Good blade for close to table attacking?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
Hi everyone, I'd like to foray into my first custom racket, but need some advice.

I play recreationally at clubs but the vast majority of my games are in my smaller basement where there is about 6ft of space behind either end of the table. Although this is not ideal, my playing circumstances aren't going to change so I'd like to just embrace it and develop my style into one focused on early attacks with topspin, from close to the table, that end the rally quickly while the opponent is also pinned close to the table. I would also need to block consistently from up close.

I am currently using a premade Stiga Evolution racket, and some things I notice are:
  • Forehand loops from low and close to the table go into the net often, and I'd like some help with maybe a higher throw angle, more dwell and more spin to help me get my wide forehand loops on the table.
  • Similar to the above, I like to attack backspin serves to my BH with loops and flicks, and I'd like a more forgiving trajectory as I attack some of the lower serves.
  • In general, since a well-placed drive/loop with some speed is hard to block consistently from so close to the table, I don't think it's totally necessary to have ridiculous speed.
  • I think a lighter blade would also help me position my racket more quickly close to the table.

Can someone suggest a good blade to start with? And maybe a suggestion for rubbers as well?

Appreciate it!!

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
Palio Energy 03 plus soft version of Palio ak 47 (yellow)
+- 30$

Not a bad suggestion. Gets your feet wet with a custom blade for just a small amount of money. Leaves you more money to experiment further. The AK47 rubbers are great at lifting backspin balls. They are also very light. You might want to get an AK47 Blue as well, this might work better for you on the backhand in the beginning.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Do you know what rubbers you have ? Because it seems to me that the blade can be good a fit so maybe it's more about the rubbers

Personally i would advice a tensor rubber that is around 38/40° (hardness) as you seem to say you want to be able to produce spin more easily. Why not Donic acuda S3 in 1,8mm (played it, it was good). Maybe otherwise Donic bluefire M3, Tibhar Evolution FXP, i know players that like it

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
Thanks for the good suggestions.
The XIOM Offensive S looks like a nice prospect, maybe paired with Donic Acuda S3 / Tibhar EVO FXP.

I love the idea of trying a cost effective Palio but I don't like that I have to wait a month for it to arrive from China since I have a month of vacation right now :/

The Stiga Azalea looks nice but it's pink!! This is no good for me ;) literally any other color will do!

My friend is suggesting I get something like a Nittaku Septear 7-ply hinoki with Hurricane S3, what do you guys think?

Do you guys have any other suggestions? I like to compare a few options...
I'm sure that I can improve and work on my game with any decent blade, but I like to think about this stuff.