Help with RPB Equipment

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Hi! I am new at this site, I just only started about 1 year and a half playing RPB. I want to ask you guys if you can help me with good choices for equipment. Im currently using a Rosewood NCT V ( penhold)
, a "national hurricane 3" (purchased from tabletennis11) for my forehand, and a evolution fx-p for backhand. I dont very comfortable with my backhand, is really weak, i cant do a good backhand topspin, and fast and spin strokes , and i feel the blade really heavy. Can you guys help me with a better equipment option?

Thanks in advance!

(Sorry if my english is not good, im from Chile (South America)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
I will say stick with your current setup. it should be a good setup that can last you very long. If you feel that your blade is heavy, try extending out your middle and ring fingers when holding the blade. (Both the middle and ring finger should be supporting the blade) ,then just play more with the setup to get used to the weight. For backhand topspin, I feel that the motion is like throwing a frisbee, so the motion should be mainly your forearm extending out and ending off with a little flick of the wrist ( minus tossing out your blade unlike frisbee haha) hope this helps :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Hurricane 3 is a very heavy rubber. How do you feel with your forehand. Maybe try a lighter rubber for your forehand to make the whole racket a bit lighter. I think the main part why you can't do a topspin is not because of the rubber but because of your technique. I think practicing your technique would help your backhand topspin. Also maybe try doing lots of backhand drives so you can feel comfortable with the motion. FX-P is also a rubber that isn't slow and maybe it has too much catapult for you. If you have been playing RPB for only a year and a half and if you started with FX-P it might be really hard for you to develop a stroke because it might have too much catapult. Maybe change your rubber into something that is a bit slower and forgiving like for example, XIOM VEGA PRO. It will help you develop the correct stroke and it wont be too bouncy.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
I have never had any of my kids jump on 5m poles. I dont know what pole to move to next.For example if we have a 4.90 14.5 flex and I want a 5m pole that would be the equivalent to a 4.90 14.1, what size pole would that be?Thanks for any help

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Hi! I am new at this site, I just only started about 1 year and a half playing RPB. I want to ask you guys if you can help me with good choices for equipment. Im currently using a Rosewood NCT V ( penhold)
, a "national hurricane 3" (purchased from tabletennis11) for my forehand, and a evolution fx-p for backhand. I dont very comfortable with my backhand, is really weak, i cant do a good backhand topspin, and fast and spin strokes , and i feel the blade really heavy. Can you guys help me with a better equipment option?

Thanks in advance!

(Sorry if my english is not good, im from Chile (South America)

Hi Sagakichi, I have played penhold for a number of years. FXP is a medium heavy rubber. Hurricane 3 is quite heavy. Rosewood NCT is not light. So I am not surprised you find your setup heavy! It surely affects the stability and recovery of RPB unless you have long and strong arms. Having said that FXP is a fairly spinny rubber though.

For a stable RPB your wrist must not wobble. You can train your wrist using weights.

Since Rosewood NCT is quite hard, it can go well with numerous light-weight soft rubbers designed for RPB out there - Focus III, Tibhar Nimbus sound, Gewo Thunderbird 2, Andro R37, T64 or T64 FX. There are many more. My personal favourite is Gewo Thunderbird 2 which is half tacky.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
How much is the total weight? H3 is not that heavy by Chinese standards but stiga blades do tend to be head heavy thus the "slip" after rpb flicks.

I gave up on RPB about a year ago but when I was experimenting, Xiom Vega asia was the best I found. 2.0mm is more than enough and cut to size only weighs 41g.

With double inverted you don't have much weight room to work with, but changing your grip might help. My RPB grip was fairly deep, wide index finger, and extended 2 fingers on the back. Focus on RPB flicks and drives, the angle and swing motion is too limited for full on looping.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2018
Hi Sagakichi, I have played penhold for a number of years. FXP is a medium heavy rubber. Hurricane 3 is quite heavy. Rosewood NCT is not light. So I am not surprised you find your setup heavy! It surely affects the stability and recovery of RPB unless you have long and strong arms. Having said that FXP is a fairly spinny rubber though.

For a stable RPB your wrist must not wobble. You can train your wrist using weights.

Since Rosewood NCT is quite hard, it can go well with numerous light-weight soft rubbers designed for RPB out there - Focus III, Tibhar Nimbus sound, Gewo Thunderbird 2, Andro R37, T64 or T64 FX. There are many more. My personal favourite is Gewo Thunderbird 2 which is half tacky.
Thank you for the help!, i will try to use weight to train my wrist. And I wil try one the rubber you named. I ve thinking about changing my blade to a Yasaka Ma Lin Extra Ofensive. Some people recommended me that blade for RPB. It is good ?