Confusion in the last point | Final Austrian Bundesliga 2018/2019

This user has no status.
Ok, I watched the whole match, and this is what I found: TL,DR version: Blue player (David Serdaroglu) was doing hidden serves so illegal they were being called (including by the ref off screen on the final point). He lost 8 points total in the match. Went ballistic more than once. Red carded after his final tantrum.

Cheers and to anyone that read this all, I hope I didn't find it boring :)

Thank you for a fun recollection of the events :)

Reactions: ttopy
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
I think the key here is that is always the players responsibility to ensure that the Umpires can be satisfied that the service requirements are met.
The Umpire and the Assistant Umpire did make decisions during this match, after initial warnings to both players concerning this aspect.
I believe that the Referee intervened only when behaviour became unacceptable and issued a red card accordingly to the player in blue.
It is important to remember that neither the Umpire or Assistant Umpire can issue a red card and end a match.

says You can check my YT channel here...
says You can check my YT channel here...
Sep 2013
Read 2 reviews
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtpYMVt5X78

I actually watched the entire game and thought i'd make a compilation of the whole beef in this game, seems to me like David Serdaroglu was aware of that his service was fault (according to the umpires) but still he tried to pull them at critical moments such as 9-8 in the 2nd game

Reactions: bricec
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2016
The problem isn't with the no-look head movement, his arm is not being removed after the toss and is obstructing view of the ball. Technically, the arm should be removed immediately following the toss. But there could be something I'm missing in the German! Maybe the head fake makes it seem like he isn't going to play out the point?

2.6.4 From the start of service until it is struck, the ball shall be above the level of the playing surface and behind the server's end line, and it shall not be hidden from the receiver by the server or his or her doubles partner or by anything they wear or carry.

2.6.5 As soon as the ball has been projected, the server’s free arm and hand shall be removed from the space between the ball and the net. The space between the ball and the net is defined by the ball, the net and its indefinite upward extension.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2020
This all happened quite some time ago now but I feel it important to note that the OTTV (Austrian TT organisation) eventually overruled the decision made on match day, declaring that the third umpire had no right to overrule a service decision. Thus, the final serve did count, Serdaroglu won that point, the set and the match, the tie finished 3-3 rather than 2-4 and SG Stockerau were belatedly awarded the Austrian National league title 2018/19.

So as incredible as the scenes in the video were, the drama carried on for even longer.

http://sportreport.biz/2019/08/13/oettv-berufungsgericht-erklaert-sg-stockerau-zum-meister-2019/