Ball Tracking Technology in Table Tennis!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
Looks pretty cool! Hopefully they can add even more features over time. Maybe tracking of edge balls? ;)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017

yups, you can't bet zeio on that :D

but that thread is for China Open and the post from Zeio was overrun by a discussion about China dominance, so I think that this thread could be used for what's written in the subject line.

So the tech is great and the ball tracking stuff does not surprise me so much. What surprises is how on earth they manage to count the spin RPM too? That's crazy
By the way -did someone see how far the ball tracking cameras are located? They are watching all of us... :D

Last edited:
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
Here is the true image as taken from desktop monitor that is integrated to the RigourTV tracking system (Beijing Rigour Tech Ltd. Co.)

tracking_the_ball.jpg

[size=+2]Can you discern the markings on the ball? neither I can.[/size] :mad

Chinese do feed up people with bogus data, I'm afraid :mad:

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Tracking the spin of a small table tennis ball shouldn't be that much of a problem as China has been piloting the monitoring of an entire city using facial recognition.
People's heads don't spin around or move that fast. They are also bigger and have more features.

I seriously doubt all those cameras in China are active or that they have enough processing power to track even a small percentage of people but that is probably all they need to track what they consider dissidents.

As far as tracking TT balls,
Camera frame rates are plenty fast enough now. What I wonder about is how spin is measured. Do the cameras see the labels spinning around or is spin estimated by the deviation of the trajectory due to the Magnus effect?

Tracking all the balls is not as hard as making the robot. I would bet the vision and computer technology will be very good soon. It will be the mechanics that limit the robot's ability.