Advice on new BH rubber.

Hi Guys,

I have recently switched the the Timo Boll ALC from the spirit and have noticed it is considerably quicker especially on the BH. I am currently using Tenergy 05 on FH which i do like the feel of and Tenergy 05fx on BH which im finding it hard to control and block heavy topspins due to the fact the Boll ALC is quicker. i have been looking and may either try Rakza 7 or Xiom Vega Europe on the BH both in max what do you guys think? Or is there another rubber you would reccommend.

Thanks in advance;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2019
I have a Viscaria and I use Rakza 7 2.0 on my FH and BH. I mostly play close to the table and this works for me. I tried Max, but the 2.0 works better for me close to the table. On BH flicks it is very low and direct. Can also do slow spiny loops as well. As a bonus, I find it makes for a nice controlled short game as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: hazzaa96
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I think there are less control in soft sponged rubbers because you get so much help and it is hard to feel where the ball is hitting.

I think you could try a harder rubber with Maybe a thinner sponge.

Edit: try turning the racket around and see if you like harder rubber on the backhand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
Yes, harder rubber would be more linear and controllable. I'm surprised you find the ALC much different from the spirit, should be minute or exactly the same.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Oct 2016
Read 5 reviews
Impuls powersponge is easy to play so maybe aurus soft will be identical
I use fastarc g1 on my Viscaria and euro Vega on forhand (perfect fh rubber)

Not necessarily true. At 2.0mm, softer spong3d rubbers are not hard to control.

QUOTE=Lula;276389]I think there are less control in soft sponged rubbers because you get so much help and it is hard to feel where the ball is hitting.

I think you could try a harder rubber with Maybe a thinner sponge.

Edit: try turning the racket around and see if you like harder rubber on the backhand.[/QUOTE]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
im using tb alc now as my main set up, i find omega euro 7 to be a really good bh rubber.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Just go back to the old blade, blade feeling is not a trivial thing and if a blade feels too fast, it probably isn't worth using unless you train 6 hours a day like a pro when every change is possible. I learned this the hard way and tried to use Boll ALC but no matter how hard I tried, I always felt I didn't know what was on the ball. I went back to Korbel and it felt better.

I sometimes check blade frequency and my upper limit is probably 1400Hz. Maybe 1300Hz. But usually above 1400HZ, I just can't feel the ball so I stopped trying. If I was a pro, I might give it a shot but it isn't worth it to be wasting time you don't have trying to block with a blade that you can't feel.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
All good advice here , have you tried switching it around and checking if you are able to control better than T05 than FX .
Somehow, I feel the ball better with harder sponges , with FX it seems the feeling is kind of muffled .... I would suggest you give that a shot for a while before deciding on changing equipment completely/ going back to your older setup as NextLevel suggested.

Thanks for the responses guys really appreciate it. The main reason why i changed to the Timo Boll ALC is because the Boll Spirit is now discontinued and wanted to see what the Boll ALC was like for the future. Furthermore i have the old Boll Spirit with whitearylate circle and have a feeling the new ones with green gem will play differently. if i was to change back to the Boll Spirit what would you guys reccomend as a BH rubber, Rakza 7 or Vega Europe?

Thanks again

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2019
TBS isn't discontinued - it's in the current Butterfly Europe catalogue. Some say that the TB ALC has a slightly harder feel due to some kind of UV treatment on the surface, but practically there will be more variation within any particular model than across the TB ALC, ZJK ALC, TBS and Viscaria. You're better off choosing blades based on how their handles feel. Consequently, you should trry to pick something which has a comfortable throw angle based on your preferred grip with your existing blade.

Vega Europe tends to get very good reviews as being a medium throw rubber. It's one of the most popular rubbers in Japan too, so it's probably pretty suited to people developing their BHs.

Reactions: kneckedeck
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Did you use the same rubbers on your old blade?

I agree with NextLevel. Changing the blade is much harder than changing rubbers. I would try T80FX (or Rozena even though it's faster than FX) if you really want to stay with the new blade as it's way less sensitive to incoming spin but has got the same feel as the sponge as it's the same as T05FX.

Rozena has the same sponge hardness as normal Tenergy.

This user has no status.
I love Rakza 7 on the backhand in 2.0mm. The new balls really allow for rubbers in this range of hardness to perform on the backhand these days. Sure opening up against heavy backspin balls will still be a bit harder to do than with a soft rubber but once the play is active (attacking & blocking) the harder rubber will perform better in every area imho. I also love Xiom Vega Pro in 2.0mm red on the backhand. Perhaps even more so, for the same reasons.