach who can glue them on a bat for a beginner
Yep. I can also think of a lot of people I can give old rubbers to. There is a whole krew of guys who play outdoors at Bryant Park on 42nd Street in NYC. One time I brought a giant stack of rubbers to the park and gave it to one guy I know and told him to dispense them however he saw fit. For months there were guys from Bryant Park thanking me for the rubbers. :)

Outdoors is hard on rubbers so, those guys needed them more than most.

• Love
Reactions: MOG
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2011

First of all they are not plastic. Plastic is a polymer made from petroleum. Rubber is sap from a rubber tree. Not sure how these rubbers are process but if they're not vulcanized they will eventually break down. If you leave out in the sun they will eventually dry up and break apart. However if they've been vulcanized like car tires they will never break down. That's why tires are so hard on the environment.

I'm not too worried about TT rubber there are much worse things for the environment.

There is no perfect way to recycle rubbers. Yes we can hand them down to others (where they may be used for months or years). They will eventually end up in the trash.

Sorry to say that. Only we're a consumer society. Just look in your trash at all the things we toss away.

I am guilty too. I try not to buy more than I need. And when i need it. . It gets more difficult the older I get (I'm 62 now).

My rubbers are 2+ years old as I put them on in October 2019. And since i last played March 2020, why waste resources on new rubbers until I can play? Balls are consumables too..

Look at the big picture as we waste more on other daily consumables than rubbers. No offense to the OP. Just a rambling on an interesting TT subject. We just have to try and be better.

Reactions: MOG and yoass
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I would feel guilty handing down my worn out rubbers. They may be good for absolute beginners but barely.
I like the coaster, pads for the bottom of equipment to avoid scratching and the grip idea.
I have a draw of what I call current rubbers and another with worn out rubbers.
I have paddles with different size heads. When the FH rubber for my Dr N Firewall+ gets worn around the edges I transfer it to a slightly smaller paddle. When they are worn out there they are really worn out. So far I have just put the really worn out rubbers in the trash.