• Join our newsletter: 
  • Welcome Guest


    Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast
    Results 301 to 320 of 329

    Thread: Japan Open 2019

    1. Top | #301
      NextLevel is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Nigeria

      Equipment:
      Blade Butterfly Korbel
      Forehand Rubber Fastarc C-1
      Backhand Rubber Fastarc C-1

      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Location
      Somewhere Good in the US
      Posts
      7,737
      Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Liked 11,860 Times in 5,212 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Tempest/Comet View Post
      SYS has beaten the 2019 WTTC Champion, the Silver medalist as well the Bronze medalist, adding to the fray along the way, the top Korean, the top Japanese in one single tournament.
      What's LGL going to do now? ;-)
      Pick the most experienced team, which is what China has traditionally done.

      In any case, Sun Yingsha has no big titles so it will be a huge stretch. She will also be young at the next cycle.
      Last edited by NextLevel; 06-16-2019 at 01:04 PM.
      Cobra Kai TT Exponent - No mercy in this dojo, no matter your rating or the score. All spin, no power or footwork.

    2. The Following 3 Users Like NextLevel's Post:

      kalc (06-16-2019),PatriciaPinheiro (06-16-2019),Vlad Celler (06-16-2019)

    3. Top | #302
      FruitLoop is offline
      says Looping
       
      Senior TTD Member Country: Europe
      FruitLoop's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Butterfly Tomokazu Harimoto Innerforce ALC
      Forehand Rubber Butterfly Dignics 05
      Backhand Rubber Butterfly Dignics 05

      Join Date
      Sep 2018
      Posts
      840
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 532 Times in 326 Posts
      And if she wins almost everything before then and becomes the inarguable world number 1? Always a possibility although slim.

    4. Top | #303
      NextLevel is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Nigeria

      Equipment:
      Blade Butterfly Korbel
      Forehand Rubber Fastarc C-1
      Backhand Rubber Fastarc C-1

      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Location
      Somewhere Good in the US
      Posts
      7,737
      Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Liked 11,860 Times in 5,212 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by FruitLoop View Post
      And if she wins almost everything before then and becomes the inarguable world number 1? Always a possibility although slim.
      The thing is that at 19, for people to feel comfortable putting the pressure on you, you have to have a serious track record of doing amazing things. She didn't beat Wang Manyu in the WTTC. When you look at a 3 year or 4 year period, she is not going to stack up with the Liu Shiwens and Ding Ning's. The big matches count. The coaches also know what these players do on a daily basis so it would take a lot for Sun Yingsha to get the #1 internal ranking. But no doubt if someone wants to take the risk , they can go for it. For the Chinese. You don't get World #1 by winning small events. To them, FZD is still ultimately an unproven quantity.

    5. Top | #304
      drunix80 is offline
      says Warp Speed
       
      Senior TTD Member Country: South Korea

      Equipment:
      Blade Butterfly Zhang Jike ALC
      Forehand Rubber Xiom Omega IV Pro
      Backhand Rubber Xiom Omega V Pro

      Join Date
      Oct 2016
      Location
      Seoul
      Posts
      867
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 929 Times in 464 Posts
      Sad FZD lost after breaking past ML. The mental game is still not there yet. Given ML is a sure shot choice for Tokyo, the second choice is now surely up for grabs between XX and FZD. Will be interesting to see how it goes. Next up in the tour is Korean Open. Hope it is not too late for FZD to get his act right.

    6. Top | #305
      Michal_Z is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Slovak Republic
      Michal_Z's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Gewo Alexander Valuch
      Forehand Rubber Gewo Nexxus EL Pro 48
      Backhand Rubber Gewo Nexxus XT Pro 48

      Join Date
      Jun 2011
      Location
      Slovakia
      Posts
      2,907
      Reviews
      Read 7 Reviews
      Liked 1,169 Times in 659 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Atas Newton View Post
      This had to be saved for the future generations. Watch with subtitles

      Quote Originally Posted by zeio View Post
      Keep a straight face when watching this.

      I think this is tactics from ITTF ...
      They want to force players to learn english more so they can do interviews in english directly

    7. The Following 2 Users Like Michal_Z's Post:

      bobpuls (06-16-2019),ttmonster (06-16-2019)

    8. Top | #306
      Janard is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Advanced TTD Member Country: Singapore


      Join Date
      Nov 2018
      Posts
      282
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 391 Times in 167 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by NextLevel View Post
      The thing is that at 19, for people to feel comfortable putting the pressure on you, you have to have a serious track record of doing amazing things. She didn't beat Wang Manyu in the WTTC. When you look at a 3 year or 4 year period, she is not going to stack up with the Liu Shiwens and Ding Ning's. The big matches count. The coaches also know what these players do on a daily basis so it would take a lot for Sun Yingsha to get the #1 internal ranking. But no doubt if someone wants to take the risk , they can go for it. For the Chinese. You don't get World #1 by winning small events. To them, FZD is still ultimately an unproven quantity.
      I will agree with you but I also sometimes wonder why FZD gets so much trust? Technically, he only has the World Cup to his name out of the three TT 'holy trinity', which also happens to be the 'lowest-ranked' among the trio. Likewise, WR#1 seems to be a mere reference for the CNT (LSW is a good example during the 2016 Rio selection), particularly in the face of the new ranking system which prides participation above all. No doubt he was a standout star among his generation in the early/mid 2010s but it seems like the rest are catching up (or have overtaken?). So, what really sets FZD aside from his peers? A naturally domineering presence? Well-roundedness?

    9. Top | #307
      NextLevel is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Master TTD Member Country: Nigeria

      Equipment:
      Blade Butterfly Korbel
      Forehand Rubber Fastarc C-1
      Backhand Rubber Fastarc C-1

      Join Date
      Oct 2014
      Location
      Somewhere Good in the US
      Posts
      7,737
      Reviews
      Read 16 Reviews
      Liked 11,860 Times in 5,212 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Janard View Post
      I will agree with you but I also sometimes wonder why FZD gets so much trust? Technically, he only has the World Cup to his name out of the three TT 'holy trinity', which also happens to be the 'lowest-ranked' among the trio. Likewise, WR#1 seems to be a mere reference for the CNT (LSW is a good example during the 2016 Rio selection), particularly in the face of the new ranking system which prides participation above all. No doubt he was a standout star among his generation in the early/mid 2010s but it seems like the rest are catching up (or have overtaken?). So, what really sets FZD aside from his peers? A naturally domineering presence? Well-roundedness?
      1) His overall technique is excellent.
      2) He is more powerful than most players on any given day.
      3) His consistency vs. foreign opposition. Yes, Ovtcharov, Harimoto and Calderano have beaten him once, but who else really?
      4) The example of ML and the fact that ML is the only one that Fan consistently loses to.

      I don't think there is anyone on the CNT that evokes more fear in foreigners than Fan (other than ML and in some cases, more than ML because backhand dominant players can trouble ML but they don't faze Fan usually - his issues are more with lefties). XX just has too many bad losses to foreigners now to command the same absolute fear. For Fan at least, the players were all above a certain threshold. For XX, you really shouldn't be losing to CCY, Gauzy, LJH, Koki Niwa, JWJ etc. That said, a lot of that came from the fundamental imbalance of Xu Xin's game so who knows?

    10. The Following 3 Users Like NextLevel's Post:

      Janard (06-16-2019),kalc (06-17-2019),phorkyas (06-16-2019)

    11. Top | #308
      yogi_bear is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Equipment Expert
      Master TTD Member Country: Philippines
      yogi_bear's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Xiom Feel AX; Stiga Nostalgia All+
      Forehand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 NEO Provincial
      Backhand Rubber Xiom Sigma II Pro; Stiga Mantra H

      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Location
      Philippines
      Posts
      2,662
      Reviews
      Read 71 Reviews
      Liked 1,240 Times in 782 Posts
      Where are they getting all these translators?? Lol

    12. Top | #309
      tropical is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Senior TTD Member Country: United States

      Equipment:
      Blade Butterfly Timo Boll All+
      Forehand Rubber Rakza 7 Soft
      Backhand Rubber Butterfly Long II or 388D OX

      Join Date
      Oct 2012
      Location
      Santa Clara
      Posts
      770
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 463 Times in 269 Posts
      I lost hope in XX only to see him so dominant against LYJ in this tournament. But the Taiwanese kid was so talented. He beat SW easily and made him look pretty bad. I think it is still a bit early for LGL to decide who will represent China in 2020.

    13. The Following 2 Users Like tropical's Post:

      anchorschmidt (06-16-2019),Michal_Z (06-16-2019)

    14. Top | #310
      Zaid323918 is offline
      says No status
       
      Advanced TTD Member Country: United States

      Equipment:
      Blade Butterfly Timo Boll ALC
      Forehand Rubber BH: Victas V>15 Extra
      Backhand Rubber FH: Sanwei Target National

      Join Date
      Dec 2016
      Posts
      375
      Reviews
      Read 17 Reviews
      Liked 144 Times in 92 Posts
      What was the last tournament FZD has won?

    15. Top | #311
      BlipBlop575 is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: Romania

      Equipment:
      Blade Butterfly Jun Mizutani Super ZLC
      Forehand Rubber Butterfly Tenergy 25 FX
      Backhand Rubber Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX

      Join Date
      Dec 2018
      Posts
      95
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 51 Times in 34 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by tropical View Post
      I lost hope in XX only to see him so dominant against LYJ in this tournament. But the Taiwanese kid was so talented. He beat SW easily and made him look pretty bad. I think it is still a bit early for LGL to decide who will represent China in 2020.
      He wasn't that dominant. The only set that was one sided was the 4th where he won 11-3 but the rest were very close.

    16. The Following User Likes BlipBlop575's Post:

      kalc (06-17-2019)

    17. Top | #312
      BlipBlop575 is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: Romania

      Equipment:
      Blade Butterfly Jun Mizutani Super ZLC
      Forehand Rubber Butterfly Tenergy 25 FX
      Backhand Rubber Butterfly Tenergy 05 FX

      Join Date
      Dec 2018
      Posts
      95
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 51 Times in 34 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Zaid323918 View Post
      What was the last tournament FZD has won?
      Asian Cup

    18. The Following 2 Users Like BlipBlop575's Post:

      Nemo (06-17-2019),Takkyu_wa_inochi (06-16-2019)

    19. Top | #313
      Hysteresis is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: Australia

      Equipment:
      Blade Yasaka Ma Lin Soft Carbon
      Forehand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3
      Backhand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 Neo

      Join Date
      Apr 2019
      Posts
      49
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 48 Times in 22 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by NextLevel View Post
      1) His overall technique is excellent.
      Quote Originally Posted by NextLevel View Post
      2) He is more powerful than most players on any given day.
      3) His consistency vs. foreign opposition. Yes, Ovtcharov, Harimoto and Calderano have beaten him once, but who else really?
      4) The example of ML and the fact that ML is the only one that Fan consistently loses to.

      I don't think there is anyone on the CNT that evokes more fear in foreigners than Fan (other than ML and in some cases, more than ML because backhand dominant players can trouble ML but they don't faze Fan usually - his issues are more with lefties). XX just has too many bad losses to foreigners now to command the same absolute fear. For Fan at least, the players were all above a certain threshold. For XX, you really shouldn't be losing to CCY, Gauzy, LJH, Koki Niwa, JWJ etc. That said, a lot of that came from the fundamental imbalance of Xu Xin's game so who knows?


      To add to that, he also did 11:0 the last marvellous 12. The dedicated internal selection competition.

      Well roundedness/overall technique matters alot. It's really hard to strategically exploit a weakness in his game, because he doesn't have glaring weaknesses.

      He is quick in the short game on par with the likes of Harimoto and LGY, strong on the power game on par with LJK, increasingly solid in the short push/control game on par with Ma Long and overall physicality in both speed and power parts of the game, pretty much unrivalled by his peers.

      So even if you found a weakness in his game, you'd REALLY have to work at it, he wouldn't just fall apart because you'd only be marginally stronger at it than him at that element of the game. That makes him very difficult, especially for a non-chinese player to beat.
      Last edited by Hysteresis; 06-17-2019 at 01:18 AM.

    20. The Following 4 Users Like Hysteresis's Post:

      anchorschmidt (06-17-2019),kalc (06-17-2019),lVegita (4 Weeks Ago),Takkyu_wa_inochi (06-17-2019)

    21. Top | #314
      CoolPug7 is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Established TTD Member Country: Thailand


      Join Date
      Jun 2018
      Posts
      106
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 13 Times in 10 Posts
      ITTF: We're getting them from Free translators.com

    22. Top | #315
      will_999 is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: United States

      Equipment:
      Forehand Rubber Yasaka Mark V
      Backhand Rubber Yasaka Mark V

      Join Date
      Apr 2019
      Location
      Tempe
      Posts
      40
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
      FZD playing ML was a totally different animal when playing XX. He made just too many errors on backhand and service returns. If he played like how he played against ML, then no one can beat him. FZD needs to be more consistent before he can really ascend the throne.
      Congrats to XX. I am surprised how he sometime looses to non CNT players. Lack of focus during the initial games?
      Looks like anyone on CNT can beat anyone on any given Sunday.
      XX is probably the best doubles player out there, because of the right-left combination and also mixed doubles.

    23. The Following User Likes will_999's Post:

      phorkyas (06-17-2019)

    24. Top | #316
      igorponger is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Advanced TTD Member Country: Former Soviet Union


      Join Date
      Jan 2012
      Posts
      201
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 64 Times in 46 Posts
      https://www.ittf.com/ittf-world-tour...our-standings/

      FALCK Mattias is booked for the ITTF Grand Final. Happy boy he is. Your money chunk would be some 5,000 USD just to enter the event.

    25. Top | #317
      Hysteresis is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: Australia

      Equipment:
      Blade Yasaka Ma Lin Soft Carbon
      Forehand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3
      Backhand Rubber DHS Hurricane 3 Neo

      Join Date
      Apr 2019
      Posts
      49
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 48 Times in 22 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by will_999 View Post
      I am surprised how he sometime looses to non CNT players. Lack of focus during the initial games?
      Xu Xin's problem is that his preferred style of play is big swings from behind the table. This also happens to be, comparatively, where top European players are also strong. (i vaguely remember some coach or another complaining about this as a part of Xu Xin's play being outdated)

      The entire CNT has a very strong "first three balls"(serve receive and first attack) sort of play, due to the team's emphasis on fundamentals. This is often used to smother less fundamentally sound players and makes CNT members difficult to beat, even without specific research on players.

      While is is perfectly capable, indeed one of the best, at this, Xu Xin doesn't always use this to his full advantage (maybe as a part of showmanship?), and with his inherent weakness on the backhand side from being a penholder he can be vulnerable to upsets.

      He has, however, cleaned up his RPB a lot of late. I think it takes away a bit from XX to not mention that he looked like a different animal out there too. It looked like FZD was constantly surprised at one more shot coming back with quality than he expected on quite alot of rallies, especially from XX RPB.

    26. The Following User Likes Hysteresis's Post:

      will_999 (4 Weeks Ago)

    27. Top | #318
      John V Nerro is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: Malaysia

      Equipment:
      Blade DHS 4 Stars
      Forehand Rubber Hurricane 2
      Backhand Rubber DHS G888

      Join Date
      Dec 2018
      Location
      Malaysia
      Posts
      5
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
      So the net ball was because of the table quality?

      Quote Originally Posted by zeio View Post
      This Victas table is really something...

      I've lost count of the number of serves that were sent right into the net.

    28. Top | #319
      alas26 is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: United States

      Equipment:
      Blade Nittaku Acoustic
      Forehand Rubber Yasaka Shining Dragon
      Backhand Rubber Yasaka Rakza 7

      Join Date
      Jul 2018
      Posts
      50
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Hysteresis View Post
      He has, however, cleaned up his RPB a lot of late. I think it takes away a bit from XX to not mention that he looked like a different animal out there too. It looked like FZD was constantly surprised at one more shot coming back with quality than he expected on quite alot of rallies, especially from XX RPB.
      What do you mean it takes away from XX? Like, it takes away from his showmanship style?

      He definitely is a different beast and his RPB is really starting to come together. It’s really fun to watch him!



      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    29. Top | #320
      usualsuspect is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Senior TTD Member Country: United States

      Equipment:
      Blade Stiga Dynasty Carbon
      Forehand Rubber yinhe/galaxy Big Dipper
      Backhand Rubber Palio AK47 Yellow

      Join Date
      Apr 2018
      Location
      Atlanta, US
      Posts
      527
      Reviews
      Read 1 Reviews
      Liked 323 Times in 182 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Michal_Z View Post
      I think this is tactics from ITTF ...
      They want to force players to learn english more so they can do interviews in english directly
      Or maybe they want to see more smiles from the winning players during interview.
      I feel like all the CNT players being interviewed are holding back laughters. Just look at XX's face.
      I'm guessing the Chinese translation is pretty broken.

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    Log in or Register
    BACK TO TOP