Ito Mima at 5 years old

This user has no status.
I can see how people find this ammusing, but it still also sickens me.
A 5 year old doesn't know what's going on, gets dragged to such a show and for some reason a grown man is screaming like a mofo at her when he wins points in a game.
The reality is, the human mind is fragile and call me a party pooper, a sissy or what not, but some "small" experiences like a grown up shouting at 5-year-old-you can cause forms of trauma that may or may not develop into stay for years or decades and affect future emotional development, because the brain doesn't know what you just did wrong and generally what's going on.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
something relevant popped up on my facebook feed a few days back ... I have always believed physical abuse and emotional abuse are at par in affecting young kids development detrimentally ..... https://nypost.com/2017/11/02/brain...HAFUshQmzQZVcRPAQFi6rS9H-rJU7ij32mHXxqHBVaVvU

unfortunately it keeps happening all over the world , we are calling this one out because it happened in national tv .. but don't you think the same thing is going on in every household where parents scream at each other in front of their kids and at kids for no good reason ...
I can see how people find this ammusing, but it still also sickens me.
A 5 year old doesn't know what's going on, gets dragged to such a show and for some reason a grown man is screaming like a mofo at her when he wins points in a game.
The reality is, the human mind is fragile and call me a party pooper, a sissy or what not, but some "small" experiences like a grown up shouting at 5-year-old-you can cause forms of trauma that may or may not develop into stay for years or decades and affect future emotional development, because the brain doesn't know what you just did wrong and generally what's going on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
unfortunately it keeps happening all over the world , we are calling this one out because it happened in national tv .. but don't you think the same thing is going on in every household where parents scream at each other in front of their kids and at kids for no good reason ...

Yes, I absolutely do.

To be completely honest I think the majority of people who become parents shouldn't be parents. Most parents don't have their own lives figured out when they get children. Either they are financially not well enough off to properly provide for children, and/or they are mentally and/or emotionally not ready.
I don't have data on this right now, but I am pretty sure emotional immaturity / lack of self control is one of the biggest problems here.

That leads to a lot of neglect or abuse. It's just that many forms and levels of abuse are often considered "not so bad" "unproblematic" and calling it out makes you overly sensitive and what not.

This topic goes so deep and I can hardly scratch on my thoughts on this topic, but let's just stop it here ...Rant is now over, lol

This user has no status.
As a parent, this is very true. ACE can have major impact on kids. Nevertheless, we do have to acknowledge that no parent is perfect and most kids don't grow up in a perfect environment. I wouldn't really go as far to say Ito was somehow scarred from appearing on that show though. It's a one off event and Japanese grow up with that sort of humor which Westerners can sometimes find irritating.

I don't think people are unsympathetic towards imperfect parenthood (not that perfect parenthood can even exist).

The problem is in this case, the sheer... unnecessity of it that bothers me.

It's one thing for parents to argue in front of their child. Couples argue, it's just something that's going to happen, ofttimes it happens in front of their kids. Sometimes parents are disproportionately snappy to their children in the moment, we are all imperfect.

My problem is that this is something done by people who should know better, in a situation where they are not being pushed into a slip up by the pressures of life or whatever.

But it's one thing to not be a perfect parent, and another one to scare a child for something so.... trivial... as profit and entertainment.

Reactions: Nemo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
this is really crazy to put that much pressure on a 5-year old, when she's crying. Maybe this is normal in Japanese culture, but feels weird to me and I definitely would not put my kids through it

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I have seen how kids that age are trained to be acrobats. When I was in the circus a few of the circus families had 2 of the Russian acrobats training their girls. These kids were 5-6 years old. The trainers would put the kids in extremely deep stretches and stand on them while the kids screamed bloody murder. I am confident what I saw was exponentially worse than what is in the video with Ito.

Some parents try to live vicariously through their kids. Try and get their kids to do all the things they had hoped they would be able to do. Some parents try to monetize their kids.

Any time you see a childhood actor on a TV show or in a movie, there is at least a decent amount of this in the background.

Kids being challenged and allowed to step up to challenges, I think that can be good. Kids being forced or coerced into it, not so good. There is a fine line. In this video, the parent does not seem to be the problem. The guy on the other side of the table was scaring the kid. He knew it. And as soon as he saw it was working, he did it every chance he got.

If the parent was thinking straight, he may have gone over to the guy and said, "any more of that behavior after the points and you are going to have some problems." He may have gone to the show hosts and said the same. It was fine to console his kid. But without making it so the guy behaved civilly, the situation turned into something I don't think the parent wanted or anticipated. And the hosts of the show should really have been on top of what the guy was doing given the age and fragility of Ito.

And it isn't like their audience was entertained in a positive way by the guy making Ito cry.

When my kid was little, my wife would stop me from stepping in when the kids would cause problems with each other. She would watch and see if they could work it out. If things got out of hand, then one of us would try and bring some sense of order. The response needed to be fair to both kids. But there were a few times when an adult stepped in and treated my kid unfairly. You better believe, I did not let that go. In this instance, the parent and the hosts of the show really should have dealt with the guy ASAP. Nobody looked good as a result of him making Ito cry.

But, I am going to venture a guess that, if the parents had predicted that this guy would behave in a way that scared their kid and made her cry, they probably would have taken a pass on this appearance.

One thing that makes me think this is not fully on the parents even if they did not address the issue properly as it unfolded is, Ito likely would not be together and successful if her parents showed a consistent pattern of causing situations like this one for their kid. If the kid consistently suffered emotional abuse as a result of the parents, no matter how much talent, she would not be quite where she is.

Like, a lot of those childhood actors who are extremely successful as kids but pushed in an abusive way, they become totally messed up human beings by the time they are young adults. Drugs, depression, etc. Child prodigy athletes have the same happen no matter how good they are. Ito doesn't seem to suffer from inner demons in that way. At least, not as far as I can tell.

But the issue is rampant even in circumstances when it cannot be seen.

Last edited:
Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Its a PR stunt
the PR manager gets the kid prodigy onto these shows, and they get the attention of the public
Ai didn't get rich from playing TT, she got rich by being a public figure.

Ai crying made her famous