Help: Need SetUp with Higher Throw.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
You can adjust. You just have to understand that there is always a trade off.

Faster, lower arc, longer trajectory makes it harder to do certain things and easier to do other things.

Moderate speed, higher arc rounder trajectory helps you do certain things and makes other things harder.

At a certain point you have to decide what works best for you and how you play.

I also tend to like high arc and will go with spin over speed. I can add the speed fairly easily if I want.

So technique can be adapted to any setup. The issue is, Will a setup make the shots you use as your bread and butter harder or easier.

To me it looks like ML goes for spin over speed in the spin/speed ratio. WLQ definitely went for speed/spin. ZJK also seemed to me to go for spin/speed. Timo: spin/speed. Samsonov: spin/speed. Schlager: speed/spin (with Schlager, part of why he used such a freakin’ fast setup is that he had such amazing touch that he still spun the bleeping hell out of the ball).

Watch their matches. See how they play. See if you can figure out why different things work better for certain players.

Sent from my NSA SpyPhone from Sector 13D-SR13Z74 Sub Level 29X Fort Meade, Maryland

Reactions: BryanY
This user has no status.
It might be that I'm very used to dynasty carbon, but I don't feel the throw angle is too low. I'm using Galaxy Big Dipper on FH with dynasty carbon, and the throw is about medium (ok, maybe a bit lower than medium). Shots are generally very linear, as is expected with tacky rubber on a fast blade. But this is not all bad, lower throw and linear shots means your opponents will have a hard time defending against your attacks, especially close to the table.
If you stay with dynasty carbon, you'll find that it's a very consistent and controllable blade. Even though it's fast, the power output is very proportional to the amount of power you put into your strokes. The sweet spot is also large enough that shot quality is consistent, no matter where the ball lands on the racket.
IMO, dynasty carbon is a good blade to get accustomed to. Totally worth the effort.

Reactions: rbtitco
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
So... I understand the effect of throw angle during passive play. I can see how that’s an important factor when blocking.

But, during active shots what happens if a player just changes the bat angle and looping trajectory?

If someone with a low throw setup (let’s say Dynasty blade with Mantra H) loops higher upward. Will the ball produce a high spinny arc? Or is it just not practical to have to change the loop technique like that? Or... does the speed to spin ratio generally cause the ball to go too long in that situation?

(Also, interesting article by the way. )
It is a great question and I guess the simplest answer is that it is harder especially at high looping speeds to get spin and speed from the stroke path simultaneously.

So the ball will usually not produce an arc as high as Tenergy 05 no. And looping with a more vertical stroke poses a different calculation problem for the intuition. Some people prefer it but I don't. I am used to the ball following the path of my racket with "brush".

Some of it does depend on what range of swing speed the pips deform with mantra and Tenergy. But I can't get into the details now, just assume that it is possible for a rubber to be low throw at one swing speed and high throw at another.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl