Suggest some new names for Adam to use in his commentary

says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
Yay for Adam. He's bringing good insights, and these days more often than not manages to contain his overenthusiasm as not to interfere too much with the actual game while still adding colour and depth to it.

He tended to go over the top quite often a while ago, I don't see much of that anymore. He's always known his stuff, but I think he's maturing further and further in his TT factual knowledge and tactical insight. Added to that, he's so respectful and seems to have a very good standing with most if not all of the pro players he's bound to run into frequently. That's not an easy thing, I believe, because of language and cultural barriers. Props to Adam for effort and result.

Even so, I wouldn't miss that "dictator" admiration meme.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
Well, you might have a point there. But maybe keep in mind that meaning of words always change over time. From negative to positive and vice versa. So sometimes it´s good to keep this in mind, since negativity works very subtile.
When the Nazis took over my beautiful country at first they didn´t setup concentration camps from day one, instead they operated slowly bit for bit to find acceptance for their daily dosage of hate and then they gradually went up. This can also be found nowadays. Just look around.

And since hate and negativity work very subtile i rather have something like this in mind:

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
Watch your words; they become actions.
Watch your actions; they become habits.
Watch your habits; they become character.
Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

1 <3
[Emoji2]

View attachment 19286

I see that some words have different weights for different people, and, although “The Dictator” thing doesn’t bother me, I can clearly understand that it can affect others, and even mix things up for younger people watching (like thinking “Oh, he was a dictator? Was he as good as Ma Long?”), and that is bad.

I understand your point.

Also, cannot argue with a Yoda post.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2018
What is the opinion nowadays, is he a good commentator? If he is and wants to improve, then I am sure he will appreciate to get some feedback on the nicknames. Most games I find on youtube are shortened to only show the points anyway, then the commentary makes no sense. At times it is great to have good commentary though, and even spice it up a little by inviting a player to comment too. Unfortunately in many cases the commentary is really boring and useless though.

About Adam, I think he does such a good job, be it commentating, interviewing or promoting. I actually get bothered when it is another commentator on the game. It is just obvious that he really loves table tennis. In my opinion, he adds a lot to the sport.

As for highlights replays, I think I don't "absorb" the game as much as watching the full thing, so the matches I really want to see, I tend to go on ITTV to get the full version. Sadly, the lack of time makes me watch more the highlights, though.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
FAN Zhendong - "TOM"

The FAN TOM

MV5BODEyOTEzMTk2NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjI4NDM3Mw@@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: will_999
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
The Antichist. The Ladykiller. The Zodiac Spinner. Herr Flick. Daddy Longlegs. The Spiderwoman. The Blue Angel. Agent Orange. The Willing Sinner.

It’s not that hard to come up with cool sounding fun nicknames. As long as you don’t bother a second thought as to their meaning. Or more, their significance and connotation.

Clever. As any fool should be. Yet a fool should be more than clever; some wisdom is required too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
About Adam, I think he does such a good job, be it commentating, interviewing or promoting. I actually get bothered when it is another commentator on the game. It is just obvious that he really loves table tennis. In my opinion, he adds a lot to the sport.

It's a culture thing. Where Bobrow is from, making an ass out of yourself is perfectly acceptable and a means of drawing admiration. Where I come from, behaving like a grown-up is valued.

Personally, his commentary drives me insane. Needless whooping and hollering, inane commentary, pointless asides and attention seeking joking.

See what I mean? It's a culture thing.

Reactions: Janard
says + Drinkhall Powerspin Carbon with Aurus Prime and Omega...
says + Drinkhall Powerspin Carbon with Aurus Prime and Omega...
Aug 2017
Read 4 reviews
One of the best chinese DotA players ever, Xiao8, is called The Dictator in Chinese media... Also called The Director. Both sound corny and Americanised

Finally I found someone who plays dota as well as table-tennis, hard to find

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
It's a culture thing. Where Bobrow is from, making an ass out of yourself is perfectly acceptable and a means of drawing admiration. Where I come from, behaving like a grown-up is valued.

Personally, his commentary drives me insane. Needless whooping and hollering, inane commentary, pointless asides and attention seeking joking.

highlighted the keyword. It's not a culture thing, it's a preference thing. Either that or your culture doesn't recognize any kind of comic performance and showmanship.

Reactions: lVegita and Nemo
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
One of the best chinese DotA players ever, Xiao8, is called The Dictator in Chinese media... Also called The Director. Both sound corny and Americanised

The Director, yes. The Dictator, no.

All references to "The Dictator" that I could find are in English. Couldn't come up with one in Chinese. One poster claims "The Dictator" actually started as a mistake.

OTOH, "the Director" started as a meme and is related to the backstory about how Xiao8 "orchestrated" a plot with 3 other members to drive another long-time member out of the team.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
highlighted the keyword. It's not a culture thing, it's a preference thing. Either that or your culture doesn't recognize any kind of comic performance and showmanship.

Just a few thoughts:

1. Personally, my culture is Australian, with an English background. My preferences tend to align with those of other Australians. Personally, I have more in common with other Australians rather than Indians, Greeks or Vietnamese. My taste in curry is milder than the average Indian, I prefer beer to ouzo, I don't like motorbikes as much as the Vietnamese. These are all my preferences which are consistent with my culture.

2. Culture is real. Australian culture is real. Having said, not all Australians like the same thing. Some of us do like loud and obnoxious screaming into the microphone at sporting events. However, even with the increasing Americanisation of the entire globe, most of us still prefer a more considered approach to sports commentary.

3. Australians do have a sense of humour and are sometimes inclined to showmanship. Not often, however.

What is the difference between yoghurt and Australia?
Yoghurt has some culture.

Reactions: Atas Newton
The Director, yes. The Dictator, no.

All references to "The Dictator" that I could find are in English. Couldn't come up with one in Chinese. One poster claims "The Dictator" actually started as a mistake.

OTOH, "the Director" started as a meme and is related to the backstory about how Xiao8 "orchestrated" a plot with 3 other members to drive another long-time member out of the team.

I feel you