• Join our newsletter: 
  • Welcome Guest


    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 20 of 29
    1. Top | #1
      RidTheKid is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Sweden

      Equipment:
      Blade DHS W968
      Forehand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 NEO National
      Backhand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 NEO National (Blue Sponge)

      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Location
      Stockholm
      Posts
      1,526
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 1,025 Times in 570 Posts

      What will happen to boosting?

      I honestly am not sure what I think of this:

      https://www.ittf.com/2019/05/27/ittf...XxG948tQZPHJd8

    2. Top | #2
      yogi_bear is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Equipment Expert
      Master TTD Member Country: Philippines
      yogi_bear's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Xiom Feel AX; Stiga Nostalgia All+
      Forehand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 NEO Provincial
      Backhand Rubber Xiom Sigma II Pro; Stiga Mantra H

      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Location
      Philippines
      Posts
      2,652
      Reviews
      Read 71 Reviews
      Liked 1,233 Times in 778 Posts
      Companies will still continue to boost the rubbers in house and will just find ways to go around the rule.

    3. Top | #3
      RidTheKid is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Sweden

      Equipment:
      Blade DHS W968
      Forehand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 NEO National
      Backhand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 NEO National (Blue Sponge)

      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Location
      Stockholm
      Posts
      1,526
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 1,025 Times in 570 Posts
      Yes exactly. And a part of me believes this is another step to try to limit Chinas dominance again. They use equipment that don't function very well without boosting, at least not at top level.

      Quote Originally Posted by yogi_bear View Post
      Companies will still continue to boost the rubbers in house and will just find ways to go around the rule.

    4. The Following User Likes RidTheKid's Post:

      OhWell (05-30-2019)

    5. Top | #4
      zeio is offline
      says IQ < 100
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Hong Kong
      zeio's Avatar

      Join Date
      Jan 2018
      Posts
      2,705
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 4,219 Times in 1,642 Posts
      Nothing. They're addressing boostering. There's no boostering in table tennis. There's only boosting! There's no after treatment in table tennis. There's only post-factory treatment. Whoever wrote this article should be fired.

      Whatever. Factory tuning is just fine. This superficial test is a frigging waste of money to pamper the crybabies. Spend it on VAR, MF!

      “It’s important to note that if we were to change the rule, we would not only be allowing boosters, but any after treatment on approved products. This would pose significant issues, as the ITTF is responsible for ensuring that there are no health risks related to our equipment or our sport as a whole. If we allow after treatments, how can we keep control of which kinds of substances will be used? This is simply not an option. Chemicals must stay in the hands of the professional manufacturing companies.

    6. The Following 5 Users Like zeio's Post:

      AndroidRX93 (05-28-2019),Astorix (05-27-2019),JST (05-27-2019),OhWell (05-30-2019),Suga D (05-28-2019)

    7. Top | #5
      krro is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: Germany


      Join Date
      Feb 2013
      Posts
      50
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
      If ittf only way to check for boosting is to measure the thickness of rubbers it will not change anything. Pro players will just be more thorough and keep their rubbers within 4.0 mm. As they already do now.

      The other method ittf talked about we have to wait and see what it is.

    8. Top | #6
      JulianTT is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: Afghanistan


      Join Date
      Apr 2019
      Posts
      68
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by krro View Post
      The other method ittf talked about we have to wait and see what it is.
      The... hot gas?

      Julian

    9. Top | #7
      RidTheKid is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Sweden

      Equipment:
      Blade DHS W968
      Forehand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 NEO National
      Backhand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 NEO National (Blue Sponge)

      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Location
      Stockholm
      Posts
      1,526
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 1,025 Times in 570 Posts
      They will also check the sponge for gas levels.

      Quote Originally Posted by krro View Post
      If ittf only way to check for boosting is to measure the thickness of rubbers it will not change anything. Pro players will just be more thorough and keep their rubbers within 4.0 mm. As they already do now.

      The other method ittf talked about we have to wait and see what it is.

    10. Top | #8
      mart1nandersson is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Senior TTD Member Country: Sweden
      mart1nandersson's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Victas Koji Matsushita
      Forehand Rubber Nittaku Fastarc C-1
      Backhand Rubber Tibhar Grass D.TecS

      Join Date
      Feb 2018
      Posts
      647
      Reviews
      Read 2 Reviews
      Liked 409 Times in 253 Posts
      My guess is that the outcome of this will be bizarre. Maybe ITTF certified glue sheets with som kind of boosting formula in the glue.

    11. Top | #9
      Lula is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Elite TTD Member Country: Sweden


      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Posts
      1,030
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 847 Times in 464 Posts
      Why did we forbid booster in the first place? was it unhealthy as the speedglue? Can not remember.

    12. Top | #10
      bricec is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: France

      Equipment:
      Blade Stiga Nostalgic Offensive
      Forehand Rubber Yasaka Rakza 7
      Backhand Rubber Stiga Mantra M

      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Posts
      45
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Lula View Post
      Why did we forbid booster in the first place? was it unhealthy as the speedglue? Can not remember.
      Was the speedglue that unhealthy in the first place? Can't remember any kid from my era falling sick. I think that would have kind of made the headlines.

    13. Top | #11
      Airoc is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Senior TTD Member Country: Germany

      Equipment:
      Blade Fortino Pro
      Forehand Rubber Rasanter R50
      Backhand Rubber Rasanter R50

      Join Date
      Apr 2014
      Posts
      874
      Reviews
      Read 3 Reviews
      Liked 635 Times in 376 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by bricec View Post
      Was the speedglue that unhealthy in the first place? Can't remember any kid from my era falling sick. I think that would have kind of made the headlines.
      VOC are quite possibly carcinogenic. Kids from your era dying of cancer, seemingly unrelated to their hobby, would most probably not have made the headlines. Of course it was never "breathe in and die on the spot" ...

      Boosting - with harmless substances - was quite probably forbidden because the industry had the speed glue effect rubbers to sell, but boosted classic rubbers were superior to the first generations of those. I remember one particular player boosting Speedy Spin even when Tibhar Genius was already out ...

    14. Top | #12
      anjoooo is online now
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: Australia

      Equipment:
      Blade Andro Temper Tech
      Forehand Rubber Andro Rasanter R47
      Backhand Rubber Andro Rasanter R47

      Join Date
      Apr 2016
      Posts
      64
      Reviews
      Read 1 Reviews
      Liked 32 Times in 23 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by zeio View Post
      Nothing. They're addressing boostering. There's no boostering in table tennis. There's only boosting! There's no after treatment in table tennis. There's only post-factory treatment. Whoever wrote this article should be fired.

      Whatever. Factory tuning is just fine. This superficial test is a frigging waste of money to pamper the crybabies. Spend it on VAR, MF!
      I think the same guy/girl writes all the ITTF articles. I recognise the poor grammar and backwards sentence structures. Reading ITTF.com articles is headache-inducing because of it.

    15. Top | #13
      bricec is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: France

      Equipment:
      Blade Stiga Nostalgic Offensive
      Forehand Rubber Yasaka Rakza 7
      Backhand Rubber Stiga Mantra M

      Join Date
      Jan 2019
      Posts
      45
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Airoc View Post
      VOC are quite possibly carcinogenic. Kids from your era dying of cancer, seemingly unrelated to their hobby, would most probably not have made the headlines. Of course it was never "breathe in and die on the spot" ...
      Well I'm quite probably wrong on those. I usually am after all :-) But I'm pretty sure there's more pressing cancer-giving stuff to tackle before taking care of speed glue :-)

    16. Top | #14
      igorponger is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Advanced TTD Member Country: Former Soviet Union


      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Posts
      201
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
      Those DianChi and Kalin famous boosters. It is a poison. As for chemical composition, it is pure mineral oil as derived from a crude petroleum. It is an inedible product anyway, it is explosive under heating. Keep children away from the product.

    17. Top | #15
      purpletiesto is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: Australia

      Equipment:
      Blade Butterfly Viscaria 90g Fishyscaley
      Forehand Rubber Butterfly Tenergy 05 2.1mm
      Backhand Rubber Butterfly Tenergy 05 2.1mm

      Join Date
      Apr 2018
      Posts
      53
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by bricec View Post
      Well I'm quite probably wrong on those. I usually am after all :-) But I'm pretty sure there's more pressing cancer-giving stuff to tackle before taking care of speed glue :-)
      Definitely, but nothing the ITTF can control...

    18. The Following User Likes purpletiesto's Post:

      bricec (05-28-2019)

    19. Top | #16
      zeio is offline
      says IQ < 100
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Hong Kong
      zeio's Avatar

      Join Date
      Jan 2018
      Posts
      2,705
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 4,219 Times in 1,642 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Lula View Post
      Why did we forbid booster in the first place? was it unhealthy as the speedglue? Can not remember.
      Oh, the horrible memories. Back in mid-2008, booster was already widely practiced as an alternative to gluing. Adham Sharara's first attempt to outlaw the practice was to define booster as an "additive" after rubber approval.

      They claimed the early-day boosters contained harmful VOCs and came close to the limit of the ENEZ(1st-gen VOC reader) at the time, 5ppm(?). When the next-gen boosters came and the ENEZ couldn't detect it, they turned to the rhetoric of toxic chemicals. Host associations were forced to upgrade to the "super-duper-latest-and-greatest-sensitive-and-expensive-af" ELIZE and RAE and so started the cat-and-mouse game of lowering the VOC level until 2011 to 2ppm(?) when they started getting false positives. IIRC, CTTA was so upset the folks put in a proposal at the AGM to get them to ****ing stop messing since London Olympics was so close.

      The witch hunt died down for a while until 2013 when JTTA put in a proposal and hired a bunch of eggheads to come up with the ill-fated bounce test. They spent another 2 years(?) drafting that crap and then came to the conclusion it wouldn't serve its purpose of creating an even-playing field.

      It's been a long time so the order of events could be wrong, but it's a ****ing mess. Total waste of money and time. People literally confronted Sharara on the few major forums he participated because he kept speaking out of both sides of his mouth, like how factory-tuning was fine, or how non-VOC booster could be allowed if there was one and all that shit.

    20. The Following User Likes zeio's Post:

      Suga D (05-28-2019)

    21. Top | #17
      igorponger is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Advanced TTD Member Country: Former Soviet Union


      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Posts
      201
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
      ITTF WOULD IMPOSE NO RESTRICTIONS ON THE COMMON POPULES.

      All the recreational players are free to boost on their rubbers without restrictions, and it is not the case with money players as Timo Ball and Ma Long.
      Lets invite MaLomg to enter our discussion.

    22. Top | #18
      RidTheKid is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Sweden

      Equipment:
      Blade DHS W968
      Forehand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 NEO National
      Backhand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 NEO National (Blue Sponge)

      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Location
      Stockholm
      Posts
      1,526
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 1,025 Times in 570 Posts
      Zeio, what do you think is the reason for ITTF wanting to ban boosting? What's the harm in players boosting, really?


      Quote Originally Posted by zeio View Post
      Oh, the horrible memories. Back in mid-2008, booster was already widely practiced as an alternative to gluing. Adham Sharara's first attempt to outlaw the practice was to define booster as an "additive" after rubber approval.

      They claimed the early-day boosters contained harmful VOCs and came close to the limit of the ENEZ(1st-gen VOC reader) at the time, 5ppm(?). When the next-gen boosters came and the ENEZ couldn't detect it, they turned to the rhetoric of toxic chemicals. Host associations were forced to upgrade to the "super-duper-latest-and-greatest-sensitive-and-expensive-af" ELIZE and RAE and so started the cat-and-mouse game of lowering the VOC level until 2011 to 2ppm(?) when they started getting false positives. IIRC, CTTA was so upset the folks put in a proposal at the AGM to get them to ****ing stop messing since London Olympics was so close.

      The witch hunt died down for a while until 2013 when JTTA put in a proposal and hired a bunch of eggheads to come up with the ill-fated bounce test. They spent another 2 years(?) drafting that crap and then came to the conclusion it wouldn't serve its purpose of creating an even-playing field.

      It's been a long time so the order of events could be wrong, but it's a ****ing mess. Total waste of money and time. People literally confronted Sharara on the few major forums he participated because he kept speaking out of both sides of his mouth, like how factory-tuning was fine, or how non-VOC booster could be allowed if there was one and all that shit.

    23. Top | #19
      driversbeat is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Established TTD Member Country: Singapore
      driversbeat's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Xiom Feel HX Pro
      Forehand Rubber Xiom Omega VII Asia
      Backhand Rubber Nittaku Moristo

      Join Date
      Feb 2019
      Posts
      106
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 73 Times in 45 Posts
      All I could think of was that this money could be better spent on action replay and vibration detection on edges and lets. Afterall, that's what caused controversy at the recent WTTC, not this.

    24. The Following User Likes driversbeat's Post:

      Suga D (05-28-2019)

    25. Top | #20
      zeio is offline
      says IQ < 100
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Hong Kong
      zeio's Avatar

      Join Date
      Jan 2018
      Posts
      2,705
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 4,219 Times in 1,642 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by RidTheKid View Post
      Zeio, what do you think is the reason for ITTF wanting to ban boosting? What's the harm in players boosting, really?
      The glorious motive is for health reasons and sport image, often citing the Agenda 21. The ulterior motive is to slow the game down, as Sharara put it on multiple occasions. There are also conspiracy theories that manufacturers like Butterfly and/or ESN want it banned for various reasons.

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    Log in or Register
    BACK TO TOP