says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Why would Kasumi not like them? She wouldn't like zeio, but it doesn't mean she doesn't like his subs.

She's "my idol." Her miserable record makes me feel alive.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
It struck me how many balls DN played with strong spin and high arc instead going for a power loop with a closed racket angle to get the ball to dip harder. I didn't see her trying that once. And if she doesn't try it how do we know it won't work? You need to solve you opponent somehow and if the current strategy clearly isn't working then one is an idiot for doing the same stuff over and over and expecting a different result. Einstein said that :) From a player perspective with nerves and everything going on in the match it can be hard to perceive exactly what needs to be changed but I think this was a wasted match. It was pretty obvious Ito got a lot of balls right in her strike zone. Like playing Falck, you want to minimize the number of high balls on his fh, on serves and open play.

You do realize that when someone gives a ball arc, it means that the trajectory of the initial ball is disturbing them, right?

I agree with you in a sense, but you need as a coach to formulate strategies within the skill set of the player. And IMO, the real problem with this match was that Ding Ning couldn't keep her serves tight and that Ito has improved her rally skills. And it wasn't enough for a definitive win, it just shifted the balance on a few crucial points.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
At the end of the day, DN lacks kill shots and speed so she is unable to replicate SYS's tactics. She does very well at varying the pace, slowing the rallies and hitting wide angles to throw off Ito but at crucial moments her FH just doesn't suffice and she doesn't use her left-handed BH well enough to target her right-handed opponent's FH. My two-cents.

Since the floodgate has collapsed, will we witness the triple massacre again this Open?

At this very moment if I were ZYL, "I'm gonna make sure I lose the SF tomorrow to CM so that I don't have to undergo the same torment again in the event that WMY falls too".
I think she will try hard to win and if Wang Manyu loses, she will slip on steps or something like that, lol :D
(food posion, ha! :D )

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Maybe Ito just played better today than vs SYS?

Ito doesn't have the consistent level of the top CNT. But since she attacks everything, almost always the match is played on her terms win or lose.

Jan 2018
I think she will try hard to win and if Wang Manyu loses, she will slip on steps or something like that, lol :D
(food posion, ha! :D )

That leaves a lot of room for imagination. Sprained ankle is getting old.

Reactions: Vlad Celler
Screenshot 2019-06-02 at 2.00.33 AM.jpg
Saw this in the live stream and wasnt sure at first, now im pretty sure FZD has changed to H3 on the BH from Dignics as the sponge color looks like a H3 like the one on Ma Long's blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Yep, it will, just too bad they didnt switch the first two matches.
Because that way the less interresting match would go past first, and I could see the second one without any lack of sleep, considering its going to be 5:40 AM of my time for WCT-HT match..
But anyways - I am not even mad at Ma Long vs. FZD meeting so early, when that means we are going to have Timo Boll vs. XU XIN yeah!
Two magicians, what a match that will be!
Too bad I am not sure I will even be able to see it, because "wise" ittf is making regional restrictions in my country and I dont know where in TV could I watch those..

I'm surprised this is the consensus for a lot of people (assuming so, since a lot of folks liked this post), because as an avid table tennis viewer,/fan I'd prefer to watch a match of higher and similar level skilled players, regardless of national association.

Personally, I was looking more forward to LJK and LGY because their level of play is similar to each other and the match should therefore be more exciting. I really don't like the rhetoric coming from the ITTF that just because both players are from the same national association there is less excitement in the match... I met a 2400ish player from Germany one time and he says he doesn't even watch the Bundesliga, he only watches the Chinese Superleague because the matches are just at such a higher level and he enjoyed watching it more.

It's kind of like the NBA or say another country's basketball league. I'd much prefer to watch the NBA over any other league.

But I digress... it's hard to compare with basketball cause, let's say, in the Olympics there is only one team U.S.A. whereas there can be multiple singles players from the same national association. But I still think of all these players should be treated like individual human beings and individual players with individual styles/strengths/weaknesses despite being from the same national association. A Ma Long vs Fan Zhendong World Championship finals to me would be even more exciting than a Ma Long vs Falck just on the basis of the match most likely being lopsided in the latter.

I also get the mentality for rooting for the under-dog and that China always wins and that it's a breath of fresh air when they do not, but... at the same time... I really don't like the quota system in the big events like the Olympics only allowing for two singles players, but this is starting to get too long-winded and not being about the China open so I'll just hit submit and leave it at that... :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
I doubt harimoto has a chance,ma long feels untouchable.

Would like to see Xu beating Ma in the final.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Results from Day 5 (Sat 01 June 2019)

Men's Singles

Quarter-finals:

[11] Ma Long 4:1 Fan Zhendong [1] (11:4, 8:11, 11:6, 12:10, 13:11)
[4] Tomokazu Harimoto 4:1 Wong Chun Ting [14] (11:7, 11:5, 11:3, 10:12, 12:10)

[3] Lin Gaoyuan 4:3 Liang Jingkun [9] (11:9, 11:9, 11:9, 8:11, 6:11, 6:11, 11:7)
[2] Xu Xin 4:0 Timo Boll [5] (11:4, 11:7, 11:9, 11:6)

Women's Singles

Quarter-finals:

[7] Mima Ito 4:1 Ding Ning [1] (7:11, 12:10, 18:16, 13:11, 11:9)
[4] Wang Manyu 4:1 Liu Shiwen [5] (11:6, 11:4, 6:11, 11:4, 13:11)

[3] Chen Meng 4:0 Chen Xingtong [14] (11:9, 11:5, 11:3, 11:7)
[2] Zhu Yuling 4:1 Cheng I-Ching [8] (7:11, 14:12, 11:7, 11:4, 11:5)

Men's Doubles

Final:

Timo Boll/Patrick Franziska 3:0 Ma Long/Wang Chuqin (11:8, 11:7, 11:5)

Women's Doubles

Final:

Gu Yuting/Liu Shiwen 3:0 Wang Manyu/Zhu Yuling [1] (11:7, 12:10, 11:9)

Mixed Doubles

Final:

[4] Lin Yun-Ju/Cheng I-Ching 3:1 Wong Chun Ting/Doo Hoi Kem [1] (10:12, 11:6, 11:1, 11:5)

Source: https://www.ittf.com/tournament/5003/2019/2019-ittf-world-tour-china-open/

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
It's a bit amusing that other than Ma Long upsetting Fan Zhendong (yeah, that kind of upset), the semis still feature the top 4 seeds.
After the anticipation in the WTTC of a Ma Long vs. FZD clash, I find it amazing that there's hardly any mention of their China Open clash which had many incredible points.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
After the anticipation in the WTTC of a Ma Long vs. FZD clash, I find it amazing that there's hardly any mention of their China Open clash which had many incredible points.

I think that ML's 4-1 win is partly the reason for that. Hard to get excited when ML put a major dent in anyone's feelings that Fan might be catching up. And that dent kinda extended itself to the whole TT universe. Harimoto and LGY/XX may get their chance, but other than someone beating ML or taking ML to 7 games, it is all going to be humdrum.

Reactions: BlipBlop575