Help: Need SetUp with Higher Throw.

says Shoo Bre
says Shoo Bre
May 2019
i got stiga dynasty carbon atm and i think the arc is to low and i dont get that mutch spin either. before that i had timo boll alc it had good spin bug kinda low speed. i have also tried zj zlc and that blade was to fast and low spin.
My play style is looping close/middle distance. i like to play spinny balls rather than smash with my bh and especially with my fh.

Iv'e been thinking to change from stiga to zhang jike alc beacuse i have heard that alc blades are good looping blades, first of all what do you think is the best looping blades?, does any one have a good review about zj alc, and would it fit my play style good ? i just want something between zj zlc and timo boll alc with an high arc. Thanks

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You should know that TB ALC, ZJK ALC, TB Spirit and Viscaria are all 95% the same blade. The main differences are the handle and the shape of the blade face. The plies, the thickness of plies, the feel, are 98% the same.

Most people who I have heard compare the TB ALC to the ZJK ALC have said that the ZJK ALC is an almost unnoticeable hair slower than the TB. I am not sure if that is really true. I believe the TB may have been treated with something to make it very slightly harder.

But if you had 20 blades, all the same weight and 5 were ZJK ALC, 5 were TB ALC, 5 TB Spirit and 5 Viscaria, it would be hard to tell them apart aside from the handle feel.

Why do you think the TB ALC was too slow? That is the speed of the blades that most pros use. Was it a light one? Any of those blades, if they are 85 grams or lower will be slower than one that is 88 grams or higher. And, yes, all blades do have weight ranges rather than one specific weight. Because wood was once a living organism and so there is lots of variation.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I also think butterfly is somewhat dirty in that way that they often release very similar blades But just change the name.

Is it possible to change the headline so Will proably more
People answer the question?

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
OP dude, you could do 1000% better with the Donic Person Power Play old school blade, or a thousand others. Ur rubbers and a gazillion other stuff affect the outcome.

Since you say you like to hit from distance, weird as many of those lower throw blades you name are the favorites for loopers from distance - the ball needs some distance to drop then shoot out low.

Maybe you got a bit mixed up on what you want to do. A softer blade and some less firm sponged rubber will make it easier to do what you are trying to do... which I think is control loop instead of power loop like a Ma Long video game simulator.

We get these kinds of thread every week or every 10 minutes on the forums.

Sometimes posters are 10 yr olds with their head stuck up their tail, sometimes it is a 50 yr old requiring the assistance of the local fire department of 13 volunteers to pull the head back outta that crack...

Sometimes the posters are sincerely not knowing and ask with words like the OP post in threads like this.

Sometimes difficult to tell for sure.

Time to consult STRONG BAD.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
What playing level are you? Advanced, intermediate, beginner?

i got stiga dynasty carbon atm and i think the arc is to low and i dont get that mutch spin either. before that i had timo boll alc it had good spin bug kinda low speed. i have also tried zj zlc and that blade was to fast and low spin.
My play style is looping close/middle distance. i like to play spinny balls rather than smash with my bh and especially with my fh.

Iv'e been thinking to change from stiga to zhang jike alc beacuse i have heard that alc blades are good looping blades, first of all what do you think is the best looping blades?, does any one have a good review about zj alc, and would it fit my play style good ? i just want something between zj zlc and timo boll alc with an high arc. Thanks

says Shoo Bre
says Shoo Bre
May 2019
What playing level are you? Advanced, intermediate, beginner?

It's a huge red flag to me whenever people say things like TB ALC is slow. Bro, if this blade is slow, then you need to work on your technique. You might as well get a hard as rock balsa blade and flat hit smash everything.

well that did sound like a good idea thanks

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
why don't you try a limba outer blade, spinnỉer and higher arc. for example: Jun zlc if you don't want to much speed like super ZLC, innerforce ZLC, freitas ALC, apolonia ZLC ....

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
OP dude, you could do 1000% better with the Donic Person Power Play old school blade, or a thousand others. Ur rubbers and a gazillion other stuff affect the outcome.

Since you say you like to hit from distance, weird as many of those lower throw blades you name are the favorites for loopers from distance - the ball needs some distance to drop then shoot out low.

Maybe you got a bit mixed up on what you want to do. A softer blade and some less firm sponged rubber will make it easier to do what you are trying to do... which I think is control loop instead of power loop like a Ma Long video game simulator.

We get these kinds of thread every week or every 10 minutes on the forums.

Sometimes posters are 10 yr olds with their head stuck up their tail, sometimes it is a 50 yr old requiring the assistance of the local fire department of 13 volunteers to pull the head back outta that crack...

Sometimes the posters are sincerely not knowing and ask with words like the OP post in threads like this.

Sometimes difficult to tell for sure.

Time to consult STRONG BAD.

Okay. Lets see what Strong Bad has to say:

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Maybe change to higher arc rubbers.

This actually may be a useful idea. What rubbers do you use?

But it is also hard to tell what would really be best for you without seeing footage of you playing. Is there any way you could upload some footage. One rally would probably be enough. Even a short 15 second video of a few shots may really help people see what would actually be best for you.

This user has no status.
What I have been wondering is... Does throw angle really matter?

If the throw angle is consistent wouldn’t you just adjust your stroke to compensate for how high or low the ball comes out? I feel like after 4 weeks I would adjust to whatever the throw angle of the new equipment is and then it would just become my new normal and I wouldn’t even notice.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews

If the throw angle is consistent wouldn’t you just adjust your stroke to compensate for how high or low the ball comes out? I feel like after 4 weeks I would adjust to whatever the throw angle of the new equipment is and then it would just become my new normal and I wouldn’t even notice.
Trajectory counts for a lot.

Safe spinning players like me value a higher arching setup. It gives me increased safety and consistency. Dont we all need that?

Higher level players who hit hard value a deep penetrating ball that is low and kicks out low. Much more difficult to counter those balls over the ones landing middle depth on table.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Part of what throw angle is about is the ratio between speed and spin. When the ratio is spin/speed, where spin is more of an impact than speed, you will be able to give the ball more of an arc. When the ratio is speed/spin, where speed is the dominant impact, the ball will have a flatter trajectory.

When you can arc the ball more, you can land the ball closer to the net which makes it so you can create wider angles in your shots. When the arc is lower and flatter, you can take the ball deeper and those low shots that land deeper are more lethal and harder to handle. But that lower arc will tend to cut down your ability to make wider angled shots to some extent.

For some people the lower, flatter, more lethal shots are more of a value. For others, the arc and the ability to have more placement options is more valuable. So, to some extent, whether you would rather have one or the other is a personal choice. And a good player can get used to variations on throw angle. But as you are more clear about how you like to play, you will probably have a preference as to what kind of arc you like on your shots.

So, I guess you can decide how important throw angle is for your game.

Last edited:
Reactions: brokenball
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

If you look at the videos and articles on the Tenergy series, you appreciate a bit better what throw angle is about and why it isn't quite the same thing as saying that you just will adjust your angle and everything will be the same if you are an advanced player. The pip configurations tend to affect how you should block and push as well so pip configurations make some things easier and others harder relative to your style.

https://en.butterflymag.com/2015/06/all-about-tenergy-22/

Also, a lot of this assumes you already have sufficiently advanced technique. While I play with generally high arcing rubbers, and have a high arcing loop stroke, I just find Tenergy too fast and expensive for me.

This user has no status.
So... I understand the effect of throw angle during passive play. I can see how that’s an important factor when blocking.

But, during active shots what happens if a player just changes the bat angle and looping trajectory?

If someone with a low throw setup (let’s say Dynasty blade with Mantra H) loops higher upward. Will the ball produce a high spinny arc? Or is it just not practical to have to change the loop technique like that? Or... does the speed to spin ratio generally cause the ball to go too long in that situation?

(Also, interesting article by the way. )

Last edited: