Should i reboost?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Please post the rule that allows boosting :p

2.4.7 The racket covering shall be used without any physical, chemical or other treatment.

Tell that to every manufacturer that sells rubbers pre-boosted. Because what they do directly flies in the face of that. The only difference is they do it before they sell it do you. Some people do it afterwards. Does it really matter when it's done?

Furethermore, I'd argue that the ITTF approves rubber topsheets. "Covering" is very much a grey area. What's the stance on taking "x" approved ITTF rubber and putting it on some random sponge? That's completely legal. So again I ask. Define covering? If it's rubber topsheet then boosting the sponge is completely separate then.

As for the OP, yeah i'd wait the normal time-frame before I reboost.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
Please post the rule that allows boosting :p

2.4.7 The racket covering shall be used without any physical, chemical or other treatment.

You really want to argue about this? Ok then. The boosting process is part of the gluing process, i.e. as long as the VOC checks out it doesn't count as tempering the equipment. Btw, as a USATT umpire we were never given instructions to bang boosted rubbers as long as they don't use speed glue.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Does it really matter when it's done?
Of course it does. If the manufacturer does it it is legal. If you do it it is against the rules.

Furethermore, I'd argue that the ITTF approves rubber topsheets. "Covering" is very much a grey area.
For me covering is anything that covers the blade (both sponge and rubber). But yeah, that is not a good wording.

What's the stance on taking "x" approved ITTF rubber and putting it on some random sponge? That's completely legal.
Is it legal? Are you sure? I don't think so as this would be a treatment forbidden by above rule.

The boosting process is part of the gluing process
That is big BS someone who boosts himself would tell you.

The above rule is clear. Boosting is not legal. Why would ITTF increase testing of boosted rubbers right now if it was no deal?
Read that: https://www.tabletennischicago.com/ittf-steps-up-measures-against-boosting/
Does that sound legal to anyone here?

Sure, the rule is phrased bad once again. Just write "to boost your rubber is not allowed" there and everything would be clear enough. ITTF things...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews
Of course it does. If the manufacturer does it it is legal. If you do it it is against the rules.

For me covering is anything that covers the blade (both sponge and rubber). But yeah, that is not a good wording.

Is it legal? Are you sure? I don't think so as this would be a treatment forbidden by above rule.

The above rule is clear. Boosting is not legal. Why would ITTF increase testing of boosted rubbers right now if it was no deal?
Read that: https://www.tabletennischicago.com/ittf-steps-up-measures-against-boosting/

Sure, the rule is phrased bad once again. Just write "to boost your rubber is not allowed" there and everything would be clear enough. ITTF things...

I boost my rubbers and I tell you it is part of the gluing process. The proper way of boosting is glue layer first, then multiple layers of booster, then glue again, you tell me it's not part of the gluing process? Plus, oil is a misconception, the actual product name in Chinese is still glue, it just has a much shinier form that looks like oil. And again, if the finished product passes the VOC checks, it is legal, end of story. If you still says it's illegal, go tell ITTF that and let them change the rules to say no boosting of any kind is allowed, and specify what is boosting. Otherwise, you're just being salty.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I don't agree with anything you say. You can't have a double standard where manufacturers are allowed to boost the rubbers but you can't. I couldn't care less how you choose to interpret the rule, it's stupid. Manufacturers are not above the law (rule) so the rule is moot. BTW there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to forbid voc free boosters so tell me again why you think it's a good idea to forbid it? Because it says so in a rule? You never question anything "authorities" tell you?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Also someone back me up on this but I'm pretty sure it's 100% legal to put any sponge, so long as it doesn't go over the thickness rule, on an approved ITTF topsheet & play.

I mean we all know that the CNT uses Hurricane 3 as their FH topsheets but the quality & harness of sponges they actually attach remains a great mystery.

I also don't follow the logic that it's completely okay for manufacturers to do it but not users. To me that simply makes zero sense. Anybody who argues otherwise I almost jokingly have to question "do you work for Butterfly or DHS?" Why so interested in keeping their pockets lined?

The rule you pointed out yourself (even though I question "what is the definition of covering?") says nothing about it being okay for manufacturers to do it. By that standard then everybody who plays with Tenergy (which is like 90 some % of pros) are playing with illegal rubbers. Basically everybody is.

Last edited:
Reactions: Caddy and DukeGaGa
This user has no status.
There we go, the guys using boosters are ready to defend themselves :cool:

I boost my rubbers and I tell you it is part of the gluing process.
Boosting has nothing to do with gluing your rubber. Just because you apply your booster during gluing process the booster itself still has nothing to do with gluing. With that logic you could treat your rubber in the microwave if you do it between the first and second layer of glue because it "part of the gluing process".

You can't have a double standard where manufacturers are allowed to boost the rubbers but you can't.
That is not my standard, that is what is written in the rules. ITTF approves rubbers ex works. If you change anything afterwards that is not the rubber anymore the ITTF has approved. Quite easy to understand, isn't it?

I couldn't care less how you choose to interpret the rule, it's stupid. Manufacturers are not above the law (rule) so the rule is moot.
2.4.7 The racket covering shall be used without any physical, chemical or othertreatment.
Actually manufacturers are above that special rule. As long as their rubbers get approved everything is fine. As soon as you buy that rubber rule 2.4.7 applies to you.

BTW there is absolutely no reason whatsoever to forbid voc free boosters so tell me again why you think it's a good idea to forbid it? Because it says so in a rule? You never question anything "authorities" tell you?
What kind of a "point" is that? It does not matter if we like the rules or not. If you don't like them write a letter to ITTF or whatever. There is a difference between questioning rules and deliberately breaking them. Do I like the current rules regarding service? No. Would I deliberately serve illegally? No, as I am a fair player.

I don't care if my opponent deliberately serves illegally or not but I would always let him know that he is a cheater. I could not care less if you boost or not as you don't have any advantage from it as an amateur player, the better player would still win. But if you illegally treat your racket covering you are a cheater. Deal with it.

Edit:
Also someone back me up on this but I'm pretty sure it's 100% legal to put any sponge, so long as it doesn't go over the thickness rule, on an approved ITTF topsheet & play.

I am curious as well.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Read 2 reviews

I mean we all know that the CNT uses Hurricane 3 as their FH topsheets but the quality & harness of sponges they actually attach remains a great mystery.

I also don't follow the logic that it's completely okay for manufacturers to do it but not users. To me that simply makes zero sense. Anybody who argues otherwise I almost jokingly have to question "do you work for Butterfly or DHS?" Why so interested in keeping their pockets lined?

The rule you pointed out yourself (even though I question "what is the definition of covering?") says nothing about it being okay for manufacturers to do it. By that standard then everybody who plays with Tenergy (which is like 90 some % of pros) are playing with illegal rubbers. Basically everybody is.

Yes, it is totally legal to use any sponge as long as it is within the thickness regulation. And we are actually being spoiled by the manufacturers these days. We used to have to buy rubber and sponge sheets separately and glue them together ourselves, which sometimes generates really awesome results and combinations are infinite. But it is really hard to get it consistent and since more and more manufacturers are producing pre-assembled rubbers with sponge, and the quality is getting better and better, people started to switch to buying those instead.

Boosting has nothing to do with gluing your rubber. Just because you apply your booster during gluing process the booster itself still has nothing to do with gluing. With that logic you could treat your rubber in the microwave if you do it between the first and second layer of glue because it "part of the gluing process".

Yeah, right. If something had to be done during the gluing process to take effect, then it is considered part of the process, it is your choice to do it or not. It's the same as painting a car, you can choose to apply primer or not, but if you do it it has to be done before you put on the paint and after you prep the surface, ask anyone if putting primer on a preped surface part of the painting or not and they'll tell you it is. But you don't have to do it, primer just promotes the bonding, doesn't affect the color at all.

That is not my standard, that is what is written in the rules. ITTF approves rubbers ex works. If you change anything afterwards that is not the rubber anymore the ITTF has approved. Quite easy to understand, isn't it?

Yep, it is YOUR standard, not everyone else's. Like I said above, it is totally fine to buy rubbers and sponges separately, glue them together yourself and use them on a blade. By YOUR standard, it is illegal, but by ITTF standard it is fine.

Actually manufacturers are above that special rule. As long as their rubbers get approved everything is fine. As soon as you buy that rubber rule 2.4.7 applies to you.
Wrong, see above, you can assemble your own rubber and sponge.

What kind of a "point" is that? It does not matter if we like the rules or not. If you don't like them write a letter to ITTF or whatever. There is a difference between questioning rules and deliberately breaking them. Do I like the current rules regarding service? No. Would I deliberately serve illegally? No, as I am a fair player.

I don't care if my opponent deliberately serves illegally or not but I would always let him know that he is a cheater. I could not care less if you boost or not as you don't have any advantage from it as an amateur player, the better player would still win. But if you illegally treat your racket covering you are a cheater. Deal with it.

Edit:

I am curious as well.

It is you that should be dealing with your problem. Again, boosting is not cheating, unless ITTF comes out and specify what boosting is and it is not allowed, it is legal.

This user has no status.
We don't need every boosting thread to turn into pointless arguments. If you don't like seeing people boosting, stay away from this kind of thread because you will make zero influence on people's behaviors. This is purely a matter of how people are interpreting the rules. The ball is in ITTF's court to clearly define everything.

Reactions: Astorix and suds79
This user has no status.
DukeGaga, do you have a source for your claim that separating rubbers from sponges is legal?

We don't need every boosting thread to turn into pointless arguments. If you don't like seeing people boosting, stay away from this kind of thread because you will make zero influence on people's behaviors.
This is not about influencing anyone. This is a forum where people exchange opinions. If there were other topics about the rules of boosting I must have missed them in the recent past. My first post in this topic was intended to provocate.

This is purely a matter of how people are interpreting the rules. The ball is in ITTF's court to clearly define everything.
The rules are worded in a way that lets players find excuses if needed, true. Still people know that boosting is not legal, google for it and the consent is the same everywhere. Also seeing ITTF checking the players' setups for illegal boosters tells it all. Timo Boll guessing that 80 % of the pros playing with illegally boosted rubbers. And so on.
It is not about how people interpret the rules. If someone likes to play ignorant there is always a way to do so. It is about how fair someone is (or not). Unfortunately a lot of people decide to play unfair to gain an advantage. Everyone knows how to serve in a way that is fair for the opponent. Still a lot of people abuse the rules to gain an unfair advantage. Same for boosting. If you do it to gain more spin, speed or whatever and you are still able to celebrate your undeserved victories that tells a lot about your sportsmanship. For me it is sad to see how self-evidently people cheat. No regrets, no shame, no reason.

DukeGaGa even agrees that treating your rubber in the microwave is allowed just to justify boosting with the same absurd point...

Anyway, good night all :D

This user has no status.
Whatever ITTF says, it is rendered pointless by the very fact that some rubbers come already boosted straight from manufacturers.

I think you're worked up too much about the effect of boosting. It rarely offers any advantage for players who aren't at a professional level and nobody frankly cares unless it is ITTF sanctioned tournaments.