Varnish from Home Depot or Lows?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
Varnish from Home Depot or Lowes?

Is it safe to use varnish from Home Depot or Lowes? If so, which kind would be the safest? Do I even need to use varnish? I’m attempting to use Butterfly’s Free Chack (not 2) on a Stiga Azalea Off with Yasaka Mark V rubber sheets.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yes. Either of those locations will have something good.

My favorite is:

- MinWax Wipe-On Poly

You apply a thin layer with a cloth. It makes it so you can apply a layer that is much thinner than from a regular sealant. Wipe-On Poly is made thin. All you need is a very thin layer. You won't need more than one layer. That will protect the wood.

You do not need to add sealant. But sealant protects the wood. With blades from Stiga it is worth adding sealant. Stiga blade's are notorious for having thin, delicate top plies. I like sealant on all my blades. But especially Stiga. Stiga blades have great feeling. But they can be a little delicate.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2019
Yes. Either of those locations will have something good.

My favorite is:

- MinWax Wipe-On Poly

You apply a thin layer with a cloth. It makes it so you can apply a layer that is much thinner than from a regular sealant. Wipe-On Poly is made thin. All you need is a very thin layer. You won't need more than one layer. That will protect the wood.

You do not need to add sealant. But sealant protects the wood. With blades from Stiga it is worth adding sealant. Stiga blade's are notorious for having thin, delicate top plies. I like sealant on all my blades. But especially Stiga. Stiga blades have great feeling. But they can be a little delicate.

Wow, thank you for all of this information! Would you recommend I also seal the handle? And if I seal the handle, does it make it washable? Sometimes I sweat, and in combination with the oil makes it look gross.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Wow, thank you for all of this information! Would you recommend I also seal the handle? And if I seal the handle, does it make it washable? Sometimes I sweat, and in combination with the oil makes it look gross.

The handles are made to absorb sweat so your hand does not remain as wet when you are playing. I feel, sealant on the handle makes the handle slippery. It also prevents the wood from helping keep your hand dryer. I personally hate how it feels when the handle has been sealed. But I know people who do seal their handles. I just think it messes with how you hold the racket, so I personally don't feel it is functional.

But it would be up to you. I am a guy who likes when my blades look old, used, beat up, battle scarred, dirty and nicely dinged. I think it gives them a good look. A good sturdy blade will earn some nice dings and can hold up as it is being banged around.

But that is just my opinion. Feel free to seal the handle if you want. :)

Last edited: