Good Japanese scissors for cutting rubbers

This user has no status.
cache.php
i got these ,that i use to cut the lexan car bodies of my rc cars , i havent tried it yet ,because i use a blade and its working fine ,but i will try these on the next rubber

Did these work OK?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Did these work OK?

No...... There are less then average.... Classic scissors are better then this one and cheaper.

I agree with bobpuls. I use something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P0LNRE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This would work well too:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000P0LNRE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The important thing is that the scissors are sharp. And, again, I think you are overthinking the whole thing.

If the cut isn't perfect, it really does not matter much. And once you put edge tape on--if you do--nobody can see the cut.

The tricky part is starting. I saw a few videos where the person started cutting with the handles of the scissors above and below the handle like this:

IMG_2802.jpg

I just don't see how that would work well unless you had a scissors with handles much smaller than the ones I am using.

I was taught to do come from under the handle like this:

IMG_2801.jpg

To start the cut. And once you are a few cuts in, then everything else is easy. I know some guys who leave a little wing near the handle because that makes it easier to cut. But it also gets the rubber to give you more feeling. The excess flap near the handle gives more vibration. I think it actually looks cool. :)

Here is a video of cutting with the scissor handles around the handle of the blade:

You will also notice the guy likes the scissors wet like Der_ but he has a different way of wetting the scissors so he does not get the opportunity to like the rubber and test-taste the glue. :)

Here is a video with someone doing something like what I do. But he does it upside down:

In truth, in one way, this may be better than what I do. I like seeing where the rubber meets the edge of the blade. So I am coming from under the rubber. The big risk is, until you get the feel of it, you can pull the rubber away from the blade at the corner where you start. After a few times you learn how not to do that. The way shown in the video, it would pull the rubber towards the blade. But once you are past the handle, it seems to me you are cutting blind. Whereas, how I do it, I can see the edge of the blade and where it meets the rubber the whole time. :)

But the guy in the video seems to cut fine that way.

Just don't worry about it. You are not going to ruin the rubbers. If that edge comes away from the blade, glue on a business card and slide that between the blade and rubber where the rubber has started to separate and then re-press the rubber to the blade. :)

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
BTW: in those photos where I am holding the blade, the scissors and my racket, you can see the cut that I made when I put on the Rasanter R48 recently. I don't use edge tape, so it is easy to see how, with very little effort, the cut came out fine. Perfect? Nah. But fine.

You also can see how much I have beat those rubbers up since putting them on. hahahah.

Also, also, if you look at the video with the guy with the sprayer and the scissor handles around the blade handle, that is a very thin scissor and the handle is thin. Something like that would be fine. But I like my method. And the handle on my scissors is way to thick for me to start with the scissor handles above and below the racket handle. The cutting edge would be past where you need to start cutting the rubber.

Last edited:
Reactions: Basmundo
This user has no status.
I agree with bobpuls. I use something like this:

This would work well too:

The important thing is that the scissors are sharp. And, again, I think you are overthinking the whole thing.

If the cut isn't perfect, it really does not matter much. And once you put edge tape on--if you do--nobody can see the cut.

The tricky part is starting. I saw a few videos where the person started cutting with the handles of the scissors above and below the handle like this:

View attachment 21609

I just don't see how that would work well unless you had a scissors with handles much smaller than the ones I am using.

I was taught to do come from under the handle like this:

View attachment 21610

To start the cut. And once you are a few cuts in, then everything else is easy. I know some guys who leave a little wing near the handle because that makes it easier to cut. But it also gets the rubber to give you more feeling. The excess flap near the handle gives more vibration. I think it actually looks cool. :)

Here is a video of cutting with the scissor handles around the handle of the blade:

Here is a video with someone doing something like what I do. But he does it upside down:

In truth, in one way, this may be better than what I do. I like seeing the blade and the edge of the blade. So I am coming from under the rubber. The big risk is, until you get the feel of it, you can pull the rubber away from the blade at the corner where you start. After a few times you learn how not to do that. The way shown in the video, it would pull the rubber towards the blade. But once you are past the handle, it seems to me you are cutting blind.

:) But the guy in the video seems to cut fine that way.

Just don't worry about it. You are not going to ruin the rubbers. If that edge comes away from the blade, glue on a business card and slide that between the blade and rubber where the rubber has started to separate and then re-press the rubber to the blade. :)

Hey Carl that is so helpful. Thank you for going to so much trouble with the detail of your post. Rubbers and glue arrived to day so here we go!

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl