Net tension?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
If a smash hits the top of the net without much change in trajectory, its too loose. Shouldn't be too hard to put some tension in though.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2017
There is a tool (actually a metal weight) for the tension, you just hang in the middle first, adjust the tension so it just hangs freely in the middle. After that, you set the height correctly by measuring with the plastic ruler in the middle, and at 30cm from each net post.

ITTF has some PDF documents about the procedure. The metal weight looks like this:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DHS...e-Net-Rubber-Ping-Pong-Ruler/32617677464.html

You would be surprised how many net setups got the wrong tension. Very often the tension is set too low.

Last edited:

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
Could the net be too tight? right now the clamps arent sitting flat, but the ball still just crawls over the net without any trajectory change at all

Take the net out of the clamps/posts completely. Install the clamps onto the table first ensuring they're firmly screwed on. Then plug the net into the tops of the posts, set the height correctly with the gauge, and lastly set the tension of the net with the string/chain arrangement before double-checking the height.

If you've bought a clip-on net rather than one where you screw the clamps to the table........ well good luck with that one !! I know it's an old cliche but you truly do get what you pay for.

Reactions: Tony's Table Tennis
says Aging is a killer
Buy only high quality clip-ons

If you've bought a clip-on net rather than one where you screw the clamps to the table........ well good luck with that one !! I know it's an old cliche but you truly do get what you pay for.

Nothing wrong with good quality Clip-on nets. In fact, I find them better than screw type. Reason being that players tend to over tighten the screw resulting in damage to the table. We have been using the same nets at our club for over 10 years. No damage to table and they fit just as firm as the screw on type
But, one does need to buy the best quality ones.

Reactions: yoass and whocarez
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Bought a new stiga net and now there seem to be a lot more net balls(somebody topspins/chops and the ball doesnt even bounce on the net it just crosses).
Is the net not tense enough? i used the little tool that came in the box but looks like it only works for height

Can you post a photo of the net. Then it will be clear what you have and what is needed.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Tension? Carl gots lots of tensions, Goon Squad after hiz tail at all odd hours and times.

Tension? Ah-Ten-Shun !!! Attention to order, Carl gave a request.

Tension, once you get a feel for a not so loose tension, net will not be issue.

A Korean club in L.A. has a big sign up that in English means...

Nets and Edges are not Luck, they are a SKILL.

Tension? Don't sweat it and laugh like Benny Hill next time opponent gets a net. He/she will be so confused, you might win the next 4 points on the trot.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Take the net out of the clamps/posts completely. Install the clamps onto the table first ensuring they're firmly screwed on. Then plug the net into the tops of the posts, set the height correctly with the gauge, and lastly set the tension of the net with the string/chain arrangement before double-checking the height.

That is good advice.

I went to a new club once, where evidently, all the nets were set like that 1/8-1/4 inch high. They had been playing that way for awhile. I finally caught the error when I had my net measure with me. It took someone a bit of time to fix 8 tables of nets.

Reactions: JHB
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Tension? Carl gots lots of tensions, Goon Squad after hiz tail at all odd hours and times.

Tension? Ah-Ten-Shun !!! Attention to order, Carl gave a request.

Tension, once you get a feel for a not so loose tension, net will not be issue.

A Korean club in L.A. has a big sign up that in English means...

Nets and Edges are not Luck, they are a SKILL.

Tension? Don't sweat it and laugh like Benny Hill next time opponent gets a net. He/she will be so confused, you might win the next 4 points on the trot.

gwaen chanh a yo sup

Reactions: Der_Echte

JHB

says Aged and infirm of purpose
Actually it seems to be becoming more difficult to get good-quality (as opposed to merely expensive) nets. Around two years back the coach/chairman at my club bought and installed six Butterfly Europa nets. The posts were excellent, but sadly the nets themselves were only average at best. Consequently it was no more than a year later that we turned up one day to discover they'd all been replaced with Joola WM net/post sets. Ker-chiiing ! Another GBP 300+ down the tubes !

says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
TO HAVE THE NET CORD PROPERLY TENSED IS AN IMPORTANCE OVERWHELMING.

As is a common knowledge with experienced table tennis folks, "It is better to have the net cord over-tight than over-loosen ", as it is against the Rules to let the net cord trembling while a rallie is on.

[size=+2] HOW DO I CHECK THE NET CORD TENSION ?
-- Let the standard 100 gramme gauge hang freely on the mid of the net cord using the 14,25 notch , and see if the gauge's bottomside touches the table surface. If it does, the cord is too slacked.
[/size]

Handbook For Match Officials said:
PLAYING CONDITIONS.
It is important for the umpire or assistant umpire to check both the height of the net
and the tension of the net-cord. This should be done prior to every match, including
team matches within a team competition. It is not really satisfactory just to estimate
the tension by finger touch and several manufacturers have produced weighted net gauges,
which ensure consistency. These gauges, which weigh exactly 100g, have two notches,
one at 15.25cm and the other 14.25cm. The weighted gauge should only be
used to check the tension – it is not advisable to use it for checking the height.

After the height has been checked using a plastic net gauge, the "weighted" gauge is rested
on the top of the net, in the centre, and the tension adjusted until the bottom of the gauge
just touches the playing surface. If necessary, quickly recheck the height at each end after
the tension has been adjusted. Do not use the plastic gauge and "weighted" gauge at the same time.
Also when checking the net it is important to ensure that the clamp is attached as close as possible to the table.
Ensure that there is no cord hanging down from the net post which could affect the ball or distract the players.

Last edited:
says Aging is a killer
Don't worry too much about going to the expense and inconvenience of having a metal weight for normal club play.
The metal weight gauge was brought in because players used to break the net cord whilst overdoing the tightening of the net. These days, the net cords are much stronger, presumably Nylon(?)
Pull the net cord fairly tightly and use the height gauge (measurer) to make sure that the middle does not droop too much. In most cases, a finger twang test is a good enough estimate of proper tension.