A good custom setup for someone who is COMPLETELY new

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
Hello, I have checked out a lot of the blades available on multiple websites and done my research on what kind of blade is well suited for myself. However, I've always wondered: What kind of blade and rubber setup is good for someone who has never touched a table tennis ball before? I'm wanting to teach one of my friends the bare basics of table tennis, and I want them to have a better start than I did.

I started with those hard bat, recreational pimples out things; you know what I'm talking about. I worked with those things always thinking "Man, do the pros play with this stuff?" and after a year of staying with the same thing, I finally realized that people make their own paddles with rubbers and blades.

I was thinking I could start them out with a Stiga Allaround Classic with Yasaka Mark V rubber on the forehand and backhand.

Does anyone have any other sort of proposition as to what a good setup would be?
Keep in mind this is for someone that has NEVER touched a table tennis paddle, ball or table in their life.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 3 reviews
There are common all round - atacking rubbers and blades. But the most important thing is persistence.

### My Story
For example I started to play table tennis 14 years ago. I had played for 5 years with teacher/school team/tournament. After attending university I didn't play like 6-7 years. Now I am playing table tennis for 3 years. I always regret that I had quit that long. Now I am blaming equipment, environment etc.
### End Of My Story

Get a common rubber and play/learn/have fun without quitting.

Sent from Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
In our club we have a simple setup for beginners, I think it is Joola P-All + 2x Joola Zack. For an even more inexpensive setup, I suggest Yinhe N9s + 2x Palio AK47 Red. Other than this, any All or All+ blade + any All or All+ classic (non tensor) rubber would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
I suggest for the backhand, Double Fish long pips OX.

This may help your friend to not waste a lot of time.

A lot of good info here. Read the lengthy Intro, 5-10 minutes, well worth your time. Then you can come back here and make a better decision.

https://m.facebook.com/NorthLittleRockTableTennisGroup/

A good Coaching source for inverted rubber and long pips players.

Free detailed step by step coaching videos available at:

YouTube yangyang TT

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC10OPVuU4Ttsu1a9lW5r4SgQ

This user has no status.
In our club we have a simple setup for beginners, I think it is Joola P-All + 2x Joola Zack. For an even more inexpensive setup, I suggest Yinhe N9s + 2x Palio AK47 Red. Other than this, any All or All+ blade + any All or All+ classic (non tensor) rubber would work.
+1 for N9s or Sanwei M8 blade but the AK-47 Red are too bouncy and fast. Instead 2 729/Friendship generic rubbers would be better for a starter.

The Stiga Allaround Classic with Yasaka Mark V is a good compination but on the "expensive" side of a starter bat.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hello, I have checked out a lot of the blades available on multiple websites and done my research on what kind of blade is well suited for myself. However, I've always wondered: What kind of blade and rubber setup is good for someone who has never touched a table tennis ball before? I'm wanting to teach one of my friends the bare basics of table tennis, and I want them to have a better start than I did.

I started with those hard bat, recreational pimples out things; you know what I'm talking about. I worked with those things always thinking "Man, do the pros play with this stuff?" and after a year of staying with the same thing, I finally realized that people make their own paddles with rubbers and blades.

I was thinking I could start them out with a Stiga Allaround Classic with Yasaka Mark V rubber on the forehand and backhand.

Does anyone have any other sort of proposition as to what a good setup would be?
Keep in mind this is for someone that has NEVER touched a table tennis paddle, ball or table in their life.

Your flag says USA. If that is accurate, go to this website:

http://www.colestt.com

- Choose combos.

- Select Galaxy 896 blade.

- Choose Dawei 2008XP rubber for both sides. Choose either 2.0 or 2.2 for thickness.

- You may as well choose a racket case. I would get elliptical.

- In the line that says "extra instructions", put "Blade Sealing".

==

It seems like it is outrageously inexpensive. This is an excellent setup even though it costs only about $36.00 without the racket case. This will be as good as anything for a starting player. I have a few extras of these that I will give to friends to use if they don't have a racket. But I could play with that setup and be totally fine.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
European or Japanese equipment like Stiga Allround Classic and Mark V are good. But they are not any better than the Galaxy 896 with Dawei 2008XP. But the Chinese setup I just recommended costs a lot less; for the whole setup it costs less than 1 Mark V rubber; it costs less than just the Stiga Allround Classic blade; it costs notably less than 1/3 the price of Stiga Allround Classic with 2 Mark V rubbers.

- $121.00 for Stiga Allround Classic with 2 Mark V
vs
-$36.00 for Galaxy 896 with 2 Dawei 2008XP.

The Dawei rubbers will wear out a tiny bit faster than Mark V. But you can buy 4 2008XPs for the price of 1 Mark V. :)

As a first setup, you cannot beat what I posted. Which is also known on the forum as the Der_Echte Special. :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
European or Japanese equipment like Stiga Allround Classic and Mark V are good. But they are not any better than the Galaxy 896 with Dawei 2008XP. But the Chinese setup I just recommended costs a lot less; for the whole setup it costs less than 1 Mark V rubber; it costs less than just the Stiga Allround Classic blade; it costs notably less than 1/3 the price of Stiga Allround Classic with 2 Mark V rubbers.

vs

The Dawei rubbers will wear out a tiny bit faster than Mark V. But you can buy 4 2008XPs for the price of 1 Mark V. :)

As a first setup, you cannot beat what I posted. Which is also known on the forum as the Der_Echte Special. :)

What a nice idea! They have a drop-down list that you can select the rubbers and blades for different combos. There's also a combo with N11s and two Dawei rubbers, that should be quite good as well. I wish they made something similar with all the similar tensor rubbers out there as well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
What a nice idea! They have a drop-down list that you can select the rubbers and blades for different combos. There's also a combo with N11s and two Dawei rubbers, that should be quite good as well. I wish they made something similar with all the similar tensor rubbers out there as well.

You can also get a bh long pips OX Dawei 388D1 regular version for $10 there.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
SANWEI M8 with T88 Hand Assemble ITTF Approved High Quality Table Tennis Racket/ ping pong Racket Send Cover case
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/ceEkIrvA

Or yasaka sweden classic/extra with yinhe 9000.

Don’t think over, just buy this.. done. Thanks me later

Don’t buy n9s with ak47 red, no sense!

This user has no status.

vs

:)

I would also consider the $36 option Carl has referred to here. I do want to note, however, that the Stiga+Mark V is only $85, shipped, at TableTennis11.

—Tim

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
Don’t buy mark v, you just wasting your money

People in here always recommended mark v but they actually hate it. Mark v good only in speed glue era and celluloid ball. You instead buy cheap chinese that have more spin than mark v and cost less. Don’t throwing your money on this mark v no sense

I can play better just with cheap chinese rubber even win with my friend that used tensor and have a good skill.

My advice, don’t overthink it. Or carl advice before

Yasaka sweden classic, donic Appelgren, xiom allround. Sanwei m8 with t88 that i recommend.. or with chinese rubber like yinhe 9000/lkt xp/lkt xt/dawei 2008

And you good to go to develop your first tabletennis

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
UpSideDownCarl said:

For the record, the Der_Echte Special is a NEW Galaxy 896 blade ($16) a NEW XP2008 rubber for BH, and a recycled familiar FH rubber (Which OP seems not to have)

That would leave it to be a new 896 with both sides XP2008 rubber. That is a Buster Combo, but what the heck. Carl gave an effective answer that costs little money. Cole does it right and is there to serve.

Middle of the road for speed/spin and high on control. Unfortunately, until players play some and get equipment experience, this is not so very instinctively known.

OP will not go wrong with Buster Combo for first bat, that bat has possibilities for a player to learn every stroke given coaching.

With no coaching, it really doesn't matter a lot. Play with what you enjoy, your strokes, movement, control of impact zone and a gazillion other things would be jacked up anyway, so enjoy the ride.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2019
For the record, the Der_Echte Special is a NEW Galaxy 896 blade ($16) a NEW XP2008 rubber for BH, and a recycled familiar FH rubber (Which OP seems not to have)

That would leave it to be a new 896 with both sides XP2008 rubber. That is a Buster Combo, but what the heck. Carl gave an effective answer that costs little money. Cole does it right and is there to serve.

Middle of the road for speed/spin and high on control. Unfortunately, until players play some and get equipment experience, this is not so very instinctively known.

OP will not go wrong with Buster Combo for first bat, that bat has possibilities for a player to learn every stroke given coaching.

With no coaching, it really doesn't matter a lot. Play with what you enjoy, your strokes, movement, control of impact zone and a gazillion other things would be jacked up anyway, so enjoy the ride.

Agreed. You have the answer. Just pick one from our advise and let us know what you decide

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews

Yeah. I was too lazy to explain the recycled rubber part. And for someone wanting a NEW racket for a beginner, there is no need for finding an old, used tensor like Aurus to put oil on and put on the FH. :)

Der_Echte Special option #2: 2008XP on both sides. :)

Reactions: ttmonster
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Yeah. I was too lazy to explain the recycled rubber part. And for someone wanting a NEW racket for a beginner, there is no need for finding an old, used tensor like Aurus to put oil on and put on the FH. :)

Der_Echte Special option #2: 2008XP on both sides. :)

I was gunna suggest Cole ad a "Der_Echte" option, but now I see on his website that he made up several terms different specials - a very good idea I believe.

He has an option called "Budget Looper" that is basically Chinese equipment very suitable to learn a looping and allround game.

He charges $7 in USA for anything larger than 2 rubbers... USPS priority mail. I used to get stuff from him in an Army camp in Iraq in 9 days, VERY fast for there which is normally weeks. In USA, took TWO DAYS. Cole will custom ANYTHING, including gluing a topsheet to a sponge for you if you really want a precise custom rubber. If you are US and oversees, USPS shipping is important. Cole must have hooked up DOZENS of troops oversees with some free goodies, that was just through me, if he did that with others, run that number up to the hundreds or thousands. ... and Cole doesn't run his shop to get rich, just to serve.

His "Budget Looper" setup for $36 USD and $7 shipping is a complete bat and bat case delivered... and the price come in at under the price of a modern rubber.