Need help for picking offensive blade for looping backspin

Langel is right, pick a setup and stick with it for the rest of your life as your coach suggests

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6010 using Tapatalk

Again:
The setup should corespond to the level and style development.
There are different scenarios, but there is nothing bad to keep to one and the same setup, if it helps your development.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Thank you. Yes I should work on the recovery, but mostly what puts me off is that when I loop from my backhand to opponents backhand, the block comes directly into my body, same with forehand, the block is low and directed quickly to my body, this is what is preventing me from making my next kill shot.

May be my problem is I can only impart enough topspin to put the ball over the net but not enough to seriously trouble my opponent.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

One way to gain an advantage off of a backhand topspin is to aim at the elbow of the opponent. Then the kind of ball that comes back is more often a passive block than an aggressive loop. Usually on such balls you can step around and attack with forehand. These are the normal combos that a coach will work with you, and after a while it becomes automatic.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Not sure if I understand well your needs, from what I get I suggest that you consider the Stiga Rosewood XO too (assuming you can still find it in the sub-100 price range).

Take care,
BB

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Looping back spin is mostly a matter of technique.
Dan had a video recently with 3 drills. One was similar to what we do almost every practice session where we push until someone fills brave to open. Usually there is only a push or two before the ball goes too long or too high and is attacked.
The rubbers mentioned above sound good. I like Rakza 7 and Vega Pro but mostly Rakza 7.
I don't see how the weight of the blade will make that much difference. In the end my paddles end up weight 170gm to a little for 180gm. Rakza 7 isn't that heavy. It should be possible to have a paddle that weights around 180gm.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
I have been using Nittaku Acoustic (5 ply all-wood) with Rakza 7 (max) on my backhand.
My game is somewhat similar to yours with heavy-backspin oriented serves, and then attack on the third-ball. I never had problem with looping on the backhand side. I also find it very easy to push, and have very good control as I'm able to direct the ball where I want it to go.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
I have been using Nittaku Acoustic (5 ply all-wood) with Rakza 7 (max) on my backhand.
My game is somewhat similar to yours with heavy-backspin oriented serves, and then attack on the third-ball. I never had problem with looping on the backhand side. I also find it very easy to push, and have very good control as I'm able to direct the ball where I want it to go.
Thank you for the reply. I got Rakza 7 but not the max version.

One question. Where do you place your heavy backspin serves? Do you serve from your backhand side? I serve with my backhand and most opponents after getting used to the backspin start pushing deep with different angles. How do you handle that?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
I serve on my backhand side about 66-75% of the time. While sometimes, I move to the far right side of the table — when I serve from my forehand side, that’s where I use a super heavy backspin which is very effective because the straight serve (from that angle) is the shortest serve you can ever do.

I used to be a one-dimensional server — and what helped me was that I added a top-spin and then eventually a no-spin serve (while they think I’m still serving backspin) which confuses my opponents and makes for an easy 3rd-ball attack.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Any blade that does not have ridiculous quick rebound will work fine enough.

Allround Evolution should be easily available for a low price, W6 same situation.

The rubbers in OP signature will do, although I would be inclined towards the Vega Pro.

OP is a recreational player who will likely not pay money for professional coaching, so let's get that idea out of our heads.

I was once a recreational player on an Army camp in Iraq and had a similar issue on BH. I simply did not know how to BH loop underspin. A translater guy who used a USD $3 hardbat would retrieve everything with light underspin and I couldn't BH attack it to save my life.

I bought and read Coach Larry Hodges out of print "Steps to Success Table Tennis" book and it showed EXACTLY how to do that stroke and every basic fundamental aspect of Table Tennis...

A month later, no more issues vs that guy. By the time I got assigned to Korea and joined a TT club to begin my amateur TT career, I had the best BH loop vs underspin in the entire city as a rec player, weird.

If you are not gunna get pro coaching, get a good book that explains the fundamentals and read 100x. It will get you started, but won't replace professional coaching.

Enjoy Ur TT.

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Looping backspin is a matter of technique, not equipment although I do think than a spinny rubber will let you be more offensive if your stroke is right but a spinny rubber can also work against you if your stroke is wrong.

I wouldn't pick my equipment based on looping back spin but on how it plays during the first few strokes. Many rallies don't get past that point.

I like Rakza 7. I think it is a good choice. Rakza 7 is not heavy.