ITTF 2019 Hong Kong Open June 4-9

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Even Guo Yan said in the post-match interview that Ito could lose this week only to bounce back harder and come up with a solution next week. "Beating her once doesn't mean you have the upper hand."

Compare how she played DN in Qatar Open and China Open.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Even Guo Yan said in the post-match interview that Ito could lose this week only to bounce back harder and come up with a solution next week. "Beating her once doesn't mean you have the upper hand."

Compare how she played DN in Qatar Open and China Open.

This is true, but the final was Ito trying everything she had but it just didn't really work. Maybe she had an off day or something, but people should kill this idea that she wasn't trying hard. You don't pivot to return serves if you are not trying hard.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2018
Couldn't Ito win using old stuff (perhaps + some new)and save enough new stuff for the Olympics? What is this winning just based on tricks? What happened to winning based on quality ?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
I felt like Wang Yidi did very well with her service tactics: primarily long to Ito's backhand with heavy "straight" backspin (with some no-spin serves mixed in.

The length made it more difficult for Ito to execute her various return techniques effectively - and when she did, Wang had more time to adjust to the various sidespins.

And the heavy backspin made it hard for Ito to attack forcefully directly on the service. Against "normal" long FAST serves against the backhand, she is usually good at attacking/redirecting with the backhand or stepping around and smashing with the forehand. But against the heavy backspin, her backhand attacks were not as dangerous and when she stepped around to open with a spinny forehand topspin, she left the forehand corner wide open, which Wang exploited quite well.

I'm not sure if other CNT players have used this tactic against Ito yet?

The real pip expert DYP said exactly the same in commentary.
One major weakness of Ito is she cannot BH smash 弹击 on backspins; a BH pip player has to fix this. The other is relatively weak FH loops 拉球 like TH. Not that they cannot do good FH smashes, flicks, etc. It is that they don't have killing shots with FH topspins and usually use as transition shots and give opponents opportunities. Being old fashioned or not, she believes the level of FH determines the level of a player.

DYP appreciates WYD's execution of tactics today. Very effective. Long serves to Ito's BH. She also thinks WYD can do more backspins service returns rather than banana, like long pushes. The young generation in general lack variations on service return.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
The real pip expert DYP said exactly the same in commentary.
One major weakness of Ito is she cannot BH smash 弹击 on backspins; a BH pip player has to fix this. The other is relatively weak FH loops 拉球 like TH. Not that they cannot do good FH smashes, flicks, etc. It is that they don't have killing shots with FH topspins and usually use as transition shots and give opponents opportunities. Being old fashioned or not, she believes the level of FH determines the level of a player.

DYP appreciates WYD's execution of tactics today. Very effective. Long serves to Ito's BH. She also thinks WYD can do more backspins service returns rather than banana, like long pushes. The young generation in general lack variations on service return.

The level of the forehand determines the level of the player is not old fashioned at all. It has its limitations but I think you will get general agreement amongst all good players that you can only go as far as your footwork and forehand will carry you at the top level. Even the good backhand oriented players tend to fall apart when they face someone who is good enough to sustain forehand bombardment. The backhand wing just can't be so weak that you can be exploited with forehand transition.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Ok i've seen Mima's interview video after the match. She was devastated and in tears. No way the final was faked. Wang Yidi won fair and square.

No doubt about this, when I was first responding I hadn't seen the match. After I watched it, I felt Ito had nothing to bring that would have fixed the score. I do feel that returning long backspin serves with pips is fixable, and she is going to have to make her pivot more aggressive - maybe she just needs more time in the gym. But under the match conditions she was completely outplayed. I also feel the shorter CNT women like Wang Yidi and Sun Yingsha have an advantage that RTK pointed out over the Wang Manyus and Ding Nings in that theory being shorter makes it easier to take the ball earlier naturally and with less arc so Ito's smashing game becomes riskier just naturally.

All that said, Ito still has time to grow a bit stronger and work out a bit harder. She is going to need it.

Jan 2018
This is true, but the final was Ito trying everything she had but it just didn't really work. Maybe she had an off day or something, but people should kill this idea that she wasn't trying hard. You don't pivot to return serves if you are not trying hard.

Well, in the morning show "Sawako's Morning" that aired on 6/1, on the topic of imitation players, Ito says how she'd test various things for matches she has a low percentage of coming back.

In the post-final interview, she wished she could've tried out some stuff more. After following her interviews for so long, it's become clear she would come up with a game plan and then stick to it through and through. For this Hong Kong Open, I get the feeling she wanted to see how far she could push her serve and attack.

Reactions: Vlad Celler
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
Hi guys,
anyone in Europe can watch the stream? It says due to copyright, the stream is not available.
I'm in Slovakia. If there is any TV channel here or in Europe, can you let me know?

Thanks in advance.
Arena šport to vysiela..
But the best thing to do is to download free vpn for your browser and watch streams online..
Set for Germany or France and ITTV and LAOLA will work..

Reactions: quanghuysk
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2011
Read 7 reviews
True, every bit counts. In this case 1st is 1800, 2nd is 1440, a difference of 360 pts.
But to give away all your plays (to be meticulously analyzed) heading into next week's Japan Op, where ALL the top CNT contenders will be there, is not worth the 360 extra pts. There's nothing to gain to duke it out with WYD, a CNT skirmisher (she's NOT going to the Olympics).
Besides, Ito has accomplished her mission of staying ahead of her other 2 competitors. Actually, in one fell swoop, she has made up enough grounds to cover the no World Cup scenario, with only 5 Tournaments.
Just thinking out loud strategically, on my own, nothing implied.
Please, where I can find a table of points giving for matches in tournaments?