New Butterfly Viscaria Blade - Core ply is 2-piece?

This user has no status.
At least having a joint core ply doesn't affect playing characteristics.
Look at this. I've received a YEO that had a joint top ply on one side, luckily I got refund for it.

D42F913B-8F8F-4B8D-A523-37F1226DFB05.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
At least having a joint core ply doesn't affect playing characteristics.
Look at this. I've received a YEO that had a joint top ply on one side, luckily I got refund for it.

View attachment 19257

I think I prefer joined top ply than joined core.
at least in the top ply they remove the tape that joins it.
or they don't use a tape at all, I'm not sure.....

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
In the end if your in it for the looks, then it matters, if you want a flawless symmetric looking blade.
If you’re in it for the feeling and it feels good, then it doesn’t matter.
If it feels odd on the other hand, then you have point.
So, I ask, are you concerned of how it feels or just concerned about how it looks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
I think people's ability to feel differences in blades is overestimated.
if you can't tell whether your blade has a piece of tape holding together two pieces of wood then you probably can't tell whether your blade has ayous or hinoki or whatever it has.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
I think I prefer joined top ply than joined core.
at least in the top ply they remove the tape that joins it.
or they don't use a tape at all, I'm not sure.....

They still do. There's still 1 piece of veneer tape underneath that joint.

This user has no status.
In the end if your in it for the looks, then it matters, if you want a flawless symmetric looking blade.
If you’re in it for the feeling and it feels good, then it doesn’t matter.
If it feels odd on the other hand, then you have point.
So, I ask, are you concerned of how it feels or just concerned about how it looks?

Good point. In my case, I'm only concerned about the feel. Look doesn't matter if the blade is covered by rubbers.
The YEO I got definitely felt different when shots landed on the joined top ply area. That's why I emailed the vendor to complain. This is the only occasion I complained about a blade.
My nittaku violin carbon has a joint core, and it plays normally (at least I can't tell any abnormalities).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
Good point. In my case, I'm only concerned about the feel. Look doesn't matter if the blade is covered by rubbers.
The YEO I got definitely felt different when shots landed on the joined top ply area. That's why I emailed the vendor to complain. This is the only occasion I complained about a blade.
My nittaku violin carbon has a joint core, and it plays normally (at least I can't tell any abnormalities).

Yes, my Timo Boll ZLF is one piece, has no joints. But plays the same as a friend’s ZLF that has multiple joints. It’s all in their mind. And if it plays differently, adapt. Period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
In my experience when blade has joint wood in any layer there is often some mushy feeling when hiting the ball.

I found joint wood more often on cheaper blades, less often on expensive blades

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2019
very thin layers in the middle could also have joints.
it's probably impossible to know if your blade has joints/tape unless you delaminate the blade, destroying it completely.

Last edited: