Butterfly S40+ ball

says STAX X9000 is the BEST!
IMG-20190522-WA0004.jpg

Didn't find a thread about this ball, so decided to open new one... Yesterday bought a couple of boxes, and immediatly begin playing with them... I was in awe, just awesome ball, it's very round, hard, and also feels light compared to Butterfly G40+ or DHS D40+ balls, actually it's hardness and roundness IMO close to Nittaku Premium, but Nittaku Premium is feels very heavy compared to other plastic balls, so compared to it S40+ is lite like a feather... So in play S40+ have great and predictable bounce, it's spins quite nice (IMO better than DHS D40+), the only problem for me was that it drops sooner than DHS D40+ when it have backspin on it, so it gets some time to get used to, so I at first maked topspin over the ball, but it just a matter of practice.... So overall for me Butterfly S40+ is by far best plastic ball I ever played, I'm overjoyed!:D

P.S. There might be one more minus to this ball, the first S40+ ball that I played cracked after 10 minutes of training, first time hit it with the edge of the racket and it cracked loudly... but then had a few edge of the racket hits on the second S40+ ball and it's fine, so maybe I was just unlucky with the first one...

Last edited:

JST

This user has no status.

JST

This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Thanks for the review and sorry for nitpicking but I just cannot resist: ITTF specifies very clear and narrow margins for ball wight limits (2.67-2.77 grams to be precise according to ITTF technical Leaflet T3). So your claims about one being heavy and second being feather light are really strange: either you can recognize differences in the range of <4% (0.1g) or the balls are out of limits. Neither option looks possible to me but maybe I misunderstood (I guess people are saying "heavy" and "light" but actually they mean how the ball "feels" when you hit it by the racket and that is combination of hardness, flexibility and surface finish = friction when it travels through the air out from you;)

I found this ball to be boring and bland to play with, less spin than D40+.
It's more predictable trajectory and bounce than D40+, I don't think it indetifies it's have less spin, for me it's more fun to play because I have more control and can start the the playing motion earlier because I'm more sure in my prediction where ball will be subsequently... With DHS I have to do corrections after bounce, so have to wait and limit my possibilities for playing motion that I can do at that moment... Also, DHS D40+ is cheap, but for about last half-year I found it's hard to find really round ball in DHS D40+ box, which is kinda frustraiting... Still, in my city almost all amateurs tournaments have D40+ as official ball, so will still had to mostly play with it, it's just almost no one agrees to play any other ball at tournaments :(

Last edited:
It's more predictable trajectory and bounce than D40+, I don't think it indetifies it's have less spin, for me it's more fun to play because I have more control and can start the the playing motion earlier because I'm more sure in my prediction where ball will be subsequently... With DHS I have to do corrections after bounce, so have to wait and limit my possibilities for playing motion that I can do at that moment...

Yeah, all you say with this is that the BTY S40+ has much less spin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
I actually played for a good two hours with RidTheKid and I can only agree. The bounce is also quite different so you need a couple of minutes to get used to it.

I also played with it tonight as my club is sponsored by BTY and we received new balls today. It's a nightmare for anyone playing with LP as the spin quite often is very low even when facing players who are extremely good loopers. This ball must be a dream come true for flat hitting SP players.

Absolute crap value for money. The european list price is something like 2.5€/ball.

Reactions: nivekkan
Isn't the cracking a bit anecdotal? I haven't seen any "quality" issues (which is also anecdotal considering that my exposure is only 4-5h). You can quite easily crack XSF/SL and G40+ balls by edge hitting it or hitting them into the net post.

The OP has mentioned that he has cracked the ball in 10 minutes.
Thats what I figure.

In generale - I've been a great fan of XSF, Xiom and Tibhar seamless for years and they proved to be absolutely round and with a lifetime longer than any other. BUT recently the latest batches happened to be a great desaster, balls cracking twice per session, so I switched to GEWO 3* ABS Gold and I'm more than happy. Maybe until the next batch of desaster. We are a small country and the regional distributor feels a pain in the ass in such situations, and because of such desasters he refused to sell XSF anymore and he discounted a terible DHS D40+ batch with 50%.
With fewer words - balls /TT balls I mean/ are not jewels to deify, and ALL companies are 3* f***ing us with garbage for money as they like and when they want.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Buying a seamed 3* ball from any European brand (most are DHS OEMs) will pretty much always buy you a good ball as the QA standards are higher (which comes at a price). I've never experienced a bad ball from Gewo, Stiga, Andro etc.

D40+ is also being discounted here so I guess they've had some quality issues recently.

I won't buy any ball at $2.50 to $3 each.

Of coarse.

Even if all balls are unbreakable, there is No ball to keep the spin for more than 2 months.
A 3$ ball should keep the spin for 6 months, and God, the creator off Balls, Hunamun, or whoever, knows its impossible.

After eaqulation and piss the third greatest pleasure is to start the game with a new ball.

• Haha
Reactions: ShakeHold PenHand
Best bang for buck is still D40+, less than a buck per ball, I paid around $0.7.
If they are round... Out of 4 boxes I bought recently about half is not round at all and about 1/3 of the rest is playable, but not round... Even so, you are right, they still cheaper than Butterfly (I bought 4 boxes of D40+ for about 20 USD on ali) even if throw away 70% of not round balls, but, it's just so frustraiting to search round balls in the box like some kind of jewel, and also for me, even if D40+ ball is round, it's still have kinda "strange" trajectory and bounce sometimes, my favourite plastic ball (before I tried S40+) was Nittaku Premium, which doesn't have this "strange" trajectory and bounce... It's just IMHO though.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
If this is the way TT will move in the future, with even less spin, the sport will be boring as hell.

Best bang for buck is still D40+, less than a buck per ball, I paid around $0.7.

Well, if more than 1/2 of them are not round and 1/2 or more are rejects, then the price approaches $2 a ball.

That doesn't sound very good at all.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
And about the ABS ball if you get a round one... you can really hit through spin, also easy to create spin on serve receive (think spinny flip)… but flip side of that is you can also counter a flip easier.

I just like the ABS ball being able to handle spin easier... it makes me have courage to want to counter topspin more.